stuck throttle

wood

having problems with a sticking throttle,i have a twist grip,tors is removed,i have tried alot of things to fix the problem,lube the cable,cleaned the carbs,smoothed the slides,the caps are not to tight,sinked the carbs,i need some help,i wanted to know if an air leak could make it rive that high,thanks.

when a cable sticks you can feel it in your hand because when you let off the cable will go slack (if it is sticking in the slide) or the the lever or twist won't return(usually if it is the cable that is sticking) If the the rpms fall really slowly or if it takes very little amount of gas to get it to rev way up you are most likly lean. Also if it only happens when you turn right it is because your cable is getting hung up.

most of the time is in real wet riding,i heard that an air leak could make it rev high so i was thinking that maybe at a high rpm it was sucking in air.

If you think it is leaking air do a pressure test. If I thought for a minute my motor was leaking that's what I would do. An air leak on a 2 stroke is bad news and usually will result in at least a top end if not more depending on how bad and how long it was riden in a lean condition. I am sure most will agree it is easier and less expensive to pressure test and be sure then to run it lean!

SP

This has happened on my shee, acouple of times and it is scary as hell..

Before I had my complete motor rebuilt this happened, did a leak down test and nothing, so I cleaned the carbs and forgot about it..

I had my motor done, top and bottom, everything new, gaskets, seal, everything, It happened to me again and this time the bike through me on my ass so fast i didnt even kno what happened, luckily I was wearing my kill switch and nothing happened to the shee...

I was told that this is caused when moisture or some sort gets inside the carb...

Was it real cold when this happened to you, did you go through water or something?

Try loosening the tops of carbs (caps) as i have seen this many of times.. I like to put them on just lightly snug and then use the L shape holders on the side of carb to hold them from coming loose.

Also have seen the locating dowels in side the barrel of carb get tweaked. BUT i think your problem is the carb tops.

This has been a common problem with many Banshees that run the stock carbs for as long as I can remember. Mine used to do it as well. The best 'fix' is to get aftermarket carbs (that is what I did and I couldn't be happier about it). You can play around with the stock carbs and you might find a working solution for yours. Do a search and you'll see that this has been discussion hundreds of times. Here is a link to one of my favorites.

Old Topic Link

most of the time is in real wet riding,i heard that an air leak could make it rev high so i was thinking that maybe at a high rpm it was sucking in air.

The ezest way to see if you have a air leack is to get a cand of starting fluid or some carb cleaner. start the motor and let it idle, then get off and whyl it is idling spray the starting fluid/carb cleaner all over the in takes reeds and everything, if the motor bogs you have a air leack if it stays constant then you are probily safe.

Chevshee

BTW, I don't think an air leak will cause a stuck throttle. High rev maybe, but not stuck. Does it feel like the carbs are pulling the trottle closed or does it feel like the cable is slack? Also, I have a hard time believing you would only have an air leak when you get it wet. My opinion for what it's worth.

carb caps are only hand tight,checked and cleaned throttle cable is moving free,it ran great then i washed it and the throttle hung up again,i think water is getting into the carbs and making the slides stick,i let it sit for the night rode it the next and it great.