About to purchase paddles? little help..

hollisatp

I have seen other posts like this but I dont want to hyjack someones thread..

With my mods can anyone give me a idea of the type of paddles would work well?

21-12-8 8 paddle haulers

I agree with theshee, I'd go with a 21" 8 paddle, or a 9 paddle if you plan on porting or other mods down the road. Paddles will last for a long time if you take care of them, so if you go with the 9's and plan on doing mods down the road you will already have the beefier paddle. 8's are a good paddle choice for your current setup though.

I have seen other posts like this but I dont want to hyjack someones thread..

With my mods can anyone give me a idea of the type of paddles would work well?

Give Daryl a shout....sand tires are his business.

http://www.sandtires.com/

Nice guy to chat with.

I'm running 21x12x8 8 paddle and am happy with the way they work. I'm slightly slower off the line occasionally (not every time, only sometimes) but usually make it up after 50'-75' or so...and it just keeps pulling. Since this is my first quad, I don't have a lot of personal experience, but it seems that tire selection depends on your sand type and length of run too.

If you are hitting a short hill, then getting off the line is probably most important. More paddles wouild be better.

But if you are running a longer hill like Olds, you may actually prefer a little bit of spin to run in the powerband better. 8 or 9 paddle may be better for you. Like I said, I'm running 8 paddles.

I bought my 21x12x8x8s at http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.do for a pretty good price...about $210 shipped.

Great Customer Service too!! :thumbsup:

I think the 21x12x8 10 paddle tires were about $230 shipped.

Jay From SanD.

I have 9 inch rims. so they sell 21x11x9 with 8 paddles for $101.. Sound like a good deal?

I forgot to ask what type of riding you do. I have 2 sets of rear wheels/tires. One set is the 21x12x8" Haulers and the other is 21x12x10 Skat Trak II V Paddle tires. They are both great at their intended purpose and are compromised at the other.

By that, I mean the haulers are outstanding in straight line riding, but are not so much fun trying to slide around in turns and bowls. You can get them to slide, but then they hook up and sling shot you out.

The SK IIs don't have the same bite as the Haulers drag racing up the hill (but are still fun to hill shoot with) and probably cost a few bike lengths by the time you get to the top, but they are WAAAAYYYY more fun to ride on in the dunes for just general play riding. No comparison in that context.

So it really depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. I know some may disagree with my experience but this is just my observation with what I've done so far. Maybe the 10" haulers are flatter and would work better than my 8" rim 21"s would because my tires are pretty much shaped like a donut and not so sliding friendly, but I can't verify that.

There are a million V Paddle versus Hauler posts on this forum but the short version is if you race, you need Haulers...if you dune more, V Paddles would be probably more fulfilling.

As for your 9" wheels: Buy new wheels...the aluminum is nice and light...it does make a difference!!

I just looked at the RMATV site and the only Haulers they have for a 9" rim are 20x11x9 8 paddle tires. They run $102 each or $204 for the pair. You might as well spend the extra $15 and have a set of mounted wheels on nice, light, shiny new aluminum wheels!!

Anyone use or try out the AMS sidewinders?? rockey mount has them in 21x11x8... I was thinking of putting them on ITP .190 polished rims.... any thoughts?? I think id rather get the sidewinder style for sliding than the straight paddles.. I gotta purchase monday in the morning.. so any last words would be much appreciated..