carb/ throttle question

BIGSHO

my throttle stuck wide open the other day out riding. i checked the cable and all is fine. i took the cap off the top of the carb and inside there, where the cable goes in to the carb there is no tension on the cable. when i pull on the throttle cable it does not pull back into the carb by itself. if i push the thumb throttle the cable pulls back in, but it wont do it by itself. the other side is fine. is there a spring inside the carb itself that should return the throttle to idle. do i need a whole new carb? thanks....bigsho

Pull the tops off the carbs and check. Unscrew the cap and pull everything straight up and out of the carb body. If there is dirt on top of the slide, you may have to clean it out with carb cleaner before the slide will move freely.

There should be an O ring on top of the body under the cap. There should also be a rubber grommet around the cable where it goes into the cap.

If you have dirt anywhere in the carb, find out how it is getting in there and fix it!

While on the topic...Are there many ways to make the throttle on a Banshee lighter? I've heard of people switching the thumb mechanism with one off of a 400ex or something with a bigger thumb lever.

Is it possible, or a good idea, to trim the carb springs?

I find my throttle to be fine, unless i am riding a long time at 3/4ish throttle, like down a road or something. Thats normally when it becomes a bit sore, especially in the cold.

the cable moves freely. when i push the thumb throttle the cable pulls in through the top of the carb. when i let go of the throttle the cable stays down. i can just pull the cable back out with my hand but it doesn't return by itself. is something stuck inside the carb?

Edited by BIGSHO

the cap is where the dirt was getting in, where the cable goes throught the cap had duct tape on it. i just got the bike not too long ago and never fixed that. but no with the slide and all out it still doesn't return. the only way the cable moves is to push the throttle or pull the cable back out by hand.