Starting prob

mavguy

Hey, i recently did some work (K/N, Dynojet kit) to my unit, and it runs good, except that if i let it sit for about a week, it won't start unless i dribble fuel directly into the cylinders. once i do this, it starts fine, and as long as a keep starting it every few days, it runs like a normal 'shee.

I will do a compression test sometime next week, my theory right now is that the top end is worn (swallowed some sand i think, damn stock filter setup) and doesn't have enough vacumm to pull fuel out through the carb if it isn't in all the circuits. This makes some sense, maybe, because when you let a machine sit, some of the fuel evaporates, and if the motor can not suck hard enough to pull it from the float bowls, that may cause my problem.

I am am pretty sure my reeds are in decent shape.

I don't know, and it's a pain in the ass. Any ideas?

Hey, i recently did some work (K/N, Dynojet kit) to my unit, and it runs good, except that if i let it sit for about a week, it won't start unless i dribble fuel directly into the cylinders. once i do this, it starts fine, and as long as a keep starting it every few days, it runs like a normal 'shee.

I will do a compression test sometime next week, my theory right now is that the top end is worn (swallowed some sand i think, damn stock filter setup) and doesn't have enough vacumm to pull fuel out through the carb if it isn't in all the circuits. This makes some sense, maybe, because when you let a machine sit, some of the fuel evaporates, and if the motor can not suck hard enough to pull it from the float bowls, that may cause my problem.

I am am pretty sure my reeds are in decent shape.

I don't know, and it's a pain in the ass. Any ideas?

what pilot jet is in it ? did the temp change drastic sinse you last ran it and when you went to start it did you have it choked ?

I have had this same problem with 2 of my banshees for the longest time, I don't understand what it is...If I let it sit for a while, It'll either take 20 kicks or a shot of carb cleaner in the choke tube/intake to get it started...but once the bike warms up, it'll fire up first kick all day long. If I change the pilot jet, it'll start when cold, but doesn't run that well at part throttle...I just started living with it, lol. I have fresh top end, good compression, bottom end is sealed, reeds are new, no leaking gaskets, carbs are clean and have been blown out w/ compressed air...I've only had this problem with the stock carbs though, I've never experienced this problem w/ aftermarket carbs. :shrug:

Sorry I'm not much help, but figured I'd let you know you're not the only one, LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ran it for awile, tightened all the boots, changed back to normal plugs (i was using iriduim ones, which did work very well) bit my tongue and hooked up the choke tube (hehe oops, BUT the problem was there before i took the carbs off) and it seems very happy now

I will fuck with it more tommorow

I noticed mine was hard to start after sitting. I had a boat motor that would do the same thing and I was told to remove the fuel line and run the motor until it ran the carb dry of fuel before storeing for even a short time, it fixed the problem and the motor always started in a couple of pulls. I started draining the carb bowls on our banshees when we were finished with them for the weekend and they started up the next trip on the first few kicks. I think some of the fuel evaporates leaving thick oil and fuel in the carb bowl. In the boat motor carb the orfices were so small they easily were plugged until fresh fuel would redissolve the gunk.

Edited by Lepew

I noticed mine was hard to start after sitting. I had a boat motor that would do the same thing and I was told to remove the fuel line and run the motor until it ran the carb dry of fuel before storeing for even a short time, it fixed the problem and the motor always started in a couple of pulls. I started draining the carb bowls on our banshees when we were finished with them for the weekend and they started up the next trip on the first few kicks. I think some of the fuel evaporates leaving thick oil and fuel in the carb bowl. In the boat motor carb the orfices were so small they easily were plugged until fresh fuel would redissolve the gunk.

This has been my experence also. It takes no work to get the gas out before you put it away and it always starts first or second kick the next time I try and 2 of my bike sat for 2 years.

That actually makes alot of sense-Before, when i first had the machine, i rode often and used high quality amsoil. Now I don't have as much time, and I usually just get some cheap oil from wherever I can (small town, AMSOIL is only available at a few places, so often I can be screwed when i find time to ride).

I didn't notice this trend, or more acurately, i never thought it would make a difference. I can start the machine 1 kick everyday this week...

When I am done playing I will either drain the carbs or run it out of fuel (just shut the petcock off and idle it till it dies)

thanks a tonne