coolant questions...

ok. now i have questions about coolant. i read people talking about water wetter, and engine ice (is there a difference? which is better?). i have also heard that you aren't supposed to use regular antifreeze in banshees. what i'm trying to figure out is what i am supposed to use for coolant.

i am not running it on a track or anything. do i just use water wetter mixed 50/50 with distilled water? or do i use antifreeze of some sort? my other bike is a blaster so i didn't deal with coolant.

thanks.

you dont want to run anti freeze becasue its not a coolant, its jst to keep the fluid from freezing in cold weather.

with water wetter you have to do the math for the amount of distilled water and mix it. its NO WHERE near 50/50 its only a couple cap fulls for a whole gallon. they both work great but water wetter does not have any freeze protection where as engin ice does, so if you live where it freezes get engin ice. its premixed so you dump it right in there.

I would just use Engine Ice, but you can use just your normal prestone/ water 50/50 mix and add a couple cap fulls of Water wetter or you can just use water and water wetter mixed how ever it is suppose to be mixed.

or you can put it on alcohol and just use water! :biggrin:

I can touch the cylinders after a couple passes down the track!

The problem with just running water is that you don't get any of the surfactant or corrosion protection that Water Wetter or Engine Ice offers. Plus, Water Wetter is accepted at most racing facilities.

I hate to get on my soap box about this, but I am afraid the weird internet rumor that it is best run straight tap water for coolant if you use alcohol as a fuel is just that, a weird internet rumor. I wouldn't be surprised if it started over on PS. :biggrin:

The problem with just running water is that you don't get any of the surfactant or corrosion protection that Water Wetter or Engine Ice offers. Plus, Water Wetter is accepted at most racing facilities.

I hate to get on my soap box about this, but I am afraid the weird internet rumor that it is best run straight tap water for coolant if you use alcohol as a fuel is just that, a weird internet rumor. I wouldn't be surprised if it started over on PS. :biggrin:

Used water in my bike all year, only had the motor broken down once since I put straight water in it...no issues buddy.

I only put 50/50 in it a few weeks ago cause it's mid 20's right now....

I should add, as well. Last year I used straight water in my 4 mil cub on gas. It had a lot of compression, a TON of timing, and I duned the bike with JT and crew. never once did it get hot, overheat, etc. And that motor and the whole internals of my motor looked perfect as well....

Now...would I leave straight tap water in my bike for years? No.... But I have no issue leaving it in for a complete season if nothing goes boom...:)

There is no reason why it would run hot by running straight water, but there is 3 reasons why we run coolant in the system.

1. to increase boiling point.

2. to reduce corosion

3. to reduce freezing points

I do not recommend running straight water in any engine only due to the increase in corrosion that will occur

Now...would I leave straight tap water in my bike for years? No.... But I have no issue leaving it in for a complete season if nothing goes boom...:)

This is what I was getting at. Most folks don't drain there coolant as often as someone who drag races their bike, etc. :geek: