banshee or raptor

i have a 03 banshee with fmf fattys and powercore 2 silencers boost bottle, gncc tires and unfortunatly a stock suspension. and i have a 2004 raptor 660 with a large amount of mods. the thing is that i dont see myself throwing a raptor around for 2-3 hours, even though i know a banshee aint to much easier. i guess im lookin for tip and suggestions. should i race the banshee or the raptor, and depending on which one what kind of a setup should i prepare my wallet for. another option i might have is selling the raptor for a yfz 450 which then obviously i would race that, but right now thats not in the cards. i will appreciate all help.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look at hollister hitmans banshee...

a nice setup like that you will be in good shape...

dmcbanshee is a good setup..

you want a good mx port, low end pipes( paul turners dmc 916 etc etc) v force reedcages

a single carb setup will help you alot...

good set of +2/+3 +1 a arms and after market shocks set up for your weight and riding level..

- 2 swinger arm wth extended axle...

thos mods you will have a nice little setup...

i have a 03 banshee with fmf fattys and powercore 2 silencers boost bottle, gncc tires and unfortunatly a stock suspension. and i have a 2004 raptor 660 with a large amount of mods. the thing is that i dont see myself throwing a raptor around for 2-3 hours, even though i know a banshee aint to much easier. i guess im lookin for tip and suggestions. should i race the banshee or the raptor, and depending on which one what kind of a setup should i prepare my wallet for. another option i might have is selling the raptor for a yfz 450 which then obviously i would race that, but right now thats not in the cards. i will appreciate all help.

I used to own a pretty much stock Raptor that I used for the track that I loved. I am a bigger guy so I could control it a bit easier, but I have a friend that is over 55 on a 660 that races it and does really well. He did have a different suspension up front (yfz450 shocks, ASR +2, +1 front end) that did fairly well. The yfz450 is definetly the way to go, but get a different front end setup and maybe a lowering kit on the raptor, and it would do fine!

I am not dogging the banshee for this, but for me I thought the raptor did a little better.

thanks for the advice zach45, i will have to look into that, should i change my sprocket gearing, front and back are stock right now.

hyperlite, what class would the raptor be in if i raced it? open class? im keeping all options open right now, id love to race a banshee its a relic and everyone knows it, but if its not worth my time and money ill have to look into the raptor which already has alot of work done to it. im 200 pounds and 6 feet tall and the suspension is setup for me i just dont hear alot about raptors racing....any more input would be appriciated

hyperlite, what class would the raptor be in if i raced it? open class? im keeping all options open right now, id love to race a banshee its a relic and everyone knows it, but if its not worth my time and money ill have to look into the raptor which already has alot of work done to it. im 200 pounds and 6 feet tall and the suspension is setup for me i just dont hear alot about raptors racing....any more input would be appriciated

Not to sure what class the rappy would be in, next time I talk to him I'll ask him. Since you already have the suspension on the raptor dialed for your size, I would go with that. I have seen some wicked banshees race, but they require quite a bit of money to set up and you have to fight the powerband constantly. Another guy I know raced banshees and switched to the yfz450 and couldn't believe the difference. Parts of the track that he would struggle on became a thing of the past with the YFZ450.

PM dmcbanshee and see what he thinks...

like chevy7398 said if its set up right it will be really great. ive ridden banshees mostly but ive ridden other bikes like the 450s which everyone says is so amaizing. the thing is i dont see it. the right banshee is just as good. i think its more the rider. alot of people just say bad things about banshees because there just going w what everyone else is saying and they really have no idea. yes it will be expensive to build the banshee to where you want it but its still just as exp. alot of times more exp. on the four strokes.

maybe im im given the banshee more credit than it deserves but this is just my opinion

what ever you go w let us know, esp if you go w the banshee and need some help w the set up

good luck

alright guys i think im gonna go with the banshee, if always wanted to so why not. now how much am i looking at money wise for suspension, should i go with a -1 or -2 swingarm, what kind of a-arms, shocks, ect ect. ive already looked at some of your guys setups but more opinions are appreciated. im lookin to not spend to much right off the bat, but will eventually upgrade to the best. right now i just need a good start, should i change my pipes to gnarlys or keep the fmf fattys, should i change my sproket gearing.....

well the first question is how much can you spend?

the reason why is because we can put together an inxepsive start for you but thats not always the best move. for example when i wanted some new handlebars i wanted fasst flexx bars but thought they were too expensive so i bought some pro tapers for 70 bucks. a year later i still wanted the flexx bars and ended up buying them. well if i had just bought them to start with i could have saved 70 bucks and put that towards something else. so its not always the best route to get a quick inexp. set up that will work. sometimes its better to buy one or two really good parts that you will never have to change as you become a better racer and need to grow. does this make sense.

I cant say from experience but from what ive read i would go w the -2 swing arm. im looking to get one in the next couple months myself.

look into extended a arms, better front shocks for now, back later, maybe a 2 inot 1 carb, keep the pipes you have. again i let me know what your looking to spend and i can give you a better idea.

oh ya good move on the banshee, you can make them pretty insane.

im on a pretty tight budget right now, but i do understand where ur comin from it makes sense, so ill go with ur advise and get extended a arms and front shocks and maybe a swingarm...then go from there, any opinions on good parts??? do u think my fatty pipes will really do the job then? ive heard people doing gncc and mx like 916's and gnarlys????

with money being tight right now i would keep the fatty's. ive never ridden the fatty's but ive heard they have good low end which is what you need. with that said i would spend the money on the front end first. after everthings together and you get some more money you can then figure out if you want to change the pipes.