How strong are Hiper wheels?

fishwater

I am thinking I need to get a pretty tough rim, I keep smashing the outside of my factory wheels, still no bends yet but only a matter of time. The trails I ride are very rocky. I am thinking Hipers may be strong enough. I know the Tech 3's have the best warranty & replaceable beadlocks that will act as rock rings. For woods & rock riding will these hold up? I was going to just buy a pair of Quad Roks or C-Series but as soon as I nick the side of the rim I will be upset. Plus my real fear is that I bend any of the rims, cosmetic is one thing but bending would be really annoying. So are Hipers really bomb proof or what?

I am thinking I need to get a pretty tough rim, I keep smashing the outside of my factory wheels, still no bends yet but only a matter of time. The trails I ride are very rocky. I am thinking Hipers may be strong enough. I know the Tech 3's have the best warranty & replaceable beadlocks that will act as rock rings. For woods & rock riding will these hold up? I was going to just buy a pair of Quad Roks or C-Series but as soon as I nick the side of the rim I will be upset. Plus my real fear is that I bend any of the rims, cosmetic is one thing but bending would be really annoying. So are Hipers really bomb proof or what?

they are really good wheels and willl hold up to trails very well. i had a set on my yfz awhile back and was very satisfied.

my buddy has them on his Raptor 700, and has had no problems.

The places we ride used to cause him to get alot of bead leaks, and since he put those on hasnt had one.

This past weekend we went to a former ore mine, with lots and lots of BIG rocks, no problems.

I have C series with holeshot HD's all around and the edges did get dinged up but not that bad.

If ya got the money go for it!

They are made well and have a good design but still arent as strong as Douglas Beadlocks. Ive heard to many horror storyes of Hipers comming apart on a GNCC track to ever buy a set.

They are made well and have a good design but still arent as strong as Douglas Beadlocks. Ive heard to many horror storyes of Hipers comming apart on a GNCC track to ever buy a set.

douglas beadlocks are very strong but they are heavy as hell. i have only heard a couple storys about hipers coming apart and both were because of dumbasses doing something that would destroy any rim. i had mine for along ass time before i got rid of them and never had a problem. :shrug:

douglas beadlocks are very strong but they are heavy as hell. i have only heard a couple storys about hipers coming apart and both were because of dumbasses doing something that would destroy any rim. i had mine for along ass time before i got rid of them and never had a problem. :shrug:

Yes they are heavier and after all of this aftermarket stuff I have on weight is becoming a concern but as far as rims go I absolutly need beadlocks and Im going with the stronger heavier pair. All it takes is getting into a rutted out trail and banging the sides of the rim and I dont need anything comming apart on me. Now if I was sponcered or could get them cheap Ide definatly run Hipers for all around riding and non points racing but for AWRCS Its Douglas with Razr 2s when I can afford the rims. I want my steering stabilizer first though.

• 1 month later...

I have a set of rear hiper beadlocks. Only thing i would say is they are very very heavy. Aluminium beadlocks are a good bit lighter than the hipers but the dual beadlock is a good idea. I got a flat wheel in a race and managed to keep going till the end (around 5 laps) because the hiper held the wheel on. The outer ring broke up into bits but the main rim was ok. I managed to keep 1st place and win the race :smile:

If you arent worried about weight id say go for them!

my dads buddy has a 4 mil and it happened to him, i was looking at the hipers before i bought my itp's and he said not to due to them coming apart, was some drag races in northern cali this happened at

about a 1 1/2 yrs ago there was a recall on the hyper wheels with the intergrated hub, theres no issues now with the tech 3 or cf1.. i got a set of cf1's, i also have a set of bajas and the bajas are way heavier than the hipers.

weight is not an issue, if it is dont start with the wheels. start with removing nerf bars and other stuff.

Obviously everybody's going to have different preferences on wheels, just like pipes and pre-mix oils. I bought a set of hipers for my trail beast, and there were 3 big things that drew me to them.

1- Everybody I have talked to that ran them said they will take a major ass kicking.

2- If you do manage to break them, there wheels come apart in pieces, an inside half, an outside half, a billet hub section, and of course the rings, you can easily replace just the part you break.

3- They are by far the lightest beadlocks availible. Of course they are heavier then a .125 Aluminum wheel, but that's an unfair comparison. If you need beadlocks, these will be the lightest out there. Anyone will tell you reducing the unsprung weight(wheels and tires, etc. is going to be an easy way to gain extra power.

Also, Hiper used to make non-beadlocked wheels for flat trackers, pretty neat idea, and definately a lot lighter if you don't need the bead locks.

Here's a pic of the ones I got with Holeshot HDs on my bike:

build1023072.jpg

I am running itp bajas, they have non beadlock rings and are pretty light. If you can bend one, a bent rims will be the least of your concern...

100_4166.jpg

I bent a front baja on my first ride with them...but my hipers have taken a beating. My only complaint with my hipers is that it's easy to knick up the rings and they're kind of expensive to replace at $25 a piece (6 rings on mine).