E85 powered banshee

austin

I have been watching this thread with much delight. I have be doing reserch on this fuel and decided to put my 700 Raptor( I know not a banshee) on it to see how it would work. I choose my Raptor because ot the tunning ability. I had It set up on methanol (alcohol) and I had a rather large injector 750cc (stock is 450cc). I went back to the stock injector and kept my meth tune. My meth tune was 54% richer than my gas tune with the big Injector. If you are still with me ( I am trying to give the base point for me) so after I changed the injector I knew that I still had some work to do but I was safe.

So all of my Reading I found the E-85 needs to be about 30% richer then my gas tune. I am at 54% I am safe so I ride it, It runs good but feels a bit rich. So I return to the truck and lean it 10 % but it still did not feel snapy. So I went to the computer and put it 30% richer than my gas tune and 24% leaner then my meth tune . It felt great but seemed to not be right now. So we did a plug chop and pulled the plug. The plug showed signs of detonation. I went back to the computer and Incressed the fuel by 10% and had the shee ride it. AS SOON as he took off I told ghostrider "thats it" sounded crisp and snapy.

Ride Report:

It felt every bit as strong as the methanol (ON A FOUR STROKE) and used less fuel than meth. I ran the bike hard. Many hill climbs duning and of course lots of drag racing. No problems hope theshee will see this and post some video of it. It has a smell that......well stinks. The fuel its self made my want to vomit when I worked around it. But with it at $2.09 a gallon and a between 101-105 octane it is a great fuel.

I wanted to see what would happen with the fuel and was suprized. It can be made to work in a 4 wheeler and I hope this info helps some one that wants to switch to this fuel. I would start at atlest 45% more fuel and lean down. I will run this fuel in all of my quads and will soon put a banshee on it with the info I gathered today.

Hope this helps

Here are the vids mike wanted me to post up...

My raptor isnt a rocket, but is no slouch by any means. It has a cam, DMC dual pipes, intake, and a dyno tune, and mikes bike KILLS mine. Im on mikes bike and my bro is on mine, so the weight difference is only about 10lbs.

Race 1

Troy and I jumped on mike on this race and he still catches and passes us easily.

Race 2

I would show more interest in running E-85 if you didn't need to purge afterwards, that's just one more thing to have to piss with doing. :confused:

not so sure about that working on that

There have been tests done on non-Flex Fuel vehicles to see if they can withstand the corrosive nature of E85 ethanol. Ron Faget, President of Faget Inc., an Ethanol plant design build firm in Grante FDall Minnesota, ran a non-Flex Fuel 2000 Chevy Tahoe 105,496 miles almost exclusively on E85. He donated the Tahoe to the Lake Area Technical Institute where it was dismantled and studied. They found that there were no adverse effects of E85 ethanol on the engine or the fuel system. In fact, they reported that the engine and fuel system were in better shape than some vehicles that ran gasoline with fewer miles. This video can be seen and verified at

so on a banshee to run this stuff would a person need powerjets or could they just run richer needles/clips, mains etc

This is my thought on that I would not think so but you may have to drill jets like on methanol. Methanol needs about 87% more fuel e-85 only needs 40% may not even need to drill the jets depending on mods. If you have a near stock bike you may be able to find jets that flow 40% more. But there will be math involved :geek:

so on a banshee to run this stuff would a person need powerjets or could they just run richer needles/clips, mains etc

i wouldnt see the need for powerjets but then i dont have experience with them like other on here do.

I dont have a problem with draining the carbs afterwards as i usually do anyways when i park it after cleaning it up from a ride.

not so sure about that working on that

There have been tests done on non-Flex Fuel vehicles to see if they can withstand the corrosive nature of E85 ethanol. Ron Faget, President of Faget Inc., an Ethanol plant design build firm in Grante FDall Minnesota, ran a non-Flex Fuel 2000 Chevy Tahoe 105,496 miles almost exclusively on E85. He donated the Tahoe to the Lake Area Technical Institute where it was dismantled and studied. They found that there were no adverse effects of E85 ethanol on the engine or the fuel system. In fact, they reported that the engine and fuel system were in better shape than some vehicles that ran gasoline with fewer miles. This video can be seen and verified at

This is my thought on that I would not think so but you may have to drill jets like on methanol. Methanol needs about 87% more fuel e-85 only needs 40% may not even need to drill the jets depending on mods. If you have a near stock bike you may be able to find jets that flow 40% more. But there will be math involved :geek:

WOW, that really kicks ass, but they didn't say how many miles were on it when they started to run the E-85, and they didn't say how well it was running when torn down, unless I just didn't here it correctly.

I am not quite sure as to why they would show the oil pump gears or the cam lobes on a "roller" cam (with proper lubrication they shouldn't show any sign of significant wear), or any of the crank journals / main bearings, mainly because these are not parts of the fueling system or combustion area. Although this is very interesting, if I had my Banshee up and running with a stock engine, I would run it just to see what may or may not happen, I would miss the smell of AV-Gas though. Maybe get some of those fuity pills to drop in the tank :biggrin:

On another note, couldn't the Dial-A-Jet be used in an aplication such as this ?

Mike

Edited by RZBansheeMan

Fire guy, you should be scolded for saying all those alkys are the same. You know better. NEVER confuse Methanol with Ethanol.

Heh heh, Fire Guy, heh heh.

I'd like to see an E85 setup, would be pretty interesting, like the above posters said, make sure your planning on running a stainless steel fuel line, I've heard that the corrosiveness of ethanol can be a big problem for engines.

I dont think people realize that because there ia 15% gasoline in the mix that is is no where near as corrosive people keep talking about. yes it will still absorb water, yes it is still corrosive but it does not need to be taken to the extremes of methanol. I had high pressure RUBBER lines connecting the pickup to the fuel filter and the fuel filter to the pump and then the pump to the steel lines. up front again, high pressure RUBBER line from the lines to the regulator and fuel rail. they were in constant contact with e85 along with the aluminum fittings injector o rings and such. i had it apart numerous times in testing and never noticed anything other than everything was really fuckin clean, lol. it worked so well that a week after converting my gas guage started working! it had previously been stuck at 1/3 tank from the car setting for a couple years. screw additives to clean out your fuel system, convert to e85. The new owner of the car has not had any problems either and with fuel pressure spiking past 65psi under boost, problems would show up pretty quick.

If you are still worried, then maybe it isnt for you? I know methanol is not for me.

It seems that several people here are missing the point rgaeding why you need to purge a two stroke running alcohol (E85, M85, or whatever) for a fuel in the first place. If the aluminum parts in your engine corrode, who cares. What you are really trying to protect are your bearings.

Conversely, the reason you do not have to purge a four stroke engin on this tipe of fuel is that the lubrication comes from somewhere bedised the fuel. However, you get to change your oil more often as alcohol dillutes the oil and washes down your bores. :geek:

421 cub, 39s, etc

I work for GM, I just took the IDL class on Flexfuel Vehicles. The flex fuel rigs are designed to run on E85 or regular gasoline. They have stainless steel fuel lines and other upgraded fuel system components to run the E85 fuel specifically. If you dont retrofit your atv, then you need to purge and flush the fuel system after use. Water in E85 makes it highly acidic and corrosive, it will eat rubber, aluminum, and magnesium. Here's a clip of the vid.

Flex Fuel vid clip

It seems that several people here are missing the point rgaeding why you need to purge a two stroke running alcohol (E85, M85, or whatever) for a fuel in the first place. If the aluminum parts in your engine corrode, who cares. What you are really trying to protect are your bearings.

Conversely, the reason you do not have to purge a four stroke engin on this tipe of fuel is that the lubrication comes from somewhere bedised the fuel. However, you get to change your oil more often as alcohol dillutes the oil and washes down your bores. :geek:

I see, the plot thickens! good point.

as for plug chops- then can still be done its just not as easy to read and probably would be easier with a probe.