t5 vs t6

hey all

i have a stock bike (because im poor) but will soon be able to buy a set of pipes.

from what ive read t5 are good for ported and modified motors while t6 are good for stock motors.

will i get the same hp figures if i used t5 instead of t6 on my stoc bike?

thanks

Ive always heard they run the same on stock bikes, and T-5s will work better when you port and mod more in the future. I would just get the time proven T-5s.

You know...there are a lot of sheep...who are going to tell you this:

"Get the T5s cause they're better for a ported motor...blah blah blah..."

T5s and T6s work fine....for box stock, T6 is a better pipe. T6 pipes even respond to MILD porting quite well.

My advice is get the T6 pipes....if you start to go nutz on porting, etc., you're gonna want a top end/drag style pipe anyways....

Toomey pipes hold their value...go T6...you'll be happy you did.

However...if you start going with really aggressive porting, a T5 or other pipe is the way to go. Sounds like that's off your radar for now....

The T6 is a better pipe for a bone stock motor with air filter/air box mods only. It will put out a few more HP and torque.

if your planning on staying near stock on porting definately run the tr6's i run them and they run great definately more power on a stock/ bolt on bike. and they do respond great to bolt ons for later.

My advice is get the T6 pipes....if you start to go nutz on porting, etc., you're gonna want a top end/drag style pipe anyways....

I disagree. Just because you've got some extensive porting doesn't necessarily mean you want to run a top end only pipe. I personally can't stand the power delivery on shearers, CPI's, etc. I built my motor for all-around performance and am quite happy with the way it turned out - T5's and all. My builder specifically told me not to run T6's with the porting he'd done. T5's are the better buy in my opinion.

He has a stock bike....T6 is the better pipe for now...

And I fully agree with you on pipe delivery...

My bike is idling down the return lane, in the staging...or WOT for a few seconds.

I have no use for a pipe like what you use, just as you have no use for mine...agree with you 100% on that.

I seriously doubt there's much of a differnece between the T6 and T5 on a stock motor. Toomey doesn't even have plots of the T5's on their site anymore the last time I'd checked. Probably because there would be virtually no reason for a T5 owner to "upgrade" to the new T6. If I were in your shoes, I know without a doubt that I'd get the T5's. They are the industry standard per se. And they were the first of a million performance upgrades I'd ever done to my banshee.

I can almost guarantee that after you put those T5's on and realize how much different your bike is, that you will follow a similar path. The T5 gives you that flexibility.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Toomey has never had a plot to upgrade from T5 to T6.

They've always had a line to upgrade from T1 through T4 to upgrade to T5. Still do on their site.

So Bruce...

You've never owned or ridden a banshee with T6 pipes, you've only used T5...so...you have what to base your statement on?

Personally...no, I've never OWNED a shee with T6, jetted and rode plenty of them though...

They are a better pipe....until you get radical with port timings, etc.

hey all

i have a stock bike (because im poor) but will soon be able to buy a set of pipes.

from what ive read t5 are good for ported and modified motors while t6 are good for stock motors.

will i get the same hp figures if i used t5 instead of t6 on my stoc bike?

thanks

Howzit going??

Here is my POV coupled with info from the Toomey Website.

Me: If all you are going to do is pipes/jet kit/air cleaner...go with the T6.

If you are going to port and engine mod in the near future, go for the T5s. These pipes are significantly better performing than stock, and will respond more favorably to future mods.

Toomey Quote: The TR-6 design is more than 8 horsepower stronger in acceleration, low and mid-range power and better than 5 hp stronger at peak, than even our own market leading T-5 pipe. This places the TR-6 pipe way out in front of all other manufacturers of Yamaha Banshee racing exhaust systems.

Toomey Link: http://www.toomey.com/html/tr6.htm

Basically, it seems the T6s work best with the stock engines air volume, but when you increase this by porting, timing changes, bigger carbs, etc, the T5s are the ticket.

I have to be honest with you...since you are on a budget...you might want to consider FMF Fattys. You can get a used setup for a couple hundred bucks. I have them on my Banshee (look at my sig) and I can't figure out why people badmouth them!! I think people are just "following the leader" when they eviscerate them. Since they hold their value, you could resell them for what you paid (if you bought them used) and buy the pipes best for your bike if you did ever decide to significantly mod.

I'm considering some CPIs but I'm a sand only guy and I spend a bit of time at the hill and they would probably work better with the mods I have.

Of the over 100 people I've raced, my only couple of losses were because of rider error, not power delivery!!

I've found that the best way to open a can of worms here is to claim that your exhaust or 2-stroke oil is the best... but for me, I'm happy with my Yamalube 2R (recommended by Toomey as well!!) and my FMF Fattys!!

The following is another Quote from Toomey:

Q. What kind of Two-Stroke Oil shall I use? At what mix ratio?

A. Our Recommendation!

We recommend using Yamaha's YAMALUBE "R" mixed at 32:1 (actually anywhere from 28:1 to 32:1 is fine) This oil has proven itself for years in roadracing, and we use it on the dyno where there are higher loads imposed over longer periods of time than anywhere in the outside world.

I know you didn't ask about oil, but I saw it on the site.....

Hope this helps. :cool:

Jay From SanD............iego

ive ridden both actually...i have a completely stock bike right now with the exception with the toomey air box mod and a new set of reeds, and i think that the t6's are much more crisp in the acceleration and power. my father in law has the same reeds and air box mod with a set of t5's and i just dont think his acceleration is as good as mine...the t6 pipe isnt as curved as the t5 which opens it up more...he agrees with me that the t6 is better for a stock bike (WHICH WHY MINE ARE FOR SALE...MESSING WITH THE MOTOR LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERSTERED)

Toomey has never had a plot to upgrade from T5 to T6.

They've always had a line to upgrade from T1 through T4 to upgrade to T5. Still do on their site.

So Bruce...

You've never owned or ridden a banshee with T6 pipes, you've only used T5...so...you have what to base your statement on?

Personally...no, I've never OWNED a shee with T6, jetted and rode plenty of them though...

They are a better pipe....until you get radical with port timings, etc.

Wow, shocker, Dave, we have a different point of view. No, I've never owned a set of T6's.

2 of the guys that got me into riding banshees did though. They both had T5's at the time and "upgraded" to the brand new critically acclaimed T6's. One was a mechanic at a yamaha shop, the other just an enthusiast like me. Both of them were severely disappointed that they spent the scratch on them. And if you don't believe that Toomey had visions of people that were so happy with the T5, that they'd get the T6, you are extremely naive.

So, as stated before, I'd recommend getting the T5's, for exactly the same reasons I stated before. I'm not saying you are wrong for recommending the T6's. If someone has an opinion that is different from yours, it will be ok, I promise you.

ive ridden both actually...i have a completely stock bike right now with the exception with the toomey air box mod and a new set of reeds, and i think that the t6's are much more crisp in the acceleration and power. my father in law has the same reeds and air box mod with a set of t5's and i just dont think his acceleration is as good as mine...the t6 pipe isnt as curved as the t5 which opens it up more...he agrees with me that the t6 is better for a stock bike (WHICH WHY MINE ARE FOR SALE...MESSING WITH THE MOTOR LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERSTERED)

And here you have both points of view being validated. The T6 may work a little better on a stock motor. But guess what he's doing with them....

You can decide on the now, or on tomorrow. Myself, I'd rather plan ahead some.

thanks for all your help

He has a stock bike....T6 is the better pipe for now...

And I fully agree with you on pipe delivery...

My bike is idling down the return lane, in the staging...or WOT for a few seconds.

I have no use for a pipe like what you use, just as you have no use for mine...agree with you 100% on that.

my bike will never get much work, its a play bike and always will so yer pipes air filter thats it

so i guess the t6 are better for me thanks

yer i live in aus so i doubt (unfortunatly) that i will be able to buy ur set.

but i will most li9kely buy a set from america as it is cheaper with postage and all to get it to my doorstep than buying locally

thanks again