Wife's warrior runs like crap

GFB

Mods, I put this in this forum so it would get more views. Feel free to move it if need be.

Wife's warrior idles and has run like crap since I got it a few months ago. I put a new plug in, but haven't took the carb apart and cleaned it. It wants to die when taking off, or low throttle cruising. Sometimes at WOT it will bog or cut out too. Gas is good new stuff. My friend told me to take the spark arrestor out to give it a little more bottom end but that seems to have made the problem worse. The exhaust pops or kinda backfires a little. Could it be weak ignition? Plug looks ok, not like it's getting flooded. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

ADAM

Edited by GFB

I have found this problem alot on these bikes.

first clean the carb and while its turned or off easier if you just turn it in the bike. Adjust the air bleed a little brass flat head on the front lower part of the carb in front of the bowxl and below the mouth the part that connects to the motor.set it at 1 turn out from closed.

the pilot is more than likely clogged try to run it on the choke if it runs better then it deffinatly clogged.

also if the idle is up and down and sometimes they will whistle sort of all these bike lean from the factory adjusting air screw helps or bump the pilot one size. What elevation are you, and by removing the spark arrestor you have freed up the exhaust making it more lean.

I have found this problem alot on these bikes.

first clean the carb and while its turned or off easier if you just turn it in the bike. Adjust the air bleed a little brass flat head on the front lower part of the carb in front of the bowxl and below the mouth the part that connects to the motor.set it at 1 turn out from closed.

the pilot is more than likely clogged try to run it on the choke if it runs better then it deffinatly clogged.

also if the idle is up and down and sometimes they will whistle sort of all these bike lean from the factory adjusting air screw helps or bump the pilot one size. What elevation are you, and by removing the spark arrestor you have freed up the exhaust making it more lean.

Ok I'll clean out the carb good. The air bleed is that screw with the spring on it, correct? I have messed with it and it seems to help some. It does run better with the choke on, but idles really high. Elevation is 650'. Should I really bump the pilot up 1 size? The bike will always be stock, other than taking out the spark arrestor. I have never taken one of these carbs apart. Anything special I should look for? Where is the pilot?

i would and it will start easier and not require a choke most of the time and will compensate for the sparky removal and a filter in the future, but the main will need to go up if you change the filter or remove the lid. the pilot is in a hole next to the main wich is in the middle of the carb once bowl is removed. i think stock pilot is a 22.5 go to a 25. its half a size really. if you inlarge the pilot the air bleed wich has a spring on most will need to be set a 2 or 2.5 turns out from a light seat or tight light.if stock pilot go the 1 turn you cant really adjust the air bleed once the carb is installed hard to get to. some have it covered by a brass plug you will have to drill out be very carefull i use a very small bit drill it and then go up a size or two and screw a screw in it and pull it out with plires screw and plug together its easier than it sounds. also i have found the bigger jet will not clog as easily as the stock butr it can and will.

I cleaned the carb and it definitely helped. Idles fine and does ok at low throttle cruising. Now, another problem that was there before and still is. During a WOT run through the gears, it will completely cut out in the middle of 3rd or 4th (wasn't paying attention). It has a dead throttle until speed drops back down, and then everything is fine again. It's like a governor on a car that cuts fuel or spark. Other than that it runs fine at WOT in the first couple gears--no sputtering or missing.

I'm starting to hate this P.O.S. I shoulda bought her a banshee. :evil:

what size main jet do you have in there? I had two warriors back in the day and I had issues with the float height a lot which also caused some symptoms you are talking about. At WOT the bowl would almost drain out causing it to die out till the RPM's dropped and the fuel could keep up. Also could be timing or several other things but the float levels were my main problems when I owned my warriors.

what size main jet do you have in there? I had two warriors back in the day and I had issues with the float height a lot which also caused some symptoms you are talking about. At WOT the bowl would almost drain out causing it to die out till the RPM's dropped and the fuel could keep up. Also could be timing or several other things but the float levels were my main problems when I owned my warriors.

Ya I'm having float level probs now too. The needle evidently isn't doing it's job because the bowl is overflowing with the engine off. I'm just gonna go buy a new needle and see if that helps.

When I had my Warrior the only time it would cut out was when I had a stator issue. Once fixed it ran great. The poping you describe sounds like too lean. Mine did same thing. Stock Pilot is a 42.5...I went to a 50 pilot in mine. Just be sure to reset your fuel screw on the bottom of carb to about 1 1/2 turns and adjust idle as well. Main jet stock is a 145. take it up a couple also. Mine liked it rich. Try a 160 main. If your air box is opened up you could probably go a little higher. Do a plug check to be sure. Also get a manual. It come's in handy.