Top speed from your cub ?

smuttdawg

Any body got some gps numbers for top end passes on their cubs. Only lookin for gas. Im trying to see what I might expect from mine when I get it back. Some of my neighbors run only top end around here.

Stock tires 15 39 gears for now. 4mill, cub, infrm cpi's, 35 strykers, pods, intake, etc.

With that gearing...100 or so...depending on how big your rear tires are. That motor can probably pull 16/39 and hit good numbers.

Here's the real problem...you're going to suck those float bowls dry, and smoke that motor.

Unless you want to look into some type of fuel pump setup, running WOT for a while is not the greatest idea....when you starve a motor spinning 10 K or so out of gas, you're starving it of all it's lubrication too (2 strokes, of course)

With that gearing...100 or so...depending on how big your rear tires are. That motor can probably pull 16/39 and hit good numbers.

Here's the real problem...you're going to suck those float bowls dry, and smoke that motor.

Unless you want to look into some type of fuel pump setup, running WOT for a while is not the greatest idea....when you starve a motor spinning 10 K or so out of gas, you're starving it of all it's lubrication too (2 strokes, of course)

I added a larger petcok valve and bigger fuel line. Will this still happen?

Dajogejr is spot on with that statement.Last Feb in Glamis i sucked the right bowl dry+popped my motor. :banghead: I was following Banchetta along the canal.We were hammer down for 11 1/2 :woot: miles at an average speed of 67mph with a max speed of 73 as per my gps.My bro who was behind me on his 421 cub recorded a max speed of 82mph.I run a 15/40 set up with 22in sand stars,the cub is 15/41 with 10 pdl 20in.

I added a larger petcok valve and bigger fuel line. Will this still happen?

Not for long...big motor suck fuel.

That's pushing it for gas, alky...you might as well buy a new motor...

You can richen up your jetting a hair for longer runs...but, when the bowls get sucked dry, it doesn't matter what jet you have in there...

Lean...pop...bang, done.

really theres just too many factors to give a definitive number for top speed

ive ran that gearing on 20' tires and hit 93 mph on a stock stroke drag port on pavement before .mostly the sprocket gearing combination yo u choose would limit the top speed ...even a 10 mill on alky isnt going to go too much faster than stock jugs if your maxed out for gearing ,...just like anything theres limitations .i have no doubt it has the power capability is there to go into the 120's + ,just a matter of setup and how/if you wanna rob Peter to pay Paul

I learn from others mistakes and mine goes ring a ding ding all day long :biggrin:

When you say your neighbors only run "top end", what exactly does that mean? Is there any particular distance you're running?

They still start like a drag race but they go about a mile or if its close they just keep on it, if one seems to be pulling on the other. Not really my race just curious to know if I can hang. But Im not curious any more as I picked up my bike today with the cub motor. HOLY $#!@ I had no idea the pull thiat thing would have. Very Very Very impressed. Not worried about my neighbors any more.

this is kinda off topic but it seems the right place to ask. I forgot where i asked this a few days ago so forgive me.

I thought you cant go WOT on a 2 stroke safely for too long. I dont hold mine WOT in any gear longer than 1-2 seconds no matter what. I know with my old hobby(nitro r/c cars) u can snap a connecting rod. I'm gonna bookmark this so i am sure to remember to check for the replys.

this is kinda off topic but it seems the right place to ask. I forgot where i asked this a few days ago so forgive me.

I thought you cant go WOT on a 2 stroke safely for too long. I dont hold mine WOT in any gear longer than 1-2 seconds no matter what. I know with my old hobby(nitro r/c cars) u can snap a connecting rod. I'm gonna bookmark this so i am sure to remember to check for the replys.

i held mine to the nuts in 6th for about a mile, on the brakes for about 5 seconds, and back through to 6th and WOT in 6th for another half mile or so, and then another corner and almost a half mile there.

keep in mind this was with stock carbs and no porting

i dont make a habit of doing that though, but i had good motivation to get away real quick :biggrin:

this is a cool little thing that tells how fast you go with what gearing

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/banshee.htm

only thing i can think of that would change the results is that the tires stand up when youre going fast.

i put a block of firewood under the skidplate and went through the gears, and my tires got about 2 inches taller near the top of 6th gear.

don't they make large flowing fuel inlets? (float needle & seat)

Carbs setup for fuel pumps have them...(that's what I run)

I can tell you with 100% assurance...

If you run WOT for a mile on a cub motor, with pumps, dual feed petcock, larger bowls...etc., you will run them dry....period.