paint plastic?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just go to walmart and buy a jig saw and cut the plastics then get a razor and scrape the edges tosmooth out the melted plastics and then sand the edges to make it perfectly rounded

Yea pretty much :thumbsup:

I didn't use a jig saw, I used a utility knife and sand paper. I put down some markings of where I wanted to cut them and then started cutting. After I had them cut I sanded the edges down and that was about it.

Use a heat gun or propane torch to take the stress marks out. Just make sure you dont get too close, they melt pretty easy. Just go slow and dont get in a hurry.

• 4 weeks later...
When it came time for me to get my plastics painted...I guess I took the cheap route and painted them myself. They where white, I sanded them all down and then painted gloss black. Had this colour for oh about a year and then today just finished up painting them silver. Now with do it yourself painting, you wont get near the detail as theshee's brother...but maybe its just something simple you would like to do on your own.

what kind of paint did you use? brand? spray can or paint gun? did you clear coat?

I think Dinner used Krylon Fusion. Its rattle can, no clear needed. If you were talking to me, we use House of Kolor, out of a gun, and yes, clear coat. Not sure which one of us you were asking.

real nice, i have always wanted to paint my fenders but never really dared to... i am used to working with pretty rigid paint. do you lay down a coat of primer first, before using the gun and clear coat approach? do you know if diner used primer? did you see diners fender in person up close? they look pretty seemless in the pics, did it really turn out that nice and flat? how many coats do you shoot of paint and clear?

Not sure what Dinner did for primer, we lay a two part primer, paint, lay graphics or airbrush graphics, and clear. Coats really doesnt matter as long as coverage is even and everything is covered. I cant get into my photobucket right now, but search around on here, you will see some stuff we have done. A blue and black true flame raptor and a green true flame banshee are a couple.

Not sure what Dinner did for primer, we lay a two part primer, paint, lay graphics or airbrush graphics, and clear. Coats really doesnt matter as long as coverage is even and everything is covered. I cant get into my photobucket right now, but search around on here, you will see some stuff we have done. A blue and black true flame raptor and a green true flame banshee are a couple.

very nice. thanks for the info... i will look around

im thinking of painting my 03 shee white .. what are the steps and paints to use this ( i have an spray gun and excess to a paint both if needed)

im thinking of painting my 03 shee white .. what are the steps and paints to use this ( i have an spray gun and excess to a paint both if needed)

You can probably find some used white plastics pretty easy.... seems like everyone that has white wants a different color... and i think white paint would be hard to keep clean

I used Krylon, cheaper route than what theshee and his brother do.

I did not use any primer, i just sanded my plastics down until they were fairly smooth, cleaned them and dried them off. Then started putting thin coats on at a time so it wouldn't run. I forget how many coats I have on the plastics, but it's quite a few, just cause I wanted to have that added protection I guess you could say.

You wont get the looks like theshee and his brothers raptor, they have awesome painting skills and go through all the necessary procedures and well they down right look amazing. I just used Krylon because I was going with one colour and wanted something cheap and quick,lol.

Fusion is great stuff if you dont know how, or have the place to spray paint out of a gun. My drag bike was krylon fusion all year, and looked just fine. Its getting redone, not because of the fusion, just because I like to mess with stuff and cant leave anything alone lol...