I think I found my problem.

Dgrey

Ok, two things here. One you shouldn't have removed the screws for that, all you had to do to adjust it was bend it on the bracket to set the gap.

Two, it does sorta look like it was contacting the flywheel, but it isn't broken. Some of those RS pickups dont stick out of the plastic casing very far. When mine came, I flipped out, but I ended up scratching some plastic of it with a razor knife and putting it on. It worked ok.

Did you check the gap before you unscrewed it?

I had a .02 and a .03 double sides feeler gauge. I tried both ends and they both had room to wobble the pick up was the distance of about an entire match book away from the nub.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there is something I don't know about RS pickup coils, I say put the stock pickup coil on there, adjust the gap and you'll be good to go. And yes, if your pickup gap is off it'll cause a problem like you're having. You do know to adjust the pickup to the little tab on the flywheel, not the body of the flywheel, right?

P.S. You don't have to start a new thread for each thing you think of...its better anyway to use one thread so people helping you out have a history of what you already did and didn't do. :thumbsup:

Is the stock pick up coil JUST AS effective as the ricky stator pick up coil?

Its highly unlikely it was touching if it was a matchbook distance away. I would say if your stock pickup coil is good, then it will work just as well. You can also put the stock stator back on if it is still good.

I dont have it here to look at. Will I need to cut wires and splice or does the pick up have a plug and un plug piece on it? If I cut the ricky stator pick up coil off im pretty sure he would NOT return it if it ends up being faulty, ya know?

I dont have it here to look at. Will I need to cut wires and splice or does the pick up have a plug and un plug piece on it? If I cut the ricky stator pick up coil off im pretty sure he would NOT return it if it ends up being faulty, ya know?

I am pretty sure the rs pickups are soldered.

I talked to someone at Ricky Stator today and e mailed them those pictures. He said that is exactly what the pick up coil is supposed to look like so when I get home if its not to late im going to adjust the distance and try the bike again.

Alright so on top of talking to someone at Ricky Stator and him saying that the pick up coil was in perfect condition I adjusted it. I stuck a match book cover in there... Pressed it against the nub and tightened it down.

Very low on hopes I take it down the street and it actually HITS the power band and it feels a LOT better than it did. I don't think I heard any popping. So (as fast I can get on my street in 3rd I was pinned) and then kill the bike and pull in the clutch. I coast to the house and pull the plugs and they still look WHITE maybe a LITTLE tan but there are not looking like plugs should be looking because the bike has 390 jets in it right now.

What I also notice when I started it was that it is still smoking more out of the left side than the right.

AND when I took the plugs out the left side had smoke coming out of the plug hole and the right side did not.

Advice please. And remember that the builder said that 350's were a good starting point and that I would most likely need to jet down.

Thanks!

I had a heavily ported 350 with stock carbs and ran 390-410 mains in it. Its gonna take 15-20 mins to get plug color. Your best bet is to do a plug chop with a brand new set of plugs to see what the mains are doing.

Don't you think that there should at least be some blackness or oil on the plugs after just idleing until its warm and then taking it down the street twice or no?g

I have not yet touched the needle the needls is inthe placce that it was when I BOUGHT the bike which had a milled head, K and N single filter no lid and t 5's.

I will do a plut chop soon like you said. I keep forgetting to to get a damn hack saw and I need new plugs now. A chop will tell you whatever you need to know with just warming it up and going down the street?

Like you said I may still need to go up on the main? What about the needle posltion?

Do I need to run it balls to the wall for fifteen minutes before I get an accurate reading? Im scared im going to seize it with all this lean bull shit.

Just ride it normal for 15 minutes and get it warmed up for the chop. What kind of needles are in it? Does it run good?

Sorry I do not know what kind of needles are in it. When I got the bike from a guy that bought it new he had a milled head, single k and N filter with lid removed, and toomey t 5's. All done at the motorcycle store alba so whatever they would set the needle and jet to. I think when I took out the stock ones there were 220's.

The bike ran like a dream all last season.

I had a heavily ported 350 with stock carbs and ran 390-410 mains in it. Its gonna take 15-20 mins to get plug color. Your best bet is to do a plug chop with a brand new set of plugs to see what the mains are doing.

I have 390 jets in there now. Where should I put the needle? I can take it apart tomorrow and check to see where its at now and adjust

U should just get a pull start polaris.. ur scary retarded with this, And if u dont kno what ur doing why dont u get a F#$king service manual!!!!!!!!!!11

its gonna take some riding time to get some color on those plugs to just look at them. If you are using new plugs do a plug chop.

Just a note, I usually ride around for an hour or so, never hitting wot before doing a run just to look at the color. I get the jetting close depending on the mods, and then go from there.