Top End rebuild

Muggz

Hey guys,

I need to rebuild my top end and I was talking w/ the guy that I bought it from and he said that bringing it in to get the top end done will cost about $600. I'm not really looking forward to that. I'm just gunna buy a repair manual and do it myself. I'm not sure if I should take it apart first or buy a top end kit first. I'm going to college this fall so I was planning on doing it over christmas vacation.

Thanks for the help guys

hahah ill come do it for 500 before you take it there :biggrin:

lol seriously though, 600$ sounds real steep to do a banshee top end, even if that includes parts it still sounds a bit high.

if you are even a little mechanically inclined you shouldnt have a problem doing it yourself if you have a manual :thumbsup:

before you order the top end kit pull off the head and make sure the cylinders are fine and you dont need a bore. the dealership here told me to make sure because they wouldnt take the wisecos back.

actually 600 is a good estimate, thats all it is im sure.. its not gonna be that much but hes probly considering all the bore measurement and bore hone if it needs to be/head warpage measurments plus work, all gaskets and top end parts plus shit that could be fubard in ur motor.. And shop rate with shop supplies sooo.. but with the right tools and service manual u could do it

depending on what makes you think you need a rebuild could vary in prices. If you locked it up then it could cost ya. If your going by the hours on the top end then you could possibly get away with just new piston/rings etc which in total will cost you a 1/3 of the estimate. I tend to just change out the rings every 30-40hrs and been pushing 130psi on each cylinder for a while now. It all depends on why you need a rebuild.

yea its probly just estimate like i said so it could just cost a 1/3 of that, but if he goes over the paperwork with the tech especially the measurments which are extremly important thats where most of there money is gonna be made. just make sure u see all measurments if the cyl. if its out of round or has a taper, unless u have these tools the bansh top end is pretty easy