Striped nut on the front sproket.

FMS50

I noticed that the front sproket on my 2000 Banshee was a little loose. After taking a closer look I realized that the nut that holds it on was forced on. I took it apart and bought a new nut and washer but I need to clean up the threads on the bike before I reinstall everything with the new nut. So I was wondering if anyone knows the size and thread pitch of the die I need to do this and where can I buy it because it looks like it may be an oddball size.

Not sure if you will be able to buy an off-the-shelf die for that thread. I think its a specialty yamaha thread. I know its fine-thread. Couldn't tell you the size or anything. What you MIGHT be able to do is buy a different fine-thread tap and re-tap the threads on it a different size and get a new nut for it...

Or you could always just weld it on. Ha Ha Ha!

Or you could always just weld it on. Ha Ha Ha!

ya thats what i would do :biggrin:

but you could probably just use whatever die you want and get a nut to fit the new threads

thats assuming you cant find the right one, and sorry i have no idea what it might be :shrug:

Edited by shee rips

If you are going to work on your bike, you need two things, a Clymer's manual and a thread file. You can pick one up from MSC (www.mscdirect.com) for less than 13 bucks and has files to fix 0.80mm, 1.00mm, 1.25mm, 1.50mm, 1.75mm, 2.00mm, 2.5mm, and 3.0mm pitch threads. This should fix your problem as long as the threads have not been hardened which I am guessing they are not if they are boogered. If this doesn't work, then you can always do what others have suggested, weld it on and replace at next teardown.

MSC part number for a metric thread file is 05007034.

if the out put shaft threads are stripped, weld it, get a new shaft, then the next teardown replace it.

thats my advice. Had my nut somehow come off while I was riding and the chain came down onto the threads and spun them away by the time my engine rev'd down.

turn the nut backwwards there is a good void there to weld in. Clean up everything real nice before you weld it.

Isnt the shaft hardened steel?