Locked Motor

I just bought a 96 banshee... head had been off for a few years...... honed out the cylinders put new rings on the previous pistons which looked fine, then put a cool head, boost bottle, keihm carbs, T5 exhaust, and a set of performance reeds on it. Went through all the proper break in on it and it locked up on me yesterday. Is it common for the top end to lock up on the banshee or did i possibly blow a crank or something in the bottom end?

I just bought a 96 banshee... head had been off for a few years...... honed out the cylinders put new rings on the previous pistons which looked fine, then put a cool head, boost bottle, keihm carbs, T5 exhaust, and a set of performance reeds on it. Went through all the proper break in on it and it locked up on me yesterday. Is it common for the top end to lock up on the banshee or did i possibly blow a crank or something in the bottom end?

Yep, I would bet on FOD or moisture killing the crank. That is assuming the top end was assembled right and will the right clearances. If you pull a pipe off and find a steel pin in in, a crank is in your future.

Brandon

What were you doing when it locked up? What size carbs and what jets? What gas/oil ratio? I've had top ends lockup and I've seen bottom ends lock up. You'll ultimately have to pull the jugs off to tell, but it's more common for top ends to lean out and lock up, IMO.

What were you doing when it locked up? What size carbs and what jets? What gas/oil ratio? I've had top ends lockup and I've seen bottom ends lock up. You'll ultimately have to pull the jugs off to tell, but it's more common for top ends to lean out and lock up, IMO.

When the motor locked i had let off the gas approaching a turn and before i knew it i was laying across the handle bars. I got the carbs new in the box from the guy i bought it off of i'm thinking they were like 38's he was setting it up for drag.... i was running a 32:1 gas mixture....no metal shavings came out with the oil and the tires won't even unlock with the clutch pulled if its in gear. thanks for the help!!

When the motor locked i had let off the gas approaching a turn and before i knew it i was laying across the handle bars. I got the carbs new in the box from the guy i bought it off of i'm thinking they were like 38's he was setting it up for drag.... i was running a 32:1 gas mixture....no metal shavings came out with the oil and the tires won't even unlock with the clutch pulled if its in gear. thanks for the help!!

I would say you ran it lean and seized the motor up but thats just my .02.. pull the top end and have a look..

I"d assume it was heavily ported running 38s. Where your WOT in 6th or what before it locked up. My 2 lock up experiences...............I was WOT in 6th and let out just to be letting out, so the carbs could fill back up. Little did I know that causes it to lean out when you have it pinned for a little bit, let out for a second and get right back to WOT. My shit locked up when I went back on the gas after letting out. Have you taken the stator cover off? The flywheel and/or stator could have come loose and caused it also...........just a remote (and cheaper) possibility, but unlikely.

Here is a dumb question. When the motor locks would it cause the tranny to lock up too? ( I wouldnt think so but thats is why I am asking). I would think just because the top end locked you should still be able to pull in the clutch or take it out of gear so it would still roll. He is saying his tires are locked up to. When you take her a part you will find out if its just the top end or much more.

Here is a dumb question. When the motor locks would it cause the tranny to lock up too? ( I wouldnt think so but thats is why I am asking). I would think just because the top end locked you should still be able to pull in the clutch or take it out of gear so it would still roll. He is saying his tires are locked up to. When you take her a part you will find out if its just the top end or much more.

Not a dumb question ...but as far as I know if the top end locks up the bottom wont rotate because of the gear on the back of the clutch basket and the gear on the crankshaft ...if the crankshaft cant turn then the clutch basket cant turn either ...dont know if I made that make sense but thats what I would think ....

Not a dumb question ...but as far as I know if the top end locks up the bottom wont rotate because of the gear on the back of the clutch basket and the gear on the crankshaft ...if the crankshaft cant turn then the clutch basket cant turn either ...dont know if I made that make sense but thats what I would think ....

I would think that it would turn hard maybe, but it should, in neutral and or with the clutch pulled in. "IF" it's only a crank or topend seizure. It is usually not very easy to push any atv or mx bike, that's not running, in gear with clutch pulled because of the oil in the clutch side sticking the plates together or notching of the basket.

Ultimately it's going to have to be torn down. I would start with the flywheel and then the clutch just because they're the easiest to eliminate.

Just so you all know i pulled the top end off tonight and sure enough i shattered the bottom end of my right piston which didn't cause the pistons to seize in the jugs i believe a fragments made their way down into the crank and with no problem locked her up. The only good news is there is no scars in the jugs but now i'm still gonna have to split the crank case to remove the shattered pieces.........hopefully thats the extent of the damage.........While I have the bottom end apart would a aftermarket crank be a good call??

Just so you all know i pulled the top end off tonight and sure enough i shattered the bottom end of my right piston which didn't cause the pistons to seize in the jugs i believe a fragments made their way down into the crank and with no problem locked her up. The only good news is there is no scars in the jugs but now i'm still gonna have to split the crank case to remove the shattered pieces.........hopefully thats the extent of the damage.........While I have the bottom end apart would a aftermarket crank be a good call??

Yes, a new crank is a SUPER idea but if you decide to try the old one, you MUST clean it thoroughly before using. It is NOT normal to shatter a piston so the very first thing you need to find out is why it failed???? I would say excessive piston clearance but that would mean it went together loose as a hooker on nickel night. Figure this out before you go any further.

Brandon

Yes, a new crank is a SUPER idea but if you decide to try the old one, you MUST clean it thoroughly before using. It is NOT normal to shatter a piston so the very first thing you need to find out is why it failed???? I would say excessive piston clearance but that would mean it went together loose as a hooker on nickel night. Figure this out before you go any further.

Brandon

I don't know what caused it to shatter inspected the rod and everything on the top end and it all looked good.....bottom end might be a different story but the way i run everything it is completly normal for everything NOT normal to happen to me lol....i guess i need to learn when to let off even if i am getting my ass handed to me....the only other thing i can think of would be not replacing my pistons when i replaced and upgraded the entire top end.........trying to save a few dollars ended up costing me more in the long haul

I don't know what caused it to shatter inspected the rod and everything on the top end and it all looked good.....bottom end might be a different story but the way i run everything it is completly normal for everything NOT normal to happen to me lol....i guess i need to learn when to let off even if i am getting my ass handed to me....the only other thing i can think of would be not replacing my pistons when i replaced and upgraded the entire top end.........trying to save a few dollars ended up costing me more in the long haul

You "upgraded" the topend and reused pistons? What did you upgrade? Letting off the gas or not would not cause piston shattering unless you decided to downshift for no reason. I had a friend that popped a nice chevy small block because he loved to downshift instead of using brakes. If you ran it lean, you might have stuck a piston but not made change of one.

Brandon