Banshee Noob!

I am looking for the right quad. I have always heard horror stories about the Banshee's, in the fact that they are a mechanics nightmare. Is this true? or is this just some peoples bad luck.. I want to start off with a older quad and upgrade after getting more familiar with the make up of the quad. I have always noticed the looks of this quad and the many upgradable parts. I have many people that race this quad and yet I am still on the fence on whether getting this quad or a different one. Can anyone help me with the pro and cons of getting a banshee?

Thanks for the help......

I wouldn't call a banshee a mechanic's nightmare by any means. Banshees are probably about the easiest quads to work on. Parts for them are easy to get, and when you do have to work on them, they are usually much cheaper to fix than a four stroke. As far as reliability, as long as you take care of your shee, it's usually a pretty reliable ride. As far as if you should get one or not, really depends on you. What kind of riding do you plan on doing? The banshees are still kings in the sand, and can be setup to do pretty much whatever else you want them to, but if you want to do something like MX, I would look into getting one of the new four strokes.

Most of the people you talk to on this site are gonna tell you that there easy to work on and there the best quad to have except if your doin MX. I bought a Shee because of the many possibilities you can do with them. You get a 4 stroke your kinda limited on what you can do and what you can get for them. You don't have to start off with an older Shee because they are almost all similiar ecept for a few things. If your not doin MX get a Banshee just do the regular Maintance and you'll be fine. There a blast to ride and listen to them run.

I have had quads before, but I did not want to invest in one that I will have to work on all of time. I hear honda's ex is a pretty reliable quad, but I like to looks and sound of the Banshee. Just thought I would get a feel for people on here before I made my choice. I plan on doing alot of Sand riding, As my family has land near Silverlakes ORV area. Thanks agin for the advice......

Well my opinion on the banshee is, they are an awesome 4 wheeler to ride. I think people over react alot when it comes to the banshee. I have had two of them, this is the first one I have done any mods to also. My first one was stock, had it three years and ran the shit out of it. It never gave me any problems at all. Now the one I ride, I have a few mods done to it, been to the dunes with it ran the hell out of it, it has never given me any problems yet. Starts on the first or second kick everytime. So far simple to add mods to it, I think the ones that have a lot of problems with them are the ones that don't take their time to do it right. What I mean is some people will try to reuse old gaskets, they don't torque their shit back the way the book says, mainly take the time to make it right and buy the right tools needed for the job. I'd say the most important thing is buy the book on it, do it by the book. I have done mine this way and not one problem. Just my 2 cents :biggrin:

banshee's are like anything else. if you learn how to set it up properly for your riding habits and take care of it and keep up with the basics it should be a reliable ride for you. there's no reason it should be any worse than anything else. just be careful if you get a used one. i think that a lot of guys fool with them and don't really know what they are doing. there is an endless amount of mods out there and they can be made to fit whatever your riding style is, woods-trails-dunes-drag racing, etc. and you won't run into any issues that someone else on this site hasn't already dealt with and couldn't help you with. :cool:

Word !!!

My first Banshee was a 1992 and it came from a buddy of mine ( who bought it used in 97 ). We ran that thing for like 4 years with out rebuilding. It always had great compression, but we ran Avgas and HP2 when dune riding and premium gas with HP2 anywhere else it was ridden. The only 3 problems it ever had was when I put a new throttle cable on it the carbs got out of sync. So I took it in to have them adjusted and cleaned - the stock pipe mounts broke - kick start lever ratlling, which are common but minor problems. I guess you could say it had a 4th problem and that would be traction with stock tires :biggrin: .

If well taken care of and well tuned they are very reliable, and very, very fun. I think the worst thing about them is that they cost almost twice to rebuild or modify than a single cylinder 2 stroke and that is obviously because there is two of everything on it - Carbs, Pipes, Reeds, Pistons, Cylinders. But if I'm not mistaken they are cheaper to buy, maintain, modify than a newer 450 of any brand. Plus the Banshee's high pitched wail sounds way cool, not like a big farty 4 stroke.

:biggrin:

Mike.

Thanks Guys!!

I appreciate all the feedback that I have already received, just in the two days I have been on here.. I have been through a lot of fourms and have read a lot of helpful advice. Hopefully I will be riding next weekend. Just have to find the right one. Thanks

i bought mine so i'd have something to work on and tinker with as well as throw money at.i've always been a fan of two strokes .i drive 2 stroke sleds in the winter so i wanted something with almost the same sound and smell to rip on in the summer(love that two stroke smell!) i wouldn't call the banshee an unreliable machine but it takes a bit more common sense to operate then a 4 stroke. you have the gas and oil mix ratio to deal with which may seem in convienient to some but its all part of owning a banshee. some people like the powerband and others don't. problems are a bit easier to diagnose with a 2 stroke cause there are less moving parts than a 4str. i'm sure i've got several thousand miles on my current engine without any major failures or mechanical problems. that being said the engine is now in pieces and is being rebuilt.(+4 crank,new pipes, porting, etc...) this site is also a great guide for any issues that you may run into and to do some research to see wether this is the right kind of machine for you.

w up welcome new myself here. to tell you the truth if you setup you bike right you'll never have any problems. ive had my shee for almost 2 years and never had any problems with it except once with the clutch because i lent it to some noobs. Other than that nothing, i just recently tore down my engine because i want to setup for racing and the stock cylinders are practically brand new and its an 04, all it needs is new piston rings and it will be like new. It just really depends on how you take care of it. a 400ex dont get me wrong is very realiable too, got a friend that runs the shit out of it and never takes care of it and its still running fine.