Stripped screw heads

I was rite on my way of putting my new PD Timing plate in when all I could find was a cheap 2:1 screwdriver to get the 3 screws out that hold the stator to the plate and I stripped them round.

Any Ideas on how to get these out? I was thinking a left hand bit mabey thatll work.

are the screws completly stripped? if not try using an impact driver and get it out.

I put it all back together running but they are pretty stripped out. I dont think my impact will work. I might try the dremel idea though thats a good one. I hate stripped bolts. I got so good at getting in straight and flush but it never fails on cirten things. Brass screws comeon Yamaha!!!!!!!!

i dont know if it would work in your case but for most screws ive stripped (mostly float bowl screws on the stock carbs) i used some screw out bits from craftsman they have worked very well for me in the past. and its only like 10 or 15 bucks for the set.... just an idea.

I put it all back together running but they are pretty stripped out. I dont think my impact will work. I might try the dremel idea though thats a good one. I hate stripped bolts. I got so good at getting in straight and flush but it never fails on cirten things. Brass screws comeon Yamaha!!!!!!!!

The impact driver is not to be confused with an air impact gun. The driver device is slick for removing slot and phillips bolts. Grab one from Sears and give it a try. If there is some tooth left, at least you won't steel shavings all over. The other way is to just grind a slot in the head of the bolt and remove it with a slot head screwdriver. I think the impact driver will work great for you though.

Brandon

If you can get at it try vice grips. It always works for me, those impact drivers work sometimes, but the one I have you have to hit it and it turns when it gets hit. Things can break that way tho. Just be careful!

Yeah I have the Impact I think Ill try with some needle nose vise grips first if that doesnt work ill give the impact a try at least it will grind more so I can slot it

Thanks guys

Yeah I have the Impact I think Ill try with some needle nose vise grips first if that doesnt work ill give the impact a try at least it will grind more so I can slot it

Thanks guys

I always try a good set of vice grips first, then I'd try grinding a slot. If that doesn't work, drill off just the heads and remove the plate, leaving a nice nub to get a vice grip on. Last chance is try drilling it and an easy out. I've used this more times than I can count. GL