backyard o-rings?

swag

anyone ever tried those cut to length o-ring kits in their cool heads? i tried it this year and they seem to work ok. i'm now running 20cc domes with a strong mx port and 1 carb. they have held out pretty well so far and are a super cheap alternative to the boughten ones. just wondering how long they last? if i can get a 10-15 good 4-6 hr rides out of them then i'll keep doing. yeah yeah i realize it's not the brand name stuff but i have three bikes to deal with. (wife and son) and money saved on there adds up to more for something else.

thanks

anyone ever tried those cut to length o-ring kits in their cool heads? i tried it this year and they seem to work ok. i'm now running 20cc domes with a strong mx port and 1 carb. they have held out pretty well so far and are a super cheap alternative to the boughten ones. just wondering how long they last? if i can get a 10-15 good 4-6 hr rides out of them then i'll keep doing. yeah yeah i realize it's not the brand name stuff but i have three bikes to deal with. (wife and son) and money saved on there adds up to more for something else.

thanks

An o-ring kit is $20.00! My old boss at the jet ski shop used to cut o-rings to length and then super glue them together and put them in with anerobic sealer. He was a really smart old school Kawasaki guy that was the service manager before I took over the shop.

thanks

I have done this. I have never heard of a cheap cut to length o-ring kit though. All of the kits I used are pretty expensive. You need to make sure the o-ring material is right for your application. Beyond that the o-rings on the domes are a different material than the reast of the o-rings for the head thus requiring a seperate kit and differently sized o-ring grooves.

Past all that, it is not real easy ro get an o-ring to be the proper length using these kits. If you are retarded like me, it will take you three tries to get an o-ring to the proper length and have it function properly. The only reason to use a kit like this is if you are doing prototype work or are out in the middle of nowhere where there is no mail service.

IMO if you have a standard cool head, buy the $20 o-ring kit from RMATV and be done with it. :geek:

ok ok i get it... don't be so f...ing cheap. 20 X 3 = 60. 60 X5 = 300. 300 = new big radiator for my sons shee

i'm on a budget and every little bit adds up. I get the o-ring rolls from a buddy of mine who works in a performance engine shop. they use them on 1000hp engines. mind you they only have to hold for about 45 seconds but they use them and swear by them. i get the rolls for nothing.

anyway, didn't mean to stir it up, just looking for feedback

thanks

ok ok i get it... don't be so f...ing cheap. 20 X 3 = 60. 60 X5 = 300. 300 = new big radiator for my sons shee

i'm on a budget and every little bit adds up. I get the o-ring rolls from a buddy of mine who works in a performance engine shop. they use them on 1000hp engines. mind you they only have to hold for about 45 seconds but they use them and swear by them. i get the rolls for nothing.

anyway, didn't mean to stir it up, just looking for feedback

thanks

I am guessing the o-ring material from you buddy's shop is commonly used to seal the base of blowers and it may not be the best for sealing coolant and certainly wouldn't work around the domes. :thumbsup:

I am guessing the o-ring material from you buddy's shop is commonly used to seal the base of blowers and it may not be the best for sealing coolant and certainly wouldn't work around the domes. :thumbsup:

actually they use it on heads for pulling trucks its rated for 8400 psi and 520 f but i guess you guys make more sense. i'll use it in a pinch. (although everyone knows engines only fail on friday night when you leave saturday)

but that's all. just takes awhile to get um up here and i procrastinate too much to actually keep a couple sets on hand. we have to go online because no dealer within 100 miles of here seems to be able to get them. or they just don't want to go thru the effort of looking them up!!!!. thanks for the input.