Motor break in

Got my 87 shee all ready to go. Now its time to break in the motor. What is the correct way of doing this. I know you have to mix the gas rich for the first few times I was going to mix at 25 to 1. How should I start the break in process and how long before I can rip on it?

i do three 20 min cycles at idle. let it run for 20 min. then turn it off and let it cool ALL the way down. do that three times. then first time you ride it go through one tank of gas around half throttle shifting up and down through all the gears several times... aftr that ride it like you stole it

i do three 20 min cycles at idle. let it run for 20 min. then turn it off and let it cool ALL the way down. do that three times. then first time you ride it go through one tank of gas around half throttle shifting up and down through all the gears several times... aftr that ride it like you stole it

Sounds good... Cant wait to fire this beast up

I break mine in very similar to this also.

the way these guys are telling you is correct

i did a 10 minute warm up then let it totally cool then warmed it up good and did my 20 minute period of 1/4 throttle then 20 minute period or 2/4 throttle and then i did half throttle again and then 3/4 throttle and after that i did 3/4 throttle blipping it to full every once in a while

dont mix your gas at 25:1 it just slows the process

mix at 32:1 with yamalube 2R because its semi synthetic and about 2 tanks of gas with yamalube then put whatever you want at whatever ratioyou do

good luck have fun

I have broken in one 4 stroke motor and 2 banshee motors using this guys method. Had 2 of the motors apart awhile afterwards and everything looked great. There was zero ring blowby and you could still see the crosshatch in the sleeves.

Motoman Break In LINK

I have broken in one 4 stroke motor and 2 banshee motors using this guys method. Had 2 of the motors apart awhile afterwards and everything looked great. There was zero ring blowby and you could still see the crosshatch in the sleeves.

Motoman Break In LINK

i found that a couple years back and have been breaking in my motors with that method every since with no problems ( at least break in related problems) since. just make sure to use a non synthetic oil when breaking in. my father in law broke in his two grandkid's brand new bikes on amsoil and ended up tearing them apart and starting over because they never sealed up due to to much lubrication. i usualy use golden spectro for break in...the old way works too and has been working for many many years so either way you should be good, but i can attest that the hard break in has worked for me with no problems. i always do 3 complete heat cycles, retorque then ride it how i'm gonna ride it. i dont abuse it, i just dont baby it...

On a 2 stroke the most crutial part to "break in" is piston rings, letting it Idle will only do you wrong. Fire it up until the head is warm and then GIVER, beat on it... the only way your gonna seat a ring on a fresh cylinder is to get the cylinder pressure high enough to force the ring against the cylinder wall and seat it! The first 10 minutes of the engine running is the most crutial...let it idle and the rings wear a light almost wavey pattern into the cylinder, a path that the rings will be forced to follow from that day forward.

I also see no reason why you can't use a synthetic oil, the oil is to lube the crank, and if I had a fresh motor I sure wouldn't be cheapin out on the life blood :confused:

Everyone has there own way of doing things, I have personally Broken in many motors for myself, customers and on the dyno for the 6 years I worked at the engine machine shop, from 20-2000HP the system is the same and have yet to see a break in related failure. The engine need to be broken in the way you plan on riding it, if you plan on riding it at idle then break it in that way :blush:

Motoman Break In LINK

LOL, I just read the artical...sounds like my echo. Good info and a more in depth explination

On a 2 stroke the most crutial part to "break in" is piston rings, letting it Idle will only do you wrong. Fire it up until the head is warm and then GIVER, beat on it... the only way your gonna seat a ring on a fresh cylinder is to get the cylinder pressure high enough to force the ring against the cylinder wall and seat it! The first 10 minutes of the engine running is the most crutial...let it idle and the rings wear a light almost wavey pattern into the cylinder, a path that the rings will be forced to follow from that day forward.

I also see no reason why you can't use a synthetic oil, the oil is to lube the crank, and if I had a fresh motor I sure wouldn't be cheapin out on the life blood :confused:

Everyone has there own way of doing things, I have personally Broken in many motors for myself, customers and on the dyno for the 6 years I worked at the engine machine shop, from 20-2000HP the system is the same and have yet to see a break in related failure. The engine need to be broken in the way you plan on riding it, if you plan on riding it at idle then break it in that way :blush:

when racing gokarts, we had many motor get "stuck" doing it like this. the only way the motor lasted was doing heat cycles at idle. the rings are going to expand at idle or not... its inevitable. the heat is going to make it happen. maybe not as fast but fast isnt always good. i have always broke in all 2 stroke motors the way mentioned above and have had 0 failures. how ever i can not say the same with your method. 4 stroke are much more forgiving so they dont need it.

Go kart wont load back down because of the cvt, key is to load the motor up, and load it back down in gear. If you wing up a 2 stroke, run it real hard for a bit and back off the throttle real quick, then blip back into it or try and reapply throttle they can run lean and stick a piston. Its a common mistake we always see people make down at the beach or on the flats in Sand Lake, Coos Bay, Florence and Winchester.

Edited by Snopczynski

Damn A lot of mixed views on the subject. Guess I will do the first 20 min cycle let it cool. Then warm it up and take it for a cruze. Im not going to rip on it just ride it a little bit.

this is very common in the world of motors, or racing for that matter. there are several topics that not everyone will agree on, everyone has differant opinions and differant success/failure stories. theres more then one way to skin a cat.