Shees getting spanked by a stock yfz 450 w a pipe

Ok I raced my buddy that has an 06 yfz 450 with just a pipe and he is spanking me everytime. I pull from him off the line then he cathes me than i pull again then around mid 4th gear he just walks on me. We even traded quads and it was the same thing, so its not the rider. We than raced on the paved rode and i did a little better but he still beats me. What is the deal?? my mods are listed below.

Its an 06

air box lid off w/ pro-design proflow kit

pro-design cool head 21cc domes

tommy t5's

timming plate set at +4 degres

pro design water inpeller

shift star

1 tooth down in the front

and jetting is right on

One lower on the front sprocket is also going to give you more torque and less top speed.

yep, personally i feel you should be one tooth up on the front not one down. 450's are tuff to beat. if you aren't able to get your shee ported yet atleast gear up a little (unless you're 240LB's+) it will help with your top speed, plus it will spread each gear out a little so you're not shifting so soon.

I am running hole shot h d's, the compression and cluch is fine. only like 5 hours on the quad. it is nice and smooth through the whole power band. I think I will change the gearring. I think im just spinning to much. hes pulling on me in the upper rpm's. I went one tooth down in the frunt because i ride alot of tight trails. so ill go back to stock gearing and race him and see if i do better.

Ok I raced my buddy that has an 06 yfz 450 with just a pipe and he is spanking me everytime. I pull from him off the line then he cathes me than i pull again then around mid 4th gear he just walks on me. We even traded quads and it was the same thing, so its not the rider. We than raced on the paved rode and i did a little better but he still beats me. What is the deal?? my mods are listed below.

Its an 06

air box lid off w/ pro-design proflow kit

pro-design cool head 21cc domes

tommy t5's

timming plate set at +4 degres

pro design water inpeller

shift star

1 tooth down in the front

and jetting is right on

I am running hole shot h d's, the compression and cluch is fine. only like 5 hours on the quad. it is nice and smooth through the whole power band. I think I will change the gearring. I think im just spinning to much. hes pulling on me in the upper rpm's. I went one tooth down in the frunt because i ride alot of tight trails. so ill go back to stock gearing and race him and see if i do better.

oh yeah, you're spinning way too much. you're right about adjusting your gearing for tight trails. but, instead of going back to stock gearing (14/41) try a 15 tooth front sprocket. they're cheap enough.

oh yeah, you're spinning way too much. you're right about adjusting your gearing for tight trails. but, instead of going back to stock gearing (14/41) try a 15 tooth front sprocket. they're cheap enough.

Still curious what kind of ground you're racing him on? Setup is about 70% of a race, yes gearing included but if you shift your weight around you can kill him even on dirt with one tooth down in the front.

I agree with okbeast you either need to be at stock gearing or 1 tooth up in the front. I have relatively close to the same mods as you, my motor is ported though and had the same problem a yfz was keepin up but I would pull him on the top end. I also have + 6 timing. Just play with it man its all about trial and error. IMO its better to sacrifice some on the bottom end to gain on the top, if the race is long enough to pull him.

sand or dirt? Drop the cool head to 20cc's. Can you afford to get rid of the airbox and run pods or take the lid off? Lighten the flywheel? The 450's are quick, I pull even with a 04' that has a cam mod, k&N, jet kit, and full pipe. I just got my bike ported though, so he dont stand a chance anymore. What tires you using?

Edited by Snopczynski