Shifting without the clutch? not so bad/bad?

My dad [on a late 1990's model blaster 250,fmf exaust, everything else stock] was killing me [2005 350 banshee, everything stock] on drag races down a dirt road. My banshee oviously has more power but he kept beating me so he told me to try shifting without using the clutch.[which was what he was doing on the blaster] just throttle it hard, then no trottle,shift, full throttle, for each gear. It definatley worked much better and I know that you can do this in cars if u can match the rpms correctly but is this bad for my banshee? or should i jstu get better at shifting with the clutch?

If you pratice you can shift just as fast with the clutch.

F that, you can shift just as fast. Practice shifting! Practice shifting so fast that you dont need to let off the throttle. With the clutch of course.

Mk thanks for the advice guys, but jsut out of curiousity i saw something like a gixxer on Super Bikes where the guy had the tansmission setup to where he didn't use to clutch and didn't let off the trottle and shift all the way upto 6th in about 5 seconds,while on a stand.But i was wondering if anyone made these for banshees. Also how do you ligten the pull of the clutch and how do u get it closer to the grip.

Yes you can get that for a banshee... its an overdrive tranny. You can shit at WOT without touching the clutch.

My dad [on a late 1990's model blaster 250,fmf exaust, everything else stock] was killing me [2005 350 banshee, everything stock] on drag races down a dirt road. My banshee oviously has more power but he kept beating me so he told me to try shifting without using the clutch.[which was what he was doing on the blaster] just throttle it hard, then no trottle,shift, full throttle, for each gear. It definatley worked much better and I know that you can do this in cars if u can match the rpms correctly but is this bad for my banshee? or should i jstu get better at shifting with the clutch?
This is bad for the transmission.I have split severeal trans down becuase they were popping out of 2nd and third gears.When you do not use the clutch it puts too much load on the shifting forks and slams the gears together and this will grind up your shift forks and woller out the engagement cogs on the trans gears.When that happens shifting forks usually run around 30 bucks each and your trans gears run around 75 bucks each.Multiply those numbers by 3-4 pieces and walla.You just ruined around 5-600 bucks worth of parts.Just my 2 cents.I would be more concerned with why a blaster is beating your banshee.Do you have good tires? OR are they just spinning?Is your machine running well?

i use to have a blaster, no matter what preformance i put on i couldent beat a banshee so i just got a banshee, any way DONT DO IT i learned how to shift so fast it sounds like a automatic gear box and u can to just practice, find a stright and race light, if u beat light surely u can beat ure dad

I do not use the clutch to shift, I never have on any bike I have owned, I had a banshee from 96 to 01 without using the clutch on the same tranny and clutch. But I agree it probably isnt the best thing for it. To each his own.

No, its not a good thing. The gears in a bike/atv tranny do mesh, its not the teeth your worried about. When you shift, you rotate the shift cam, which in turn slides the shift forks. Those shift forks slide the gears back and forth on the tranny shafts. Some gears are driven by/drive the shaft, the others float. Those floating gears only matter when they are engaged with the dogs on a gear next to them (when its slid into place by the forks). When you shift without the clutch, you're slamming those gears together and hoping for the best. You WILL wear them down, you WILL put more stress on your shift forks. Its unavoidable. Whether or not you will break something, nobody will be able to tell you.

As for the blaster beating you, well, if its a 250 blaster, odds are its ported, and probably at least 30 hp. Not to mention it weighs 70 lbs less. Since your banshee is stock, yes, I would put my money on the blaster.

Buy some pipes and you'll leave him in the dust.

There's a little dial right where the clutch lever is that you turn to make it tighter or softer. It's not that hard.

Thats there to adjust the slack in the cable, not how hard the pull is.

There are only 3 ways to soften the pull:

1. Use lighter clutch springs. BAD because the clutch will slip.

2. Buy a easy pull lever setup.

3. Buy a hydraulic clutch lever.

An override tranny is meant only for drag racing. You have to pull in the clutch when you are off the gas or else you will bend the shift forks.

I know its not what you want to hear, but you just got to get used to it. You will eventually.