Low cost fat peg idea

I had an idea when sleeping...one of my friends got pegs and could sell me them for something like 5$ each...if i weld them to my normal peg it would do a fat peg like IMS or Blingstar but for really less money...anyone tried it or could agree that the weld would hold??And what are the real benefit of fat peg...looks cool but does this really change something??

Take the throw away pegs and cut the peg part off flush with the mounting plate. Then test fit this peg in front of the stock peg, you'll notice that the mount plate curves down towards the ground so welding it like this would look ghetto. Mark on the cut peg where the mounting plate intersects and then cut the removed peg at a 45* angle to match the mounting plate. Put it back on in front of the stock peg and weld in place. There's no way you could break my welded pegs even if you wadded them up. I'll grab a picture tomorrow if I remember my camera.