whats my next mod ?

No..you'll get a 10% increase in power or so.

Those mods, drag porting and alky would make it no problem.

But...are you going to buy a longer swingarm, beef up the clutch, get an over ride tranny, etc. to complete the package.

Cause all that power won't do a thing if it can't get to the ground.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No..you'll get a 10% increase in power or so.

Those mods, drag porting and alky would make it no problem.

But...are you going to buy a longer swingarm, beef up the clutch, get an over ride tranny, etc. to complete the package.

the swingarm i would be willing to go up to a +2 or so .. i ride alot of trails and tight woods and wanna be able to turn .. as for clutch i just spent over 1000 on a complete hinson set up...(9plate inner hub) .. im hoping this will handle the power ..

You're fighting a losing battle already if you want to keep it on the trail, too.

Buy a 450 and mod it...

You're simply not going to get the kinda power you want to whip that 450...then be able to ride it in tight trails too.

It would take thousands of dollars of motor work SECOND, chassis and suspension work first to even think about this.

Some people will tell you here it can be done....but I'm going to say it can't be....

Put 70 + HP on a banshee with a stock or 2 over arm...and you'll be steering with the front tires in the air, or trying to....

4 strokes put out a less-violent type of power, that hug the ground, keep traction and catapult them like a tractor....

Sorry....you just can't have it both ways in my opinion....especially not on a 1500 dollar budget.

You can try...but in the end I think you'll be disappointed you wasted 1500 to 2000 dollars and you didn't accomplish what you were trying to do....smoke a 450 at their own game....and a highly modded 450 at that.

I think you wasted money on that hinson. For that amount you could've used stock inner and outer hub, billet basket, ran a pusher mod (pancake bearing) and a lockup clutch...and never had to worry about the clutch again.

And only spent half that.

im a lil depressed now .... and your right ... all my friends switched over to 4 strokes ... i ve spent alot so far trying to hang with em in the trails ... denton a arms .. works triple rates .. .stainless lines .etc... .. and you know what they still outhandle me and out brake me .. But for some reason i cant let this 2stoke thing go .I love the way they sound and the power feels .. I get on my friends 700 raptor and it feels like a lazy boy recliner .. I guess i like the crudeness of the banshee .. that violent hit of the powerband you cant get with a a4stroke ..... while you are right ill never beat them at there own game .. i cant give up ... it might cost me to much in the end but ...IM GONNA WHIP THAT 450 !

And that...my friend, is why I have two bikes. A bone stock (ok, pipe and air filter) 400EX to play ride and push through trails...and my 10 mil drag bike.

I got a few runs (1/2 throttle) on my drag bike this weekend, 1st time out. Lost spark...etc.

Put it on the trailer, and bombed around the dunes in my 4 poke nearly all weekend.

Best of both worlds...

Why I never expect to win a drag race with my 400, I know I push a button...and I'm good to go. Beat on it all weekend, didn't even use a 1/2 tank of gas....

If I was in your shoes(which I kinda am...the only 2-stroke) I would have a good builder do a nice aggressive dune port($100 per cylinder), new top end($150), 30mm carbs($275), adjustable timing plate($90), Noss head($210) if you already have a cool head 19 or 20($60), CPI's($550).

I know that comes to 1600 something with the head. You could shave the head for dirt cheap and save a $150 if you still have the stocker. You would still need a swinger eventually. This is the setup I have and it's a pretty good runner, you'd be surprised.

I'm just throwing out ideas for yuh, everyone else is so figured might as well.

• 2 weeks later...

update on my on going quest to whip this 450 .... Is this a fair price ? .. install . 7mm Stroker Crank, Wiseco Pro Lite Pistons, all new gaskets and seals, drag port cylinders, port match cases, bore cylinders, lighten flywheel, port reed cages, window pistons, cut cases for stroke, 2300 ... labor included .. ? ... i found a pair of cpi small bore inframes barely used with silencers for 350 .. now i just need to get new carbs .. theey are telling me i have to run 34s ... ? i was hoping on spending 1500 ... that was a joke ... when im done im gonna be about 3 grand deep .. what kinda HP do you guys think ? .. 1 more quick ? should i be alright only going +2 on the swingarm ?

update on my on going quest to whip this 450 .... Is this a fair price ? .. install . 7mm Stroker Crank, Wiseco Pro Lite Pistons, all new gaskets and seals, drag port cylinders, port match cases, bore cylinders, lighten flywheel, port reed cages, window pistons, cut cases for stroke, 2300 ... labor included .. ? ... i found a pair of cpi small bore inframes barely used with silencers for 350 .. now i just need to get new carbs .. theey are telling me i have to run 34s ... ? i was hoping on spending 1500 ... that was a joke ... when im done im gonna be about 3 grand deep .. what kinda HP do you guys think ? .. 1 more quick ? should i be alright only going +2 on the swingarm ?

with a 7 mil,i say atleast a +4,and i honestly think it wont be enough,but if you ride trails the +4swnger will have to do.have fun.one more thing i dont think that the motor youre building will be trail friendly.my .2 cents

Stock vs. stock...or piped vs. piped...a new 450 will beat a banshee.

I've felt that for myself first handed. Before i got my shee, i read so much about piped shees beating the shit out of piped/filtered 450's. What i didnt understand what either they were lieing or bad drivers. I got my chance, i raced almost all the 450's around. I got beat 9 times out of 10. That 1 out of the 10 i won was if they missed some gears...bad.

That's what make me go away from the 4mm cub idea i had.

Tomarrow i am sending off my juggs to flotek to get ported and my flywheel lightened. That along with a few other goodies will be the end of my performance mods untill i can get another shee for a drag only bike.

KingzofNY, my shee is only a playbike at best, always will be. In my opinion, there's a limit to any atv where it starts to become more of a drag bike then a playbike. After i get all this work done to my shee within the next month and it still gets beat....oh well. I will still have paid half the price as someone with a $9000 450. That is a victory by itself. :yelrotflmao:

woops, im rambling on here. ok i quit :)

Edited by RagunCajun

Thats one thing about kids these days. Mommy and Daddy give them a blank check and they find a builder and you can have all kinds of shit done to these bikes, and not know it from the outside. I'd seriously look into the cubby, I love mine. Next mods for me are going to be shocks, I spin like hell and I don't even have Shearer's or CPI's, which are coming if I can get a good price on them and sell my T-5's.

If you go this route you can always upgrade other parts, but it is a great powerplant to start with.............

But the key is do your research to know what you are getting into as far as cost. Give Jeff at FAST a call, but either way research, research, research, oh, and did I mention research................

Thats one thing about kids these days. Mommy and Daddy give them a blank check and they find a builder and you can have all kinds of shit done to these bikes, and not know it from the outside. I'd seriously look into the cubby, I love mine. Next mods for me are going to be shocks, I spin like hell and I don't even have Shearer's or CPI's, which are coming if I can get a good price on them and sell my T-5's.

If you go this route you can always upgrade other parts, but it is a great powerplant to start with.............

But the key is do your research to know what you are getting into as far as cost. Give Jeff at FAST a call, but either way research, research, research, oh, and did I mention research................

I did not read all posts but get the picture. Holding your own against thumpers in trails will likely take MX porting and NOT dune porting. Also, a 4mm stroker crank and 1into2 carb with 2into1 pipe will offer an insane bottom to mid hit that will be a little weak on the topend compared to drag bikes but make the bike MUCH more ridable. We have built a few of them for MX guys and DAMN they will go for the holeshot. You can make a banshee hit on the bottom. Also, we also use super high compression to help the bottom end. (250psi)

I used to love to race these full race Banshees in hare scrambles. I used a modded 300ex and believe me, they were pissed and tired from trying to catch me. They had WAY more go but they took their snow skies to a swimming party.

Brandon

............I dont know if this coment was directed at me but .. i am by no means a kid ... im 36 yrs old with 2 kids a house and a dog ... any money im putting into this money pit was worked for .. As for the direction im going with this bike i realize it will no longer be a good trail bike .. but you know what... it never was .. never will be and never could be .. .. Banshees were never a good trail/mx bike since they were made .. People and companys with unlimited money have tried to race em on a track and come up short .. when every one was racing 2 strokes the trx 250r has always handed banshees there ass on the track...and now the 450s are doing the same on the trails ... So while i know my choice of motor is gonna make it more trail unfriendly I guess ill have to wait for that straightaway to pull on side em an absolutley destroy any 4 stroke near me .. And you know what if i wanna continue riding a banshee ive come to realize that all its really good for any way ...line em up and let go !!!

............I dont know if this coment was directed at me but .. i am by no means a kid ... im 36 yrs old with 2 kids a house and a dog ... any money im putting into this money pit was worked for .. As for the direction im going with this bike i realize it will no longer be a good trail bike .. but you know what... it never was .. never will be and never could be .. .. Banshees were never a good trail/mx bike since they were made .. People and companys with unlimited money have tried to race em on a track and come up short .. when every one was racing 2 strokes the trx 250r has always handed banshees there ass on the track...and now the 450s are doing the same on the trails ... So while i know my choice of motor is gonna make it more trail unfriendly I guess ill have to wait for that straightaway to pull on side em an absolutley destroy any 4 stroke near me .. And you know what if i wanna continue riding a banshee ive come to realize that all its really good for any way ...line em up and let go !!!

BTW.......I would have given jeff from fast a call but i read all the posts on here saying how backed up with work he is .. While this must be due to his great work, and may make people want his work even more ,id bet it scares just as many from even call him..as they dont want a few months down time during peak season ..