cub problem

All you guys with cubs, I was riding this past weekend and all of a sudden my motor lost the "ping" in the pipe almost like a bog, "very rich". When I feather the throttle it picks back up on the pipe, but I dont know whats up with it. I was thinking mabye loose jet, broken reed? I checked plugs and they looked good. Its a 421 4 mill cub with 35's, and shearer inframes. It was running fine all day then all this shit happened.

I hope its something simple. I think I felt a slight case of detonation also I'm running pump gas with 20cc domes and timing advanced +4. It figures it happened when 5 450's showed up at the pit. I'm running v force reeds, are they common for breaking?

uhhh, 20cc domes and +4 timing on pump gas?? whats your compression? sound like you might have solved your own problem. what jetting?

wow, i agree. 20cc domes and +4 timing on pump gas is not a good mix. unless your elevation is real high, real high. i've seen and heard of v-forceII reeds breaking. how long have you ran this engine? like loco asked, check your compression, hopefully it's not too late. you may have to bump up the octane to around 100 unless your comp is high then you'll need more.

I believe the jets are 155 mains. Would VP C12 be ok? I'm gonna take the carbs and reeds off tomorrow and check compression. Ive ran the reeds for about 3 yrs. The bike ran fine all day, when it started acting up I just rode it to get back to the truck, so I hope theres no damage. Also noticed coolant dripping on my headpipes, I have a ESR temp gauge and the temp didnt get over 150. Running engine ice.