Will this give a cub a run for its money?

ok guys.. heres my setup

T-5's

A 35mm 2 into 1 carb setup

K&N pod filter

( working on) Jeff Dune port ( and polish if he does it and as agressive as he can get the port)

v force 3's

Case porting ( also by jeff eventually)

21cc cool head

Hinson straight cut gears.

Modded shift star

HD barnett clutch

modded shift spring

Hot Rod true and welded crank

Im still saving for the port job and stuff.. got a long way to go though...

mainly my main concern is.. the 35mm carb was fine with the stock size.. but im concearned about it with the port job. Ive heard itll Choke the motor. Should i switch to dual carbs? ( i can its no problem cause ive been asked by a friend who has a dual 35mm dual carb setup and he wants to trade even.) Should i? But whats the BEST carbs for this? cause i can get 35's, 37's. 39's, or even 41's. I dont think it needs 41's it might be a little too much for fireroad trails.

So with all those mods, will this thing give a cub a run for its money? i have the stock swingarm and +2+1 a arms.

Edited by CRAZY-SHEE!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gonna say no on running with a cub. You are trying to race a play bike against a drag bike.

Friend of mine has jeffs dune port and it is a blast to ride! 35pwks cpis +5 timing 19cc domes in his noss machine head. You can ride the bike all day long and still have fun on the drag strip with it as long as you dont line up next to a full on drag bike. He is running a 6 over arm on his though. It will still pull the tires no problem.

As for the carbs... If you want more of a top end bike, I'd go to the two carb set up... Some 35's would be perfect... No need for more than that!

Now, can you beat a cub??? I'd say no, but I'd guess it comes down to the bike and rider you line up against.

Just my .02

a race is 80/20... 80% rider ....20% motor....

you can have a monster of a bike but if you cant launch and ride the thing your nto going to win...

id say if you raced and evenly experianced rider with a 421 cub (pretty standard cub) no your going to have the lesser of the two cards delt...

I WOULD SAY NO, EVEN WITH 35 DUAL CARBS. BUT YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES. A CUB JUG HAS 14 PORTS, AS A STOCK PORTED JUG HAS ONLY 8 PORTS. THE CUB CYLINDER IS ALMOST A GRAND FOR A REASON. IF YOU COULD MAKE THE KIND OF POWER THE CUB MAKES WITH STOCK PORTED JUGS WHY WOULD PEOPLE BUY CUBS. IMO.......

I don't know what you guys are talking about....

All he has to do is...when no one is looking, pull a spark plug wire on the cub, stuff a bananna in one of the tail pipes, you'll be handing it to 'em!!!

(Just make sure you keep riding, cause when he figures it out, it might make the 6 o'clock news)

There are a few builders out there that can make a lil 350 run with a smaller cub.

Jeff happens to be one of them.

I think you're gonna need some drag porting and bigger carbs, probably switch over to alky as well. And...if you're gonna be putting down at or around 70 HP on a stock swinger, good luck.

I would rearrange bansh-eman's statement, though.

80% rider, 10% setup and 10% motor.

(On a bike ONLY scale, 70% setup and 30% motor)

Having 100 HP doesn't mean squat if you can't get it to the ground, get the bike to shift, etc....trust me, I know.

I got my 421 cub motor's power to the ground, but...it didn't shift for shit...because I had a stock tranny (No override)...

Lesson learned...

i kinda went generalized and rolled the setup and motor into one....

Greg...

If we weren't here to bust each other's balls now and then, what fun would it be??

:yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao:

LOL....

I know what you meant...but, you'll agree too many people want a top fuel motor but overlook the chassis, suspension, clutch and tranny...

When I built my 4 mil cub, I knew it wouldn't shift real great, but...I didn't know it was going to shift as shitty as it did (if it would shift at all...)

When you're putting down 70 plus HP...you need a longer swinger, period.

I disagree. I believe you could run with a cub if you have dual carbs. You may not beat one but you could be close. It all depends on what is done to the cub motor. If it hasnt been cleaned up or ported. My old bike used to run pretty good against them and it was a stock cylinder motor dune/play ported by Jeff, VForce II reeds, T5s, stock carbs, on pump gas. I had a +4 swingarm with 6 paddle Brats. My friend has a cleaned up cub with VForce II, 35s, CPIs, race gas, +4 swingarm with 9 paddle extreme Haulers. When I raced him we would swap wins. Now, if you were racing motor against motor, probably not. But, there are a lot more factors to consider. As bansh-eman and SoCalinIt said, you arent racing just the motor. You have the riders weight and experience, the bikes weight, motor builder, swingarm length, paddles, etc.... Like I said, it is possible, I have done it several times!

I know what you meant...but, you'll agree too many people want a top fuel motor but overlook the chassis, suspension, clutch and tranny...

absolutly... i am helping a guy that wanted to build a "mother fuker of a motor" as he put it... told me i got 3 grand G ...so i asked him ok after we got you setup with a 130 hp motor... and before i could finish he was like hell yea thats what im talkin about... so i said it again once we got you a 130 hp setup... how do you plan on getting that pwer to the ground and controlling it?

then he realized hummm theres alot more to it then what came to thought...

ok i got my friends dual carbs... today! we actually just real quick swappedem we had a BIG ASSjet kit and we jeted them.. and i like the dual carbs better. 38mm keighn. he said 35's O.o AND THERYE POLISHED!

anywho do u guys think i need a extended swinger for tyhis?` i asked before and u guys said no....

also i found this cool thing imma buy from fast called a velocity something something.. it looks cool and is supposed to give u a better powerband.. not bad for 40 bucks.

Edited by CRAZY-SHEE!