should i make the change

mod quad 2

I hate to say it but if your gonna be serious you'll probably want to make the switch. Sure you can get the banshee running with the 450s but itll kill you and your pocket.

+1

If you know how to ride a 2 stroke it probably won't be any more expensive if not less to equip the banshee with suspension and other mods to bring it up to par.

If you want to be serious on a 450 you'll be upgrading your suspension ($$$) plus the high price tag of a 450 so either way your spending big $$$.

if you race mx and you want to be competitive you have to be on a 450 , thats the bottom line . i dont care how much aftermarket parts you put on your banshee its not as good as the newer 450's on the track , i have banshee with extended axle and +2+1 and ohlin fronts , and my brothers trx 450 and yfz 450 walk away from it on the track , im not even going to get into the torq and traction a new 4 stroke gets , something the banshee lacks in both departments ,

you all can say its 90% rider and 10% bike and thats true to an extent but what happens when you are racing people that are on the same skill level that you are on , then alot has to do with the bike . i can pass people that are at a lower skill level than me but that doesnt mean any thing , take 2 guys that are at the same level put 1 on a new 450 and another on a banshee with the works and my money is on the 450.

i am not talking out of my ass , i have been racing MX for at least 15 years , i take my banshee to the track for fun but when you take a 450 around the track you feel the difference right away.

i raced a cr 250 for the last couple of years and on my first day on a crf 450 my lap times were alot faster the first couple laps , guys i rode with that were even with me before i would pull away from on the new 450. and the 250 2 stroke and the 450 have the same geometry ,

bottom line is ride one and you decide , but the banshee is not built for the track , 450's are . and if you are putting down fast lap times on a banshee i guarantee you would be even faster on a new 450.

just my 2 cents

I didn't have any problem keeping up with c class riders on 400's-450's and my banshee was stock aside from fmf's and my tires/rims. (the track was muddy so that just compounded my traction/cornering problems at the time)

I can't imagine the diffrence it will make when I get my swinger, a arms, and shocks on. I'm sure it will be a much more pleasent experience also.

I'll be honest with you, from the looks of your bike and the mods you just listed. You're definately lacking some much needed mods to keep competitive with good riders on modded 450's. What's your engine/exaust/intake combo? You have to broaden the powerband to smooth out the power and get a -1 to -2 swinger to help get the power to the ground on the track. Aside from that the rest is up to you, if you're bike is wide enough to corner fast, has enough suspension to soak up the bumps, jumps, whoops, and can get traction. The rest is up to you.

That's just my veiw on it, I'm not saying one's better then the other because that's preference. I'm just defending that fact that you CAN be competitive on a banshee if you know how to ride a 2 stroke and have it set up properly.

I didn't have any problem keeping up with c class riders on 400's-450's and my banshee was stock aside from fmf's and my tires/rims. (the track was muddy so that just compounded my traction/cornering problems at the time)

I can't imagine the diffrence it will make when I get my swinger, a arms, and shocks on. I'm sure it will be a much more pleasent experience also.

I'll be honest with you, from the looks of your bike and the mods you just listed. You're definately lacking some much needed mods to keep competitive with good riders on modded 450's. What's your engine/exaust/intake combo? You have to broaden the powerband to smooth out the power and get a -1 to -2 swinger to help get the power to the ground on the track. Aside from that the rest is up to you, if you're bike is wide enough to corner fast, has enough suspension to soak up the bumps, jumps, whoops, and can get traction. The rest is up to you.

That's just my veiw on it, I'm not saying one's better then the other because that's preference. I'm just defending that fact that you CAN be competitive on a banshee if you know how to ride a 2 stroke and have it set up properly.

my banshee in my sig is alot different now , old pic . now has ohlins front shocks , +2+1 arms , pep rear shock , i tried pt mids, didnt like them .

any way you look at it you are handicapping your self racing MX on a banshee , if they were so good on a track more people would race them .

dont get me wrong i love my banshee but i know what it was built for , passing 450's in a straight line

Just to add something to this subject, I rode a cannondale moto at the track sunday and I like it more than any 450 Ive ever ridden. It was fast as hell, and I like how its a more roomy machine.

i heard a lot of horror stories about cannondales , i heard they are not reliable at all , i know that cannondale tried to race their bike in the outdoor motorcross series and could not get 1 bike to finish a race , DNF ( did not finish ) , they had a bunch of problems , heard the quads were the same , i saw one though and it looked pretty trick , fuel injection , oil was in the frame , and i remember right i think the fuel injection was in the front of the motor and the exhaust came out of the back ,

i think another company bought them ( ATK i think but im not sure )

Edited by woodro77

i heard a lot of horror stories about cannondales , i heard they are not reliable at all , i know that cannondale tried to race their bike in the outdoor motorcross series and could not get 1 bike to finish a race , DNF ( did not finish ) , they had a bunch of problems , heard the quads were the same , i saw one though and it looked pretty trick , fuel injection , oil was in the frame , and i remember right i think the fuel injection was in the front of the motor and the exhaust came out of the back ,

i think another company bought them ( ATK i think but im not sure )

That's correct, Cannondale had a shitload of bugs to work out but they went bank rupt or something, I don't remember all the details. But yeah ATK bought them and fixed all of their problems and put out "kits" or services to fix the older dale's problems. If anyone wants or is looking to buy one be sure it has the upgrades, is an actual ATK, or plan on doing the upgrades.

I talked to a girl who raced a dale in the texas motocross series and her shit was ALWAYS broke down. :down:

But I'd own one in a heart beat.

Just to add something to this subject, I rode a cannondale moto at the track sunday and I like it more than any 450 Ive ever ridden. It was fast as hell, and I like how its a more roomy machine.

they have hidden hand grenades in the motor....word is it finally killed all the mechanics and cannondale had to sell :yelrotflmao:

I would get a 450 if you plan on racing motocross for a while and want to be competitive. A banshee can be a good starter quad to learn on, but once you get fast on a banshee... you will be 10x faster once you hop on a 450! They just dont wear you out as much and are much more forgiving. A banshee you have to be in the perfect gear out of corners, 450 you can just pull through about anything. I love my banshee tho and will not be changin over to a 450 anytime soon!! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

i have been racing mx damn near my whole life started off on 250r back in the day since then raced z400 built to the moon about 5 years ago then jumped on honda 450 now on ltr450.

i have ran open class on my z470 an ran with many bansheee's at national leval and yea granted if they are a rider out of the whole i couldnt touch them but i always told me self pressure a 2 stroke hard for a lap or 2 and they will wear thereself out!!!! thats the main issue they just beat u up to bad!!!! and only 2 stroke that handled worth a damn on the mx track was the 250r!!!

i do hate to be behind a banshee on a hard pack track that damn roost kills!!!!

i have had every 450 out fully setup with walsh suspension etc and if i had to buy any 450 i would take the ltr450 again i love it handles better than my honda 450 did and yamaha450

just my 2 cents