PLUG HEAT RANGE QUESTION

thack

OK I JUST PUT A .030 DECKED HEAD ON .GOING TO PUT A ADJUSTABLE TIMING PLATE ON NEXT WEEK WHEN IT GETS HERE.IVE GOT FATTY PIPES UNI FILTER .BOYSEN REEDS.STOCK BORE AND PORTING.WITH 145 PSI COMPRESION WITH A NOLIGY COIL.JETTING IS SPOT ON EXEPT THE PLUGS READ A LITTLE HOT MY BR8ES PLUGS ELECTRODE SHOWS A COLOR CHANGE CLOSER TO THE WELD INDICATING A HOT PLUG .SHOULD I BUMP THE FUEL UP SOME OR GO TO A BR9ES PLUG .RUNNING 93 OCTANE AT THE MOMENT BUT I CAN CUT IT WITH AV FUEL IF I NEED TO .JETTING IS 270 MAINS WITH DYNOJET NEEDLES(DNO304),CLIP ON THE FOURTH GROVE.1000 FEET ELEVATION.

OK I JUST PUT A .030 DECKED HEAD ON .GOING TO PUT A ADJUSTABLE TIMING PLATE ON NEXT WEEK WHEN IT GETS HERE.IVE GOT FATTY PIPES UNI FILTER .BOYSEN REEDS.STOCK BORE AND PORTING.WITH 145 PSI COMPRESION WITH A NOLIGY COIL.JETTING IS SPOT ON EXEPT THE PLUGS READ A LITTLE HOT MY BR8ES PLUGS ELECTRODE SHOWS A COLOR CHANGE CLOSER TO THE WELD INDICATING A HOT PLUG .SHOULD I BUMP THE FUEL UP SOME OR GO TO A BR9ES PLUG .RUNNING 93 OCTANE AT THE MOMENT BUT I CAN CUT IT WITH AV FUEL IF I NEED TO .JETTING IS 270 MAINS WITH DYNOJET NEEDLES(DNO304),CLIP ON THE FOURTH GROVE.1000 FEET ELEVATION.

Color change....which color...you want the weld to be black and turning chocalate brown where the electrode bends and maintaining chocalate color across the tip...tan is lean.

Color change....which color...you want the weld to be black and turning chocalate brown where the electrode bends and maintaining chocalate color across the tip...tan is lean.

check out my pics and look under plug pics .lookes like thats close to me .ceramic is dirty thanks to my fat fingers almost dropping it and grabing the ceramic end to catch it

Edited by thack

How exactly are you doing the plug chop? They should look like this:

http://www.bansheehq.com/index.php?option=...3&Itemid=28

but yours come out with all of the electrode brown...

not all brown my dirty fingers had a little to do with that. i need to do the plug chop they way it was described and check agian .

when is it neceesary to switch to br9es

A lot of people just run the 8's. I prefer running 9's with my compression and timing just to be on the safe side. If your bike is tuned properly it will handle the 9's no problem, I replace my plugs once a season just for grins, but I have yet to foul a plug running 9's. However, if you're bike is rich and it doesn't need the 9's it will foul them. Making the switch is just a further ping or detonation risk reducer. To give you an idea, I am running 175+psi (192 psi at sea level, yes it's been double/triple checked with different testers don't write me...) with +4* timing advance. I was told I probably didn't need to switch, but I did and now I would feel scared to run 8's.

check out my pics and look under plug pics .lookes like thats close to me .ceramic is dirty thanks to my fat fingers almost dropping it and grabing the ceramic end to catch it

You pulled the plugs after a wot run in 6th gear for 5-10 seconds, shut the bike off, coast to a stop, pull these plugs out and chopped them??? If not, then you need to....If you did, then your running too rich..doesn't look like a wide open run though.