Anyway to take the powdercoat off my frame?

8buck

Then scrape is off with a sharp putty knife or that toothbrushed sized wire brush.... finish with a rag..

I will retract my previous statement that aircraft stripper would not work on powder coating. I obviously have not experienced that particular stripper before. It looks like it works well. :thumbsup:

these arms were pc'ed by a guy on another atv forum. he's a very popular guy for powdercoating stuff, so i'm assuming he does good work. the translucent red pc held up for 2 years that i rode with em, I had a few nicks in the pic tho. Translucent red is a sprayed in atleast two coats, so ya hafta figure this red pc was laid on pretty thick. The stripper mowed it right down. I used one can of stripper and did all four a-arms. If you let the stripper on too long it will dry up and the PC wont strip off, Iv found that 20 minutes is the right time to start scraping it off. I take the bulk of it off with that putty knife and then hit up the tight spots with that orange wire brush.

these arms were pc'ed by a guy on another atv forum. he's a very popular guy for powdercoating stuff, so i'm assuming he does good work. the translucent red pc held up for 2 years that i rode with em, I had a few nicks in the pic tho. Translucent red is a sprayed in atleast two coats, so ya hafta figure this red pc was laid on pretty thick. The stripper mowed it right down. I used one can of stripper and did all four a-arms. If you let the stripper on too long it will dry up and the PC wont strip off, Iv found that 20 minutes is the right time to start scraping it off. I take the bulk of it off with that putty knife and then hit up the tight spots with that orange wire brush.

The red is actually the thinner coat. Trans colors are mostly laid over chrome bases, and then the color coating on top. That stuff for sure did a great job attacking the coating :thumbsup: has to be good shit right there, because I for one know that PC is a bitch at times.

If your going to chrome the frame take it to a media blaster,sand blasting pitts the metal so the chromer will end up having to grind or sand the frame smooth again.We use aircraft stripper at our shop all the time but its a pain to get the pc out of tight corners or of welds,so if you have the time and wanna save some money thats what i would use.

I just finished up a set of brackets for a jeep cherokee front bumper that were powder coated. I sprayed up the brakets with the stripper and the old PC scraped right off, altho I will say it was harder to remove the pc off the brackets than it was to remove off the A-arms.

My biggest concern with the AC stripper is the chemicals left on the metal. I wipe everything down really really really good, the I pre-heat the part and then I sandblast it after it cools. Pre heat a second time and then spray it. Im pretty sure I have all 100% of the AC stripper chemicals off the metal. On another note, don't get this stuff on your skin, it burns like hell.

almost forgot. I tried the stripper than comes in a can and you put it on with a brush. It sucked. Dont use it. Get the spray on stuff, shake it up really good and give it time to cook before you go scrapin'.

if you get your frame chromed. you better start sealing every hole, and grinding down the yamaha birdshit welds smooth.i seen a former eagles banshee frame try to get chromed, duece staley. all the rust and shit in the frame contaminated the platers nickle bath. the frame came out looking like led instead of chrome. it can be done but it is really labor intensive, all prep work.like travis said any little imperfection will show.start grinding now.

i love meats lil how too`s.i am using that brush on crap with an axle carrier now and it blows. off to wallmart for the spray.i miss the BANSHEEZONE!

yeah the brush on stuff sucks, even though its suppose to be the same thing stay with the spray. The spray took off all the remaining paint on my frame and swinger, now its going to be blasted then hopefully PC'd.

Also when using the spray or brush on for that matter, if you have access to a pressure washer, after letting it sit on there, there is no reason to use a scraper and rag, the pressure washer will strip it right off in a second.

Also when using the spray or brush on for that matter, if you have access to a pressure washer, after letting it sit on there, there is no reason to use a scraper and rag, the pressure washer will strip it right off in a second.

ya i used a garden hose when i stripped the frame. good tip