Guess my Dyno

ojcool

BTW on a flow sensor, you don't really know what your measuring untill you have something to compare it to. So it is TOTALLY impractical to put on in unless there is a very obvious reason why you would want to measure this.. We used them on water injected engines to see how much water we were injecting, but only because we were trying to compare it to a certain amount of injected water and how much inter-cooling effect it had.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, you worked at a dyno shop. Exactly what you you use to measure 20 different sources? It's possible, but thats exacly why I was speaking so highly of the shop I worked at.

Do, tell what ecxaclty do you use to measure these different probes, how do they work? You don't know. All you know is how to search the internet.

Oh, and measuring timing..... nevermind. You don't seem very practical in your knowledge.

20 different data sources was a minimum number. 170 is more realistic for a dyno in a large racing facility. Measuring each one of the parameter that I mentioned before for each cylinder in a eight cylinder engine sucks up data channels very quickly. Of course on a four stroke engine you could be pulling temperature and pressure data from several other sources that are necessary on a fuel injected engine.

I am not sure what you mean by measuring the differnt probes. Most sensor operate on the vrefernce voltage principal or the principal of resistance. If you know what your sensor is upposed to out put (resistance vs. temp. as an example of a thermistor) then it's pretty much a plug and play deal with the DAS.

Measuring spark timing isn't that big of deal. Any twat with a timing light can monitor it on a remote coile ignition system. For coil on plug systems you have to use the negative signal on each or all of the coils. Most modern ignition systems provide a spark timing signal via the engine managemtn computers OBDIII or higher patch connector. :thumbsup:

BTW on a flow sensor, you don't really know what your measuring untill you have something to compare it to. So it is TOTALLY impractical to put on in unless there is a very obvious reason why you would want to measure this.. We used them on water injected engines to see how much water we were injecting, but only because we were trying to compare it to a certain amount of injected water and how much inter-cooling effect it had.

That's not really true all you need to know if the operation profile of the fuel turbine and the specific gravity of the fuel. It's really a quite common measuement that is done all the time. Even by Jethro and Billy-Bob with their Dynojet chassis dyno. :thumbsup:

20 different data sources was a minimum number. 170 is more realistic for a dyno in a large racing facility. Measuring each one of the parameter that I mentioned before for each cylinder in a eight cylinder engine sucks up data channels very quickly. Of course on a four stroke engine you could be pulling temperature and pressure data from several other sources that are necessary on a fuel injected engine.

I am not sure what you mean by measuring the differnt probes. Most sensor operate on the vrefernce voltage principal or the principal of resistance. If you know what your sensor is upposed to out put (resistance vs. temp. as an example of a thermistor) then it's pretty much a plug and play deal with the DAS.

Measuring spark timing isn't that big of deal. Any twat with a timing light can monitor it on a remote coile ignition system. For coil on plug systems you have to use the negative signal on each or all of the coils. Most modern ignition systems provide a spark timing signal via the engine managemtn computers OBDIII or higher patch connector. :thumbsup:

OBDII computers do that dumbass. We are not talking about STOCK components. And we are not talking about multi million dollar dyno shops. We are talkling about reality. YOU cannot afford to have anything tuned at the GM plant.

I thought this thread was about banshees? What happened to banshees, now were on cars.

SO when were utilizing stock components you would know (dyno shop employee and all) that I can look in the chip program and tell you exaclty how much timing the car is running exaclty when under load, any weather condition ANYTHING. Thats called a timing map.

But we are talking banshee. How are you going to practically determine how much timing the banshee CDI is running during a run? Without just taking any data, base timing increase vs stock timing curve. Huh, how you gonna do that, you said you could, explain...

And the magic answer your looking for is VOLTAGE all these sensors are calibrated to output a voltage reading. IF you have the software to measure their range, you can measure anything you want. Provided you know what the voltage means.. But, dyno shop, you worked at one.

That's not really true all you need to know if the operation profile of the fuel turbine and the specific gravity of the fuel. It's really a quite common measuement that is done all the time. Even by Jethro and Billy-Bob with their Dynojet chassis dyno. :thumbsup:

Really common measurement? Examples?

It's NOT a common measurement because you don't NEED to measure that due to the million other ways you can tell if an engine is starving for fuel.

OBDII computers do that dumbass. We are not talking about STOCK components. And we are not talking about multi million dollar dyno shops. We are talkling about reality. YOU cannot afford to have anything tuned at the GM plant.

I thought this thread was about banshees? What happened to banshees, now were on cars.

SO when were utilizing stock components you would know (dyno shop employee and all) that I can look in the chip program and tell you exaclty how much timing the car is running exaclty when under load, any weather condition ANYTHING. Thats called a timing map.

But we are talking banshee. How are you going to practically determine how much timing the banshee CDI is running during a run? Without just taking any data, base timing increase vs stock timing curve. Huh, how you gonna do that, you said you could, explain...

Easy there Wang Chung, you're the one that drug the Mustang video into this.

WTF is a chip program. A timing map is great, but it is not representative of the timing of the actual spark at the engine, especially if the timing is a calculated value based off of a learning look-up-table.

I will keep my comments stock Banshee specific from now on.

In regards to stock Banshee timing, you are only going to be able to determine a spark profile at the cylinder. The Banshee uses a waste spark system where both plugs fire every 180 degrees of crank rotation. Knowing that and knowing the crank position, you are able to extrapolate total engine timing. :thumbsup:

Do you even know what I'm talking about here? Obviously you don't, because you have NO practical knowledge about tuning a car on a dyno.

Also I notice it takes you forever to respond to anything I post. Obviously because your searching the internet to find information.

WTF is a chip program. A timing map is great, but it is not representative of the timing of the actual spark at the engine, especially if the timing is a calculated value based off of a learning look-up-table.

In regards to stock Banshee timing, you are only going to be able to determine a spark profile at the cylinder. The Banshee uses a waste spark system where both plugs fire every 180 degrees of crank rotation. Knowing that and knowing the crank position, you are able to extrapolate total engine timing. :thumbsup:

See if you knew ANYTHING about what your talking about you would know that you can manipulate the "look up tables" in the PCM. But you don't know that because you used to people tuning with piggybacks.

Really common measurement? Examples?

It's NOT a common measurement because you don't NEED to measure that due to the million other ways you can tell if an engine is starving for fuel.

Common example of people who monitor fuel flow on their dyno's: Ford, GM, TRD, HPD, Kenworth, Freightliner, Gibbs racing, DEI, RCR racing, Andretti Greene racing, Toyota F1 (TMG), Cosworth, Ilmor, and the list goes on.

You are never trying to figure out if you are lean or not based on fuel flow. You are calculating engine efficiency, fuel mileage, and several othe relationships between other measurements, when you are measuring fuel flow. :shoothead:

Read you own post, that tells you nothing about what timing the PCM is running. The only way to tell would be to put a crank trigger on the engine and compare that measurement to when the coil sparks. Nice try using the "waste spark" statement. Waste spark tells you NOTHING.

See if you knew ANYTHING about what your talking about you would know that you can manipulate the "look up tables" in the PCM. But you don't know that because you used to people tuning with piggybacks.

piggyback.jpg

I swear that I have never tuned anything like this. :unsure: