I wanna buy a Jeep Wrangler...

Meat

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a 6cyl hard top TJ. I love it. I rigged up a hoist system in my garage to where i can take the top off myself. I just back it in, unscrew the 6 bolts, hook up the hoist and off comes the top. Pretty simple. It's quieter and a little warmer in teh cold than a soft top. But, with a soft top, you always have your top with you.(unless you take it completely off) Ideally, i'd like to have both. But i got the hard top just because i prefer it. I'm getting a bikini top for the summer. My buddy has a soft top and it's not bad at all. He's a little jealous of me in the winter and i'm a little jealous in the summer, just because he can put the top up in one of those pop up rainstorms. But they both have thier pro's and con's. I definately without a doubt suggest the full/hard doors. Unless of course it's gonna be a strictly off road jeep. Then those half doors are nice, but for a DD, full doors without a doubt. That was a no. 1 for me, along with the 6cyl and manual.

I got the manual just because i've always prefered manuals. Either tranny is fine as long as you dont have a 4 cyl. 4cyl'rs are only good if it's gonna be a crawler or strictly off road. Daily driving is just horrible with them. No power.

And yes, you can get 200k out of the 6cyl motor. It's a great motor and with proper maintainence and care, it'll last forever.

Here's my jeep...

post-23959-1172247488_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know its alittle late but I thought I would chime in. I am an avid jeep fan and offroader. The straight 6 is bullet proof, You can hold the pedal to the floor at 9grand and it will run out of gas before it blows. That motor with decent up keep will run into the 300k Range. I am mostly a Cherokee guy but as for wranglers you wanna make sure you get a manual. AX-15 Is the best manual Tranny for them I think, The BA (Peugtio sp?) Is a peice of junk. If you plan to offroad it, Look for one with a Dana 44 Axle because the dana35 is junk and will snap under load with any tire bigger than 31". I just recently sold my jeep to buy a toyota to haul my banshee in but will be picking another one up soon. They are definently worth it and very fun. And when you goto buy some upgrades http://rustysoffroad.com Great guy to deal with makes awesome stuff for them at a great price. And for the bansheehq of jeeps http://jeeps-offroad.com

Hey everyone, great news, I got my Wrangler. Its a '97 with 90,000 miles, I got the 6 cylinder with a 5 speed tranny. Soft top with half doors. The Jeep is 100% and I love it. The color is a dark green metal flake and the top is black. Thanks again for all the replies, they really really really helped me decide what to buy.

-denny

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have had 4 and love them. never get the auto in the 97 and up cause that tranny is junk and if you drive it every day the soft top gets old. if you drive it everyday you will want the hard top and the hard doors. Also if you plan on putting bigger tires on it make sure you have decent gears. i just got rid of my 02 wrangler x that i had 32's on and it was miserable to drive and couldn't use 5th gear cause it dint have the balls to turn the tires even with the 4.0l.

I just got rid of that 02 and 3 weeks ago bought a 2005 rubicon and hands down the best ever. If you can afford one thats the best way to go. everything is upgraded and comes with 31's from the factory along with rear disk brakes, dana 44's with 4.11's, 6 speed, and you can lock the axles with a push of a button and make the diffs spools. the thing is nasty.