Will my suspension plan work?

wimpywade94

It really depends on how you are setting it up. For Flattrack the banshee length shocks would probably work well. For normal riding and mx I think the 250r, 400ex, 450r length shocks would be perfect.

i would agree with that (not from personal experience with them tho, just based off of overall length).

but i will add, for the umpteenth time, the stock YFZ450 shocks work very well also!

more then enuf suspension for a "joe schmo" like myself.

Edited by Mullet Man

I'm not 100% sure either, but it SHOULD work. I've got two sets of YFZ a-arms for mine and my son's Banshee, last weekend I fitted them up to his with the stock shocks (the lower shock mount bushing on the shock needs to be ground slightly to fit-less than 1/16" on each side). I think the stock shocks drop the front end more like 2", and the have very little travel (again STOCK Banshee shocks, i.e. one step above rigid suspension heh). This would work awesome on an oval/ST track along with a lowering link on the rear...I'd try it on TT but it might be a 'lil harsh on a larger table.

I ran out of time and couldn't try my Works triples on the YFZ a-arms though, got a desert race this weekend and need the frontend high. I'm still waiting on Works to call me back on this year's sponsorship (Ray just had surgery and has been out for a week or two), but what I have in mind is two sets of TRX450R shocks from them; they offer them in a triple-rate AT Steeler with long travel (2" more travel on a 450R with stock a-arms, it says something about 12" of travel but I dunno for sure if the balljoints will allow that much at the wheel or not) for $519 list. I'm confident that they can spring & valve them just right and I'll be on par with the 450's running aftermarket suspension (at a quarter of the price).

Anyway I would try 'em and see what happens, worst case have 'em revalved/resprung and you'll have like new shocks...

I'm not 100% sure either, but it SHOULD work. I've got two sets of YFZ a-arms for mine and my son's Banshee, last weekend I fitted them up to his with the stock shocks (the lower shock mount bushing on the shock needs to be ground slightly to fit-less than 1/16" on each side). I think the stock shocks drop the front end more like 2", and the have very little travel (again STOCK Banshee shocks, i.e. one step above rigid suspension heh). This would work awesome on an oval/ST track along with a lowering link on the rear...I'd try it on TT but it might be a 'lil harsh on a larger table.

I ran out of time and couldn't try my Works triples on the YFZ a-arms though, got a desert race this weekend and need the frontend high. I'm still waiting on Works to call me back on this year's sponsorship (Ray just had surgery and has been out for a week or two), but what I have in mind is two sets of TRX450R shocks from them; they offer them in a triple-rate AT Steeler with long travel (2" more travel on a 450R with stock a-arms, it says something about 12" of travel but I dunno for sure if the balljoints will allow that much at the wheel or not) for $519 list. I'm confident that they can spring & valve them just right and I'll be on par with the 450's running aftermarket suspension (at a quarter of the price).

Anyway I would try 'em and see what happens, worst case have 'em revalved/resprung and you'll have like new shocks...

You don't want 450R long travel shocks. You want standard travel ones. The shock bodies are longer on the LT shocks, therefore when you jam them into your setup, you will actually have less travel because the shock will allready be compressed a few inches.

If you have the 450 arms on your quad now, the best thing I think you can do to get the perfect shocks is remove one of your shocks, let that spindle assembly all the way down so that the balljoints are holding it at their limit of travel. Then measure from center of top mount to center of bottom mount. Subtract a little bit from that measurement because you don't want the ball joints taking impacts like that. This will help immensely with choosing the proper shock length. If you do this please let me know your results.

You don't want 450R long travel shocks. You want standard travel ones. The shock bodies are longer on the LT shocks, therefore when you jam them into your setup, you will actually have less travel because the shock will allready be compressed a few inches.

If you have the 450 arms on your quad now, the best thing I think you can do to get the perfect shocks is remove one of your shocks, let that spindle assembly all the way down so that the balljoints are holding it at their limit of travel. Then measure from center of top mount to center of bottom mount. Subtract a little bit from that measurement because you don't want the ball joints taking impacts like that. This will help immensely with choosing the proper shock length. If you do this please let me know your results.

I will do that. I took some measurements before & after the YFZ arms and it's damn near dead on +2 width and +1 forward. I planned on taking as precise measurements as I could when I talk to Works, just like you said; fully extended (less a hair so the balljoints don't slam at full extension), fully compressed, upper & lower mounts from pivot/centerline. I'm hopeful that something relatively off-the-shelf will work, I don't care if it's for a 450R or LT450R or whatever, just don't want to shell out the cabbage for a full-on custom...