BRC ALERT: LEGISLATION TO BAN ALL OHV USE BY KIDS UNDER 12

pipebomb

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

I just got off the phone with Nick Haris, Western Representative for the American Motorcyclists Association (AMA). Nick also serves on BRC's Board of Directors. Nick asked BRC to forward the news about an important rally planned for Tuesday, February 13, 2007 on the Capitol Steps in Salem, Oregon (3:00 to 5:00 p.m.).

This important rally has been organized to show opposition to legislation that would prohibit children under the age of 12 from riding Class I (ATV;s) and Class III (motorcycles)

The bill is known as "Senate Bill 49" or "SB 49" and was introduced into the 2007 Regular Session by Sen. Alan C. Bates (D-District 3) and Sen. Richard Devlin (D-District 19).

SB 49 has two components. One is to prohibit the operation of ATV's to children under the age of 12 and would limit the size of ATVs ridden by children ages 12 to 15 years to 90cc's. The other requires the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department to produce informational materials regarding state laws, safety requirements and training programs and to distribute them to powersports dealerships. . Retailers would be required to distribute the materials to ATV purchasers at the time of sale. ATV retailers would also be prohibited from selling vehicles according to age limits and engine displacement limitations.

Nick wants us to get the word about the rally to all BRC members. Please plan to attend.

Nick says:

"Please bring posters and signs showing you support this important family recreation. No additional quads or bikes will be allowed due to the permit (but a truck/trailer loaded with them parked on the street looks great). If your group has any safety information to share with the public please bring that as well. You will need plenty of quarters to feed the meters. Please encourage all that attend to be respectful.....best foot forward.... "

If you have any questions about the Rally you can call Linda at 503-394-2180.

If you can't make it to the Rally on Tuesday, please contact your legislator immediately. You can easily locate your Oregon State legislator via the web at: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ (click "find your legislator" on the left)

Here is some information that may help you when you contact your representatives:

Be polite.

Be sure to tell them you calling to express your strong oposition to SB 49.

Mention that Off-Highway Vehicle use is a family activity. Tell your legislator that banning the use of ATV's and motorcycles by children under age 12 and severely restricting riders under age 15 by limiting them to those vehicles under 90cc's is not acceptable.

Explain that this bill simply penalizes responsible citizens for the actions of a few irresponsible riders.

Tell you legislator rider education, parental responsibility and enforcement of existing law is the key to preventing accidents, not penalizing responsible families.

Also, be sure to mention that the backers of this bill did not consult with industry, riders or the business community and have instead chosen to move ahead with this legislation regardless of the actual effect it will have on the states economy or families.

Ask your legislator to oppose this bill.

Thank you in advance for your involvement.

As always, if you have any questions or comments please call.

Brian Hawthorne

Public Lands Director

BlueRibbon Coalition

208-237-1008 ext 102

hell, i've seen many kids 12 and under that ride better than some adults in the area that we ride. no joke. i apologize that i didn't read it, it's too long for me. but, i get the jist of it just from the title.

I have put my call in, I live in a big duning town in oregon and if this bill goes into effect, it will severely cut the number of the people who come down here and spend money in our economy, Not to mention people will just leave there kids at home and come down here kid free and be idiots. I got my first banshee at age 10 And I had a CR 125 when I was 8. This bill is crap. Put a 15 year old grown boy on a 90cc bike in the dunes and see how far he makes it.

I was on my first shee just before I turned 15 and I rode better then probly than I do now. They should have taken that away so that I would have done something better with my time like do lots of drugs and drop out of school to have bastard children instead of doing something worse like having good clean fun while riding,. if I cant ride I can always go vandalize something or steal a car. WTF. If they have someone to watch them who cares. My daughter is 8 and shes learning to ride my old ass lt230, just not without me.