Oil fouled plugs

KingSpade

my plugs seem to be oil fouling. the plugs still spark and operate but when i pull them they are dark brown and wet. i have stock pilots, 270 mains, dynojet stage 3 "304" needles. i guess the stage 3 is for mildy tuned engines with airbox REMOVED with clamp ons. so i ordered the stage 2 for the shorter needle. my air mix screws are at 1 1 /2 out do you think it could be the screws or the needle?? i dont really think i should go down any on the main jet. temp has been below zero to about 20 above lately, and i am at about 700ft. what do u guys think??

Edited by KingSpade

Getting a shorter needle would richen it even more would it not. Due to the needle being shorter, so there is even less slant in the main jet. I'm not sure what your jetting should be but guys will be able to help you out. And yes what is your mixture at? But remember just changing your mixture isn't going to change the jetting on your bike.

Getting a shorter needle would richen it even more would it not. Due to the needle being shorter, so there is even less slant in the main jet. I'm not sure what your jetting should be but guys will be able to help you out. And yes what is your mixture at? But remember just changing your mixture isn't going to change the jetting on your bike.

Actually, changing the oil mixture rate does affect jetting to a small degree. This is why: If you go from say 40:1 down to 20:1 there is more oil in your gas. Your jets flow a certain volume of this mixed fluid per minute. So if there is more oil, that means there is less gas flowing through the jets. Therefore, you are now running slightly leaner than you were at 40:1.

But to the original question. I believe that mixture rate is 36:1.... You should be fine with that. I don't think you are oil fouling them. It sounds like you are a little rich on jetting. When you read plugs, agtually look at the ceramic down inside the plug for the color, not on the threads and such. You want it to be a nice light brown color.

Actually, changing the oil mixture rate does affect jetting to a small degree. This is why: If you go from say 40:1 down to 20:1 there is more oil in your gas. Your jets flow a certain volume of this mixed fluid per minute. So if there is more oil, that means there is less gas flowing through the jets. Therefore, you are now running slightly leaner than you were at 40:1.

But to the original question. I believe that mixture rate is 36:1.... You should be fine with that. I don't think you are oil fouling them. It sounds like you are a little rich on jetting. When you read plugs, agtually look at the ceramic down inside the plug for the color, not on the threads and such. You want it to be a nice light brown color.

yea i am having some of the same problems below 0 does have a problem with the machine

make sure the thing is actually getting to running temps then make sure the fuel is actually fuel and not water

in there. gas floats on water.

could be a problem with the cold weather and condesation.

Yes I agree, but all i ment was that you should not try to change your fuel mixture to get the appropriate spark plug colour. I've seen many people come on here and think that their bike is running rich, so why not just lean out the mixture. Yes that will help, but you have to actually take apart the carb and jet it accordingly. That's all i was trying to say :beer:

How often do you foul a plug?? Once a year isn't bad at all, you should change them anyways...my plugs always look black and shitty after normal riding, but after a wot run, they clean right up...If your fouling plugs all the time, then go back to a stock needle and try different clip positions, the shee will either like it or hate it..find the sweet spot and shee won't foul plugs...DO NOT change the oi mixture. Your mains are lean if anything. Also make sure you warm the shee up before running hard, you can actually foul a plug by revving a motor cold.

How often do you foul a plug?? Once a year isn't bad at all, you should change them anyways...my plugs always look black and shitty after normal riding, but after a wot run, they clean right up...If your fouling plugs all the time, then go back to a stock needle and try different clip positions, the shee will either like it or hate it..find the sweet spot and shee won't foul plugs...DO NOT change the oi mixture. Your mains are lean if anything. Also make sure you warm the shee up before running hard, you can actually foul a plug by revving a motor cold.

i dont fould them to where they done operate they are just very wet looking and a little browner than i would like to see, maybe that is a good thing to be running a little on the rich side. but i did get the stage 2 jet kit which is what i should have ordered in the first place. so should i leave it as is or put the stage 2 needles in?

Mix rario definitely affects a/f ratio. Pick an oil and a mix ratio and jet accordingly. Do not change mix ratio once dialed in. The combustion cycle doesnt care how much oil is there. Only fuel and air. With more oil comes less fuel.

Mix rario definitely affects a/f ratio. Pick an oil and a mix ratio and jet accordingly. Do not change mix ratio once dialed in. The combustion cycle doesnt care how much oil is there. Only fuel and air. With more oil comes less fuel.

yea the fuel/oil ratio will effect jetting a little. gas is very very thin and will move roll leak a ALOT faster than oil,. so if you have More oil in your gas the slower it will jet or vacuum up a small little dinky hole in your main. If your dialed in,. ratio change may throw it off a bit. going from 25:1 to 32-40:1 will make it run richer.