PLASTICS SCRATCHED/FADED

HARRY64CHEVY

there is a guy in coffeyville kansas that uses a buffer and buffing compound and makes old fenders look new. The plastic renew stuff doesnt work very good so i dont recomend that, it makes fenders shine until you wash it once. i will see if i can find out waht kind of compounds he uses and post it.

The plastic renew stuff doesnt work very good so i dont recomend that,

i have to disagree with you there......

if plastic renew is used EXACTLY as the directions say then it works wonders

i can say that from personal experiance

well worth the 18.00 IMO!

Dan

there is a company called MALCO that supplies products for car detailing and body shops.if you can get ahold of them, there is a product called RESTOREIT.get some of that.wetsand the plastics with 2000 grit paper then use a rotary buffer and soft wool pad at about 1800-2000rpm.they will shine like you never seen before.

If you're looking for a "ghetto shine", Turtle Wax F21 super protectant works great. I'm constantly in the trails. Trees and shrubs get the best of my plastics and wet sanding the plastics would be a waste of time. Plus, when you use the ghetto shine, dirt and mud that gets on the plastics wash off easier. It's a lime green bottle that's used primarily for interiors of cars. I love it. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

first off if you use plastic renew make sure you read the directions right and if you do that that system works very very very very well. it took alot of deep scratches out of my plastics then i lost the pack some how so now its not very full of scratches, and once i got the scratches out i used high quality platinum tire gel from target for like 8 bucks a bottle and put a little bit on a nice terry cloth and rub that stuff in nicely, no need to use sparingly, use that stuff man, with a terry, elbow grease shee will be shining like no other. freshly sanded plastics+tire gel= HELL YEA! haha well thats my 2 cents.

n o ya the tire gel also helps repel water and what not, it just beads off.

The Eastwood company has a product and special buffing pads for doing old lights off of cars. Makes old tail lights and side marker lights look new again. You might check with them. I just used this wheel as an example. There are many others you can use.

p568.jpg

Eastwood Plastic Buffing wheel

Eastwood Plastic Buffing Compound

p23424.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had someone send this information to me on another site. I haven't tryed it yet but I figure what the heck.

Here is a way to avoid spending hundreds of dollars for new plastic - It will make all but the most abused plastic look like new - especially White plastic. I have found the results to be better than painting or using plastic renew.

This process is only outdone by multiple stages of meticulous wet sanding... but with this method, you get about 90 percent of the results of wet sanding with less than 10 percent of the work!

Best of all, it's not only EASY, but fairly CHEAP, and it WORKS! It is easy and cheap enough to use every ride if you want.

And its a GREAT way to sell a quad - I've done it!

This is a PROVEN method, I've been using it for years. If you are skeptical... just try it! You won't believe how GREAT it works. Ten full years on my quad, and all the plastic on it is original!

DIRECTIONS

1. Wash off ATV using a mild soap and water.

- Be sure you are in the shade (you need working time).

- If muddy, I usually wet it down a few times first.

- Don't get it crazy clean just fairly clean, I use a tire cleaning brush.

2. While quad is wet, smear on a straight coat of regular Dawn brand liquid blue dish soap - yes it HAS to be Dawn.

3. Now sprits on Fantastik cleaner out of the spray bottle - yes it HAS to be Fantastik. (These two products set up a chemical reaction that cause a mild chemical striping of the plastic - really).

4. Scrub the mixture in with a tire brush. Difficult areas with heavy scratches can be cleaned, lessened (or possibly even removed) with a green scrubby like your wife uses to clean pots and pans.

- During this process you will see your brush/scrubby becoming the color of the quad - don't freak out - this is ok, it's what makes it work.

5. Now rinse off and notice how clean it is! Even ground in dirt and oil stains are gone. White plastic looks brilliant again!

6. Want it to shine now? Four methods work good...

- Least amount of work: Tire cleaner shine out of a spray can.

- Next least amount of work: Mop-n-Glo Floor wax

- Little more work but looks good and even smells good: Lemon Pledge furniture polish out of spray can

- Best (best looking and best for the machine): Protect All spray on wax and UV blocker Available in dept stores in RV section

www.protectall.com

- Avoid WD-40 it's a solvent!

7. Admire your quad looking the best it has since you bought it, in fact, it may have never looked this good!

Man i used those little Leather Wipes one time cause i didn't have nothing else and it got alot of the buff marks out, as far as the scratches i heard use a little piece of fine sandpaper and then put a little coat of wax over it.