Question for you people with diesel in freezing temps

well i got a 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Deisel... and thats what we where talking about being in Omaha... i guess cranking wouldnt be the problem... i should probly worry more about the coolant freezing and cracking the block as it melts? i dont know im not from anywhere that gets that cold :)

Don't worry, your 06 Cummins will not freeze and crack the block. Maybe if it was on old 53 Block and it was very very cold, but those are in the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. Your Grid Heater will work great in the 0-10 degree weather you will be seeing. When i used to work at a ski hill, some nights we would see -43 degree weather, yea i plugged it in those nights ovbiously, because at those temps you are basically screwed. You have nothing to worry about, the most your truck will do is dime the lights a little while the truck is running because the Grid Heater draws a lot of amps, so it dimes your lights. And in my opinion, the Grid Heater on the Cummins are better designs than the Glow Plugs. Shit, your Grid Heater wont even have to run that long at 0-10 degree weather :yelrotflmao:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glow plugs in my 2001 cummins take a lot longer in the winter, even as long as a couple mins when its really cold. with 2 batteries though crankin over has never really been a problem. ive had my truck 4 years and never plugged it in over night..

That must be some damn cold weather to hold them on for 2 minutes. Yea the batteries on our 99 are damn good, had the truck 8 years now and still the stock batteries :thumbsup:

Ok i got to add this in here too,lol It's a Cummins VS PSD Cold Weather Starting, just be glad you have grid heaters :thumbsup:

Edited by Dinner

not sure the exact temps its rated too but i know either way its not getting that cold in omaha anytime soon :)

edit: i got better chaces of being lifted away by a tornado and then struck by lightening :)

Do you have any pics of your 06? I can't wait until the new 6.7L :biggrin: But then again i'm just a 17 year old teen all excited :yelrotflmao:

Dinner

i just went outside and snapped 2 quick shots.. just stock nothing done to it... got other toys to build before i worry about it... but i love it so far great truck, puls the shit out of my toyhauler... not a wink going through the mountains...

after im done with other shit im spending on i plan on lifting it and doing some yadda ya to it but thats no where in the near future.

dsc02047uk1.jpg

dsc02048xq4.jpg

I have never seen a problem with glow plugs. Just be careful of the fuel you buy. Unblended fuel will gel. My dad used to add some unleaded to his tanks when he was going somewhere cold.

im sorry unbleded? and added unleaded gasoiline to a deisel? im not by any means a deisel tech but from everything iv heard that not the smartest thing you could do... they have much more compression and would cause the fuel to detonate am i correct guys?

to put it in the simplest terms diesel engines run on controlled detonation. no spark plugs. no external ignition source. Just compression and airfuel mixture.

umm yep got that one.. my question is he said his pops put gs in the tank... wouldnt that cause the motor to detonate becasue the gas will ignite much sooner then the deisel being th pressure in a deisel is muchhigher then a normal car motor...

i just went outside and snapped 2 quick shots.. just stock nothing done to it... got other toys to build before i worry about it... but i love it so far great truck, puls the shit out of my toyhauler... not a wink going through the mountains...

after im done with other shit im spending on i plan on lifting it and doing some yadda ya to it but thats no where in the near future.

dsc02047uk1.jpg

dsc02048xq4.jpg

Damn that's a sexy truck!!

Yea once you start putting money into it, you'll enjoy it that much more. Just get some Gauges before you start BOMBing :thumbsup:

I have never seen a problem with glow plugs. Just be careful of the fuel you buy. Unblended fuel will gel. My dad used to add some unleaded to his tanks when he was going somewhere cold.

Are you talking about the ULSD fuel that is popping up at the pumps? If you are worried about gelling, go out and buy some additives for your truck, that reduce gelling, clean injectors and boost cetane levels. It's better to boost cetane levels when it's cold out anyways.

Edited by Dinner

im sorry unbleded? and added unleaded gasoiline to a deisel? im not by any means a deisel tech but from everything iv heard that not the smartest thing you could do... they have much more compression and would cause the fuel to detonate am i correct guys?

I'm not talking a huge quantity. 10-15% unleaded on a fillup.

The paragraph below explains the difference between #1 and #2 diesel. Adding the unleaded just creates a slightly thinner fuel. It may not sound smart but the old man has owned at least one million mile truck(semi). He must be doing something right.

Fortunately, large truck fleets and petroleum marketers such as truck stops and wholesale fuel suppliers are capable of improving the winter quality of diesel by blending a lighter diesel stock, commonly referred to as No. 1 diesel, into the regular No. 2 diesel. They may also achieve positive results with the use of additives. In either case, they can save money and avoid potential down time by knowing the cloud point of the fuel before the blending or additive treatment.

i would say pluging them in if left out side is a big help, the block heater.you can also get fuel additive to help keep the fuel from jelling. the new diesel fuel realy sucks. i have never heard of adding gas to diesel fuel i will ask some of the techs i work with on that one some add atf but thats for cleaning not freezing

I'm not talking a huge quantity. 10-15% unleaded on a fillup.

The paragraph below explains the difference between #1 and #2 diesel. Adding the unleaded just creates a slightly thinner fuel. It may not sound smart but the old man has owned at least one million mile truck(semi). He must be doing something right.

Fortunately, large truck fleets and petroleum marketers such as truck stops and wholesale fuel suppliers are capable of improving the winter quality of diesel by blending a lighter diesel stock, commonly referred to as No. 1 diesel, into the regular No. 2 diesel. They may also achieve positive results with the use of additives. In either case, they can save money and avoid potential down time by knowing the cloud point of the fuel before the blending or additive treatment.

He is basically saying that Adding little amounts of Unleaded Gas to his tank of Diesel, creates near the same affects as adding No.1 Diesel to No.2 Diesel. Generally the cloud point is 5F-10F with No.2 Diesel, adding a slight amount of No.1 reduces the cloud point by 5 degrees F, making the fuel loss "cloggy" at those temperatures.

But since you are not driving in that cold of weather, no need to worry. Besides, doing this makes your fuel less lubricant, and could damage our fuel system due to the lack of lubrication.

I also think it's stupid that the newer diesels(07 and up) are being required to run ULSD, instead of the regular LSD. But that is IMO...

Dinner

shit! gas in a diesle motor. i wont try it. but yeah that video with the 6.0 i went through that this morning. mine didnt die like that 6.slow but it did rev alittle higher. yeah i run farm diesel in my truck and i havent had a problem they still put the sulfur in the farm diesel i think. its cheaper i know that. anyway nice dodge by the way. im not a real big fan of dodge. the drive line on dodge is great. but the truck it self cant hold up. sorry just what i experieced ive owned 2 and both of them fell apart. so i went to ford and i havent had a problem yet. got a 01 stroker at work with 300,000 miles and still running.