are pipes worth it on a stock engine

jet mech

unless you've jetted every bike you've ever owned..4 the xtra $40 just buy the complete kit

it comes with the correct jets and needles + air filter and step by step instructions 4 those pipes

optional hffs kit (same money but 2 into 1 air filter) makes it nice to delete bulky air box for carb adjustments

make sure u get the outerware 4 filter

if u get a smile riding ur shee with factory pipes...wait till you put the toomey pipes on....omg .. night and day :biggrin:

unless you've jetted every bike you've ever owned..4 the xtra $40 just buy the complete kit

it comes with the correct jets and needles + air filter and step by step instructions 4 those pipes

optional hffs kit (same money but 2 into 1 air filter) makes it nice to delete bulky air box for carb adjustments

make sure u get the outerware 4 filter

if u get a smile riding ur shee with factory pipes...wait till you put the toomey pipes on....omg .. night and day :biggrin:

Sorry...gonna have to disagree...especially with Toomey's jet kit. That kit comes with 270 and 280 mains, and that's for the kit that removes the airbox and puts a foam 2 into 1 air filter in place. If you run that on your bike and you're below 3000 or 4000 feet, you will blow it up, period....trust me.

At around 600 to 800 feet, that filter or K&Ns needed 340 mains on my other wise stock motor.

jet kits are a total waste of money in my opinion....get the jets one by one...and get it done right!

Sorry...gonna have to disagree...especially with Toomey's jet kit. That kit comes with 270 and 280 mains, and that's for the kit that removes the airbox and puts a foam 2 into 1 air filter in place. If you run that on your bike and you're below 3000 or 4000 feet, you will blow it up, period....trust me.

At around 600 to 800 feet, that filter or K&Ns needed 340 mains on my other wise stock motor.

jet kits are a total waste of money in my opinion....get the jets one by one...and get it done right!

The toomey kit does come with new richer needles though, and I've yet to see them for sale anywhere. But, yeah, the 270 and 280 mains are worthless unless you run with your airbox and no snorkel or something. I ended up with 330's at sea level with mine and K&N pods

The toomey kit does come with new richer needles though, and I've yet to see them for sale anywhere. But, yeah, the 270 and 280 mains are worthless unless you run with your airbox and no snorkel or something. I ended up with 330's at sea level with mine and K&N pods

Call Dynojet....that's who makes 'em. Or...you can get the needles only from Vito's.

They are longer, thinner with more clip positions for more adjustability...

If you call Toomey, they want 17 a piece for each needle, last I checked.

I found the Toomey Jet kit on clearance from Magic racing in the end of 05 for 29.99...so, I couldn't pass that up.

I spoke to Kim at Toomey, and they couldn't even sell me JUST the needles for that cheap!!

Christ....they're 39.99 for needles only from Vitos.

I'd just bump the clip and be done with it...:)

yeah a set of pipes will give you the best hp gain per $ pretty much. Just buy an aftermarket air filter set up and take the snorkel off the air box also.

Pipes are a good thing. The t-6's are more of a top-end pipe not really a pipe for just screwing around. FMF's gnarly's or Paul Turners are good mid-range all around pipes.

Pipes are a good thing. The t-6's are more of a top-end pipe not really a pipe for just screwing around. FMF's gnarly's or Paul Turners are good mid-range all around pipes.

your post rose some question so I contacted toomey and they said T6's are low to mid pipes for a specificly stock engine but I will notice a power gain in the top end from stock pipes

Edited by jet mech

:thumbsup: Well i made my decision and bought trinity stage IV pipes with the power flow K&N filter kit I will get it via UPS in about 3 days I will post some pics cause I know I will be proud as hell when I get them on also looking into single carb +4 timing and a cool head as far as domes I don't know enough yet to make the call on the size thank you all so much for your help if I didn't pic your favorite pipe, someday we can race and change your mind :woot:

Pipes are your #1 mod and will make a huge improvement..BUT be careful on your choice, as pipes vary quite a bit from one brand to another. Judging from your experience though, you could probably go w/ just about anything. As you ride your shee more and more, you'll get a better feel of where you want the power and be able to choose a better pipe...If I were you, I'd hit up ebay and find a good deal for a few bucks until you know what you want...Unless you can get your money back if you decide not to like the pipes later.