New Motor wont kick start

superdutymj

I did a complete overhaul of my '98 banshee and am having trouble getting it to kick start. i can pull-start it and it will fire right up moments after dumping the clutch. I can kick it over all day and it wont start. Once i pull start it it will run forever...as long as i dont let it idle. as soon as i come to a stop and try to let it idle, it stalls. With these symptoms, im tempted to think its carb problems, since those are the only things i didnt work over. i'd love some input before i tear all the plastic off again and pull the carbs for a rebuild. everything was running fine before the rebuild until a crank main spit out the rollers. i put in a new crank, all new tranny bearings, seals, yamabond on the casing halves, clutch, flywheel/stator, degree key (yes it's installed correctly, double and triple checked) .040 over pistons, and 18cc domes in my cool head. Im running 91 octane with octane booster and 32:1 oil mixture with Lucas 2Stroke SemiSynthetic mix oil. I built the motor to run race fuel, but my local vp dealer charges 6.75 a gallon so i went with the 91 and additive. I dont think this is a problem since it runs great when pull started.

I did a complete overhaul of my '98 banshee and am having trouble getting it to kick start. i can pull-start it and it will fire right up moments after dumping the clutch. I can kick it over all day and it wont start. Once i pull start it it will run forever...as long as i dont let it idle. as soon as i come to a stop and try to let it idle, it stalls. With these symptoms, im tempted to think its carb problems, since those are the only things i didnt work over. i'd love some input before i tear all the plastic off again and pull the carbs for a rebuild. everything was running fine before the rebuild until a crank main spit out the rollers. i put in a new crank, all new tranny bearings, seals, yamabond on the casing halves, clutch, flywheel/stator, degree key (yes it's installed correctly, double and triple checked) .040 over pistons, and 18cc domes in my cool head. Im running 91 octane with octane booster and 32:1 oil mixture with Lucas 2Stroke SemiSynthetic mix oil. I built the motor to run race fuel, but my local vp dealer charges 6.75 a gallon so i went with the 91 and additive. I dont think this is a problem since it runs great when pull started.

it might not be the reason it aint starting but with 91 octane and "octane booster" you are no where near the octane you need to run 18cc domes, you may pic up a couple points if your lucky but not the 15 or so you need with tht much compression, your asking for trouble, as far as your starting problem make sure idle screws and your air screws are adjusted corectly, they are what would cause it to die at idle

Since it won't kick start, or idle, I would start with cleaning both pilot jets really good.

I second that. I'd also take off the air filter(s) and look at the slides. If by chance the cable's in a bind or something, the slides could be open too much or maybe out of sync. If the slides are too far open it will never start kick starting. What do the plugs look like after you try to kick start it? Wet or dry. Dry=clogged pilot, too small pilot, etc. Wet=slides open too far,etc. But....................on second thought it would try to idle to the moon after you pull started it if the slides were open.................Yeah clean the pilot jets.

ok, sorry to take so long to respond, but just a little update on the no start condition: still don't start. I tore the carbs down to the housings, taking out everything and cleaning and blowing every orifice out with compressed air. still wont start. i have a KN filter on it so it doesnt have those butterflies in the air filter housing. this bike ran great before shelling the crank bearing so i can't figure out for the life of me why it won't start. i will fill her up with race fuel tomorrow and try that, but doubtful since it pull starts so easily. i'm thinking it may be weak ignition since it won't even kick with wd40 sprayed down the sparkplug holes.

after you clean your carbs.. make sure you the tube is connected between the carbs otherswise it will flood unless you pull start it cus it like having the choke on all the time would cause it not to idle too...

Hell yeah! I had the exact same symptoms. Check that little tube, it's a big PITA if it's not there.

Great news! the banshee rides again! It ended up being both my spark plug caps were bad. I can handle an $11 fix! I filled it up with race gas too, the VP 105 variety. it wasnt detonating with the 91, but the rings hadn't really been seated yet so i decided to play it safe and traded an arm and a leg for 5 gallons of fuel. Thanks everyone who responded for their help and time! This is a great forum and i tell all my banshee friends about it!