lotta smoke in exaust

fastrthnu

just got my bike running , but it smokes kinda heavy. I got castrol 2 stroke oil and mixed it 24:1 because thats what yamaha said to use, but I read alot of people use a 30-40:1 mix. Should I use more gas? Everything is stock still for now with air box lid off.

try 32:1 and see how much it smokes....If yo ulisted your jetting/ engine set up we could help a lot more

it was 270 main jet for toomey exaust, but I changed it to the stock 200 with 3rd clip setting on the needle and 2 turns out on the air screw. I have stock pipes for a few more months.

32:1 is pretty safe. mine literally had oil dripping out the silencers at 24:1 when stock. switched to 32:1 about 5 years ago - yamalube 2r by the way. you'd better do a plug chop anytime you make any changes to air flow or any major mods to be on the safe side, regardless of your premix.

• 2 weeks later...
32:1 is pretty safe. mine literally had oil dripping out the silencers at 24:1 when stock. switched to 32:1 about 5 years ago - yamalube 2r by the way. you'd better do a plug chop anytime you make any changes to air flow or any major mods to be on the safe side, regardless of your premix.

Could someone please tell me what exactly a plug chop is?.

is it real cold there??? that caster927 will gel up when cold .. i would also try 32 to1 and you be fine .. its it real cold you might change oil ... r shake your bike backand forth to get oil that already in tank mixed a lil prolly settled to the bottom...

i have been running caster for years and never had a problem even in sub freezing temps.

just to let you know once oil and gas is mixed it does not separate or settle to the bottom .

Edited by woodro77

Something most people dont know about mixing oil. Adding more oil is the same as changing jets. It leans the mixture a bit. 25to 1 is too much oil in my opinion. 32 to 1 is safe. 40 to 1 or 3 ozs per gallon is what I run. When its hot out I bump it to 32to1. 40to1 richens the mixture. Choose a ratio and then jet to it. Adding more oil 25to1 may need the next size bigger jet to keep it from running lean.