Wow My New System Slams!

The other day I went and bought 2 MTX 12's,in a box,with a 4000 watt Legacy Predator amp for $250 they arent stolen or anything this guys had em for a couple years and got alot of tickets and needed to move em,and these things SLAM,man I cant believe how hard they hit!!!!!Any of yall know where I can buy one of those remote that plugs into your amp and you can control your amp from your dash,also need to know what a good brand capacitor cap thing is and what they do?

A cap stores power for when you get the big hit, so the draw is less on the alternator, to charge the battery back up. I think I have a one farrad cap somewhere brand new, I can get you pictures if I can find it. The bass knob thing is over rated, if your system is set up right you should not have to adjust it.

does your head unit have subwoofer outputs? if so you can turn the amp up or down from there. id say if you dont have subwoofer outputs, then get a head unit that has them. otherwise, i dont think youre prolly gonna have a very clear sound using the high/low outputs to run your amp. you dont want anything runnin thru ur subs but bass.

I use an equilizer to to adjust the bass - it has a bass level adjuster so it's very easy to set the bass exactly how you like it........not like having to go through BS in the stereo menu. I have it mounted in-dash right below the deck and it will control 3 amps - front, rear and sub. It acts as a cross-over for the subs also but not not really much of an issue anymore because most amps have Hi-pass and Low-pass filter switch on them now

Edited by Tim C

The bass knob thing is over rated, if your system is set up right you should not have to adjust it.

That's not entirely true...I use mine for when I'm rolling through a bad neighborhood but don't want to shut my stereo off or all the way down....or if I switch from a rock CD to a rap CD I'll turn the bass up a bit. It does have more than one purpose

A cap stores power for when you get the big hit, so the draw is less on the alternator, to charge the battery back up. I think I have a one farrad cap somewhere brand new, I can get you pictures if I can find it. The bass knob thing is over rated, if your system is set up right you should not have to adjust it.

the knob isnt over rated cause u wouldnt want as much bass in george straight as u would nelly.

That's not entirely true...I use mine for when I'm rolling through a bad neighborhood but don't want to shut my stereo off or all the way down....or if I switch from a rock CD to a rap CD I'll turn the bass up a bit. It does have more than one purpose

I understand what you all are saying. The bass knob messes with the THD(total harmonic distortion) of the amp. The Non-fader, inside the radio is a cleaner way of turning up and down bass. MPO, is that if your system is set-up right you will never have to adjust for rap, country, metal, rock , ect, ect.... As far as EQ's go they are another way to distort a clean signal...

Anyhow, here are the pictures of the cap, as promised.. It's brand new never used, and has all the charging equipment still on it.

[/img]://www.northeastcoatings.net/tj/IMG_6721.JPG[/img]

[/img]://www.northeastcoatings.net/tj/IMG_6722.JPG[/img]

As far as EQ's go they are another way to distort a clean signal...

I wouldn't call an EQ a way to distort a clean signal but a way to adjust it to make it sound the exact way you like it. I can turn my EQ off and have it run just through the deck and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

Also I find myself adjusting the bass level different from satalite radio to a CD and alot of times from one song to the next because of the amount of bass in songs is always different.

Edited by Tim C

Also I find myself adjusting the bass level different from satalite radio to a CD and alot of times from one song to the next because of the amount of bass in songs is always different.

You're absolutely right...not all producers mix their music the same way. I personally like a heavier bass line in all my music, doesn't matter what style it is...the bass knob gives me that freedom to crank it up a little more to accomodate how I like to listen to my tunes...and no it's not distorted, lol :cool:

Oh yeah, Rebel, you can pick up one of those knobs on ebay...that's where I got mine; pretty cheap too. But, does your amp have the receptacle to plug one in? If it doesn't, you'll probably want to end up getting an EQ, or find a head unit that allows you to control the sub separately, like loco suggested

exactly.