compression tester

'04limited

hey guys just wanted to let you guys know that matco tools has a compression tester for like 18 bucks i was on the tool truck at work and found this one pretty good deal works great and it has a lifetime warranty from matco. Not sure how many people are mechanics on here or have access to a tool truck but it is a smokin deal compared to other testers. when i go back to work on wednesday ill post the part number for you guys. :thumbsup:

You need to make sure that you get the kind with the long thread end. I got one of those cheap o wal mart ones. It has the brass long threaded adaptor that threads on to the hose. I used a graduated dropper that reads cc. I put the brass adaptor on the hose then used the eye droper to find the volume of the inside of the adaptor. It adds +3 cc to the combustion chamber. I have 19cc domes and with my cheap o gauge it reads 125 psi. With my snap on compression gauge it reads 155 psi.

19cc's + 3cc that the cheap o comression gauge adds Total = 22cc 125psi normal for 2000 ft elevation.

19cc + 0 cc's that the snap on gauge doesnt add. total 19cc's 155psi normal for 200 ft elevation.

The snap on gauge doenst add volume to the head because the check vavle is right in the end of the hose.

The Cheap o wal mart gauge the valve is still clear up out of the head. I mean that adaptor is better than just using a short adaptor but not the best.

josh

The Wal Mart one doesnt press in. On the hose it has the short 14mm thread and short 18mm thread. You screw this long adaptor on to the hose for the 14mm long thread. The problem is that the adaptor is hollow in side and the check vavle for the hose is up out of the cylinder. This adds volume to the compression chamber. Here are some pics of the wal mart special.

100_1396.jpg

100_1392.jpg

100_1399.jpg

100_1400.jpg

100_1403.jpg

Here is my snap on gauge. It has individual hoses for each thread type. The Check Valve is in the very tip of the hose so there is no addition to the combustion chamber size. Pluse the snap on gauge doesnt read as high so the psi markings are spread out farther so it is more accurate and easier to read. Who really needs a compression gauge to read 300 psi on a gas engine?

Here is the pics of my snap on gauge.

100_1389.jpg

100_1388.jpg

100_1407.jpg

100_1411.jpg

100_1414.jpg

Do you see where I am coming from now?

josh

I got mine at advanced auto for 20 some bucks. I went to my mechanics to use his hundred dollar or so comp tester to see how on mine was. Same exact results. I dont know what brand name mine is but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

i have bought two gauges one from auto zone and one from kragen...waste of money, one doesnt work and the other reads like 30 psi higher.....

04limited, did you happen to get the part number for that matco gauge? sounds alittle too good to be true though being that the snap-on gauge is around $200+..and the matco ones i have seen are around $100+ etc..

craftsman sells a nice one for 60 bucks... but the didnt put alot of time into it when designing it... the fitting is round, rather then putting a head on it so you can wrench it in you have to use pliers and it chews the metal up...

bought the same one from craftsman, pretty nice kit , comes with alot of adapters even ones to do small engines , and plastic case.