Titanium Frame

tmac20031

If the fabricators weld it properly, stress relieve then temper it it is stronger, and about the same RC as 4340 steel. if they don't stress relieve it and temper it after welding then yes titanium is brittle and WILL NOT last as long as mild steel let alone a good chrome moly or 8000 series steel.

No Even if i had the money $7k for a hobby bike isn't worth it. Not for 21 lbs any way. Spend the money on suspension. You will be VERY happy with the results.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7000.00 you could buy alot of parts to make that thing un-rideable, with the kind of hp you could make for that kind of money, 21 lds wouldn't make any difference.

Reduce rotating mass, instead of static mass, that will save some power! switch to PTR pipes (stingers & silencers are aluminum), change motor mounts and other brackets to aluminum or titanium, switch your fasteners to titanium, rear brake, sprocket, & wheel hubs can all be changed to alum., Titanium chain, alum, or tri metal sprockets, losse the lighting, extra stud lengths, wires, & plastics, not to mention all the tors, air box & e-brake crap.

I'll bet with those changes you save yourself way more than 20 lbs and for a heck of alot less than 7g's.

7000.00 you could buy alot of parts to make that thing un-rideable, with the kind of hp you could make for that kind of money, 21 lds wouldn't make any difference.

Reduce rotating mass, instead of static mass, that will save some power! switch to PTR pipes (stingers & silencers are aluminum), change motor mounts and other brackets to aluminum or titanium, switch your fasteners to titanium, rear brake, sprocket, & wheel hubs can all be changed to alum., Titanium chain, alum, or tri metal sprockets, losse the lighting, extra stud lengths, wires, & plastics, not to mention all the tors, air box & e-brake crap.

I'll bet with those changes you save yourself way more than 20 lbs and for a heck of alot less than 7g's.

Best reply by far, thanks for the advice. Its people like you that keep this site alive. Very few members give good advice instead they like to just say random crap instead of actually expanding on the topic at hand.

You property of the materials that you seem to be keyed in on is modulus of elasticity. You can get around this by increasing sectional thickness so the material will not flex as much and there fore not fatigue Like I said, if the frame is properly engineered out of its respective material, then your original statment is still wrong.

As for your offer, I am interested in seeing which engineering books that you are misunderstanding. Just because you design and build things, does not mean that you know what you are doing.

Thank you, drive through. :laugh:

Are you an ME? I think so, it sure sounds like it. I'd also listen to this guy, he is right.

The Ti frame is one of those things, that I can't afford, and probably wouldnt be worth it for someone like me, but if I had all the money in the world, would I buy one, hell yes! Come on, anybody that says they wouldnt flog a light, fuckin' mean ass handling Ti banshee around an MX track is lying. :beer:

Are you an ME? I think so, it sure sounds like it. I'd also listen to this guy, he is right.

The Ti frame is one of those things, that I can't afford, and probably wouldnt be worth it for someone like me, but if I had all the money in the world, would I buy one, hell yes! Come on, anybody that says they wouldnt flog a light, fuckin' mean ass handling Ti banshee around an MX track is lying. :beer:

See, this is sort of another answer I wanted to hear. See, the another thing I want to find out is if I were to buy it, I want to know what reactions will be. Whether I have plenty of money or not, I just want to know if reactions will be "man that guys nuts for spendin that much money on a piece of crap like that" or "man that thing is badass".

And where else to find that out than fellow shee riders? :beer:

You property of the materials that you seem to be keyed in on is modulus of elasticity. You can get around this by increasing sectional thickness so the material will not flex as much and there fore not fatigue Like I said, if the frame is properly engineered out of its respective material, then your original statment is still wrong.

As for your offer, I am interested in seeing which engineering books that you are misunderstanding. Just because you design and build things, does not mean that you know what you are doing.

Thank you, drive through. :laugh:

Good Point made here.

If the fabricators weld it properly, stress relieve then temper it it is stronger, and about the same RC as 4340 steel. if they don't stress relieve it and temper it after welding then yes titanium is brittle and WILL NOT last as long as mild steel let alone a good chrome moly or 8000 series steel.

No Even if i had the money $7k for a hobby bike isn't worth it. Not for 21 lbs any way. Spend the money on suspension. You will be VERY happy with the results.

The people buying Ti frames arent really worried about suspension other than the hill shooters, which in that case everything on the frame is Ti from what I understand.

See, this is sort of another answer I wanted to hear. See, the another thing I want to find out is if I were to buy it, I want to know what reactions will be. Whether I have plenty of money or not, I just want to know if reactions will be "man that guys nuts for spendin that much money on a piece of crap like that" or "man that thing is badass".

And where else to find that out than fellow shee riders? :beer:

To be honest with you, you'll get a lot of mixed reactions. All I can say is you better have ALOT of other work done to be able to justify this.

If I saw a mostly stock banshee rolling around with a Ti frame, personally I would think that the guy has money, and is stupid. A Ti frame is going to make a difference no matter what, but I think you better have some kick ass Axis or better shocks on it, with some nice LT arms, a roundhouse carrier, and shortened/extended swinger, and like the best of the best parts. Otherwise, I think your gonna be wasting your loot, and you won't notice as much of a difference.

I would say, the 7k for the frame is barely a start as to the price of the mods you should have on it along with the frame. Just my opinion, and I'm sure people won't feel the same though. I always build on a budget, cause that's reality for me, but I don't buy stuff that I don't need or can't justify, this would be one of those things for me anyway. I ride woods, trails, and hillshoots, and it would be awesome to have, but I couldnt afford it, and I'm not good enough to be able to really appreciate the difference in the handling, speed etc.

Just think of all the beer 7k could buy. :beer:

Edited by LiftdT4R

Dude, 7 grand? Is it stock geometry? Is this a drag frame?

You're money is far better spent on something like the LSR Outlaw or a Leager 250R or equivilent geometry frame/suspension if your goal is just having a lighter more nimble machine.

I believe loboboy said the entire frame and suspension set up from LoneStar is 5600 and that will beat the shit out of this titanium frame, providing all it is is titanium without a change in geometry or something more benificial.

You would also have money left over also to put towards w/e else your bike may be lacking.

If I had the money to do so I would definately spend it in a diffrent way.