Dune Newbie

klineadam

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dunes are great! I'm not too sure how it is out there, but out here the number one tip is to keep a good eye out for head ons, bring a damn GPS so you don't get lost (good story about this one... I love Glamis during big weekends at night!) all the dunes look the same at night! That whole follow the light sh!t doesn't work for me! HAVE A GREAT TIME!

I had a damn nice YFZ450 with all the goodies... Rode the dunes for a season... Sold the 450 and got two Banshee's. Sand addiction!

welcome to BHQ

For a first trip I would opt for the best western in St Anthony, its right on the strip to the dunes. Its nice if you dont have a RV, the price is very reasonable, AC and a shower and a bed to sleep in. I would go for the haulers for strictly hill climbing and something like a sand star for every thing else. sand stars allow you to side hill where the haulers tend to slide the ass end out on you. Start the mornings with about 8-10lbs of air in your tires then less as it gets hotter in the day. the elevation at St A's is right at 5,000ft wich is a 190 jet I think, ask your local shop. There is Rexburg motor sports if you need anything, about 15 mins away. If you like to cut loose there is only 2 bars in St A's and there like a block from the best western. We like to go the monday right after memorial weekend, its alot less people and always seem to be a nasty ass storm the holiday weekend. we had nothing but hail/snow this year. MUST have a flag and registration, if your state doesnt have ORV stickers you can buy a ID sticker for under $20

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. We will be there again for 07' if you decide to go then we could get together for a first ride tour.

here is a some St A dune videos

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthonyvideos.htm

Edited by chevdodge

Thanks for all the great info Chevdodge!!! I cant wait to go. How often do you make it out there? What are some of the must see's on the trip, anything interesting out there other than the dunes? Sightseeing kind of stuff. Yeah that would be awesome to meet up with some of you down there one weekend, well have to figure something out!!!!

Thanks!!!

Hey everyone!

I was looking at makeing a trip to the dunes in Idaho sometime next year. It will be my first trip, is there anything a newbie should know to make the trip lots of fun with minimal problems. What tires seem to work the best??

yes for sure, ask the locals about the direction of the wind and drop offs, sand changes all the time with the wind. if your not famaliar with the area you might try to partner up with someone who is famaliar with the area. 175,000 people a yr go to the emergency room due to atv accidents. good luck and have fun..

Alright I have a stupid question im sure. What is a witches eye? Ive never been to the dunes before and just wasnt really sure what everyone is talking about.

A witches eye is a type of sink hole, or drop off into a funnel like formation. These can be really bad if you are blazing through the dunes and not paying attention.

• 3 weeks later...