Im a very upset kinda guy

DirtyFitz

I called a local performance shop and its going to cost me over $750 to fix my ride. Top end went and I found out that my step dad installed the dome on the left cylinder incorrect and now Tom @ Pro Design is going to help me out w/ the head and dome issue but local performance shop wants $80 per bore and hone on each cylinder, $175 for a port n polish per cylinder, and $200 for pistons, rings, gaskets etc....

So I did the math

$160 Boring/Honing

$350 Dune/Play Port

$200 Pistons,rings,gaskets

and probably another $150+ to get my coolhead replaced.

Im not going to give up on this damn Banshee, its been plagued with bullshit since my last rebuild but here goes another $1,000 in work and im gonna do my best to get it right this time.

I know some of you are going to refer other places for port work but I trust this guy, ive seen 2 of the bikes he's built and rode 1 and I have yet to ride something like it.

If I get a camera ill try and put some pics of the damage until then I want to thank everyone here @ the HQ that has and is going to help me :]

Dude, don't pay that much, that's gay. Do the work yourself. These things are NOT hard to work on. Hell, pull your top end off and send it to one of us and we could do it for half that. That's just plain retarded. You shouldn't include the price of the port job in the price to get it running again, you don't NEED it ported to get it running again, that's just something extra. If all you are concerned about is getting it running again, you are looking at $130 or so for top end kit. $20 for gasket kit, a machine shop should only charge you like $80 to bore BOTH cylinders. Buy your own hone thingy from a hardware store or online for like $35 and hone it yourself. That's...

$80 bore

$35 hone

$130 Top End Kit

$20 Gaskets

probably like $20-40 for shipping of this stuff to you.

That's like maybe $300, depending on what shipping would be for you.

Send your cylinders to someone like jeff at FAST. I bet he could do it cheaper than what your local performance shop is quoting you, and he is a professional who specializes in these particular engines.

I would bet you that his $175/cylinder port job wouldn't give you the power jeff's dune port would. Seriously give him a hollar.

Send him a PM and talk to him before you make any choices. Call around and do some homework a little bit. Your local shop is ripping you off and you wouldn't see the performance gains you would from a professional builder...who can do all the stuff you need for probably at least a little bit cheaper.

Or talk to some of us here on the board. If your cylinders aren't totally fuggered up, I know I could get it up and running again for a lot less than $750.

- Jared

Edited by BigRed350x

From Jeff's site, 90 for precision bore and hone.

You can get a COMPLETE top end kit, including ALL gaskets, pistons, wrist pins and pin bearings for 160.00 plus shipping.

Jeff's Work:

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/services.asp

Top end Kit (and Jeff can probably match or beat this price, but ask him)

Magic Racing:

http://www.magicracing.com/Wiseco-Piston-K..._p_133-135.html

Thanks BigRed, I just want to do this all the right way seeing how this is the 2nd BIG screw up on this quad trusting my step dad.

I wasnt going to port n polish but since I am pulling the cylinders I didnt see why not to. I plan on this being a 6-8 week project so that I can get the cash together and after that I was going to look for a shop or mechanic to help fine tune the bike.

I go to the dunes and am honestly upset when I see a pack of Shee's all running the hills and im stuck on some 4Fiddy.

Ill keep doing my homework for about another week, and find out what shipping costs are going to be and chances are im going to go through some people here @ the HQ.

Thanks BigRed, I just want to do this all the right way seeing how this is the 2nd BIG screw up on this quad trusting my step dad.

I wasnt going to port n polish but since I am pulling the cylinders I didnt see why not to. I plan on this being a 6-8 week project so that I can get the cash together and after that I was going to look for a shop or mechanic to help fine tune the bike.

I go to the dunes and am honestly upset when I see a pack of Shee's all running the hills and im stuck on some 4Fiddy.

Ill keep doing my homework for about another week, and find out what shipping costs are going to be and chances are im going to go through some people here @ the HQ.

Don't diss the 450's too much man. My 450 will get up and run with a LOT of banshee's. There are quite a few guys with pipes, head, reeds, and filters who will line up with me and find themselves quite disapointed at the end of the race. It's not hard to make the modern 450's fast. I have had both a hopped up banshee and a couple 450's and I like them both.

Good luck with your fix-ups. Keep reading around the HQ and see what you can find. LOTS of information over here.

- Jared

Edit: If they are ported, its a different story though. LOL

Edited by BigRed350x

If you're gonna port the cylinders, send your crank to whoever is doing the portwork to get it trued and welded. With a good port job, those 450's won't even be in the same ballpark with your banshee. good luck

I just rebuilt my top end Whole kit pro lites with gaskets circlips wrist pins bearings $139.99 at moto man in south east michigan. Ive never even seen the inside of a 2 stroke engine before But I had no problems whatsoever. Even bought a ball hone and honed em myself. bought a bore gauge and calipers to check piston clearance. Honed em out to .003 of clearance just like the weisco box said. All for under $300 $275 to be exact. Took me 3.5 hrs to completely put it back together. Ran the 3 heat cool cycles and checked torque each time , Used the carb cleaner trick to check for engine leaks all is good she rips like never before

You should never pay more than 40 per cylinder for a bore, hone, and chamfer. Shop around, any shop can bore. Eric Gorr did mine for that price and i got a complete new top end on ebay for 130 with gaskets and everything. When i was looking for a bore, i got quotes from $35-$140 per cylinder. Just find a good trustworthy shop.