Gears & Crosses

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

Gears

I have a stock banshee I bought new in 2000, the only mod is a K&N filter and no airbox lid, The rest is bone stock, including the gearing. I am running 21-12-8 haulers and mohawks on it. Removed the heel guards and front bumper, thats it . I have raced it against all the new four strokes as they have come out and this is what I have found:

400ex or equivelent- not even a race

raptor660-easily beaten,even if theyre piped or whatever

raptor700efi-closer but can still pull it up the hill (my buddy has one with pipe and rev box-still walked it)

DS 650-easily beaten but faster than 660 raptor

yfz450- these are fast, raced 5 times same guy and got out run 4 out of the 5 times, these are the first 4strokes that run.

450r-have not been able to line up a stocker yet, my buddy has one with a big bore on it and 12.5 comp ratio, he outruns me handily, I would like to see a stock one cause the are supposedly slower than the yfz.

suzuki450- I have only seen 2 riding around so far out there and havent lined up with one.

I weigh 225, so I am not some skinny kid on it either.

These races were in sand up sand mtn in Utah.

The only wild card is what mods they have done, pipes, etc on a raptor are not a problem but I have seen some on nitrous that look stock but are pretty damn fast and I am not even in the race.

Edited by hubco

I remember not long after I got my banshee I put some T-6's and vforce 2's on it with an air filter, those were my only mods at the time. Anyway, a guy up the street with a cleanup shop had a buddy stop by that had a Trinity built 400ex. It was ported, bored, ignition, gears, piped, full suspension...you name it. I just happened to be coming down the road headed to some wooded trails up the road and the guy flags me down. He tells me his buddy wants to race so he rolls it off his truck and pulls down the road to meet me. We line up on the street and his buddy flags us...he jumps right away and I dump the clutch...mine stands straight up and I grabbed another gear, the whole time smoking the tires and leaving two black marks. All I remember is hitting the pipe and it wasn't even funny how fast I went by this guy. The funny thing is I never looked back, I just kept going. 400ex's suck. :beer:

Im not saying Im the greatest rider, Im just sick of all the magazines saying how wonderfull all of these new machines are. Every time one of those bikes came out all they could do was rant and rave about how great they were and how they were faster than the banshee and it is all bunk. They claimed that the raptor was the king of the dunes, come on! How can a machine that flat cant climb all of the hills out here in our dunes with paddles on it be king. I can climb any dune here on mine, I may have to drop to second if its steep enough but it keeps pulling.4strokes make a lot of torque and all that does in sand is dig holes. Sand takes wheel speed, the same effect as like a mud dragster versus a diesel pickup, the pickup would drag the mud racer all over the place if they were chained together but all the torque in the world aint gonna get it through the mud pit.

On a good day with dry sand I can pull over the top of our sand mtn. in 3rd if I hit the bottom wound out in 3rd

all the raptors down shift about half way into second. But even if I have to down shift Im still pullin them over the top 6 or so legnths

Dont get me wrong they are nice machines and do have better suspension than the ancient banshee stuff, I actually really like the DS650 they are a much better bike than the raptor and faster stock Ive had some seat time one one.

I have a stock banshee I bought new in 2000, the only mod is a K&N filter and no airbox lid, The rest is bone stock, including the gearing. I am running 21-12-8 haulers and mohawks on it. Removed the heel guards and front bumper, thats it . I have raced it against all the new four strokes as they have come out and this is what I have found:

raptor700efi-closer but can still pull it up the hill (my buddy has one with pipe and rev box-still walked it)

yfz450- these are fast, raced 5 times same guy and got out run 4 out of the 5 times, these are the first 4strokes that run.

450r-have not been able to line up a stocker yet, my buddy has one with a big bore on it and 12.5 comp ratio, he outruns me handily, I would like to see a stock one cause the are supposedly slower than the yfz.

suzuki450- I have only seen 2 riding around so far out there and havent lined up with one.

The only wild card is what mods they have done, pipes, etc on a raptor are not a problem but I have seen some on nitrous that look stock but are pretty damn fast and I am not even in the race.

I know my one friend has a bone stock banshee and it will beat raptors all day

• 3 weeks later...

before i took my shee apart to slightly masage the motor my friends have 450 yfz with pipes and i would beat them buy about half a bike and the only mods i had was pipes and v force and out ran 660 raptors

I can honestly say that I've seen a DS650 wipe a stock banshee several times, and still beat it with Toomey t6 pipes. It

wasn't even that close of a race with the pipes. You must have gotten the baddest stock banshee ever built.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont forget tuning.

A 450 jetted incorectly, bald tires, etc can have different affects.

Rider

DS650 are top end monstors. How long was the race?

Stock banshee should be a 400ex if not you have some problems.

Weight vs HP and dont forget traction!