Long Rod vs Stroker

wildbansheeboy

What way to go Long Rod +5 OR 4MM STROKER. We are going to create another drag Quad and want to know whats better out of the two. I have a 4mm and would like to know whats differnt then a 5mm long rod .I was told the that a stroker puts out more TQ and a long rod revs higher(Top End:Drag ported cyl. and pvl stator no rev box.) what do u all know? :cool:

Edited by wildbansheeboy

What way to go Long Rod +5 OR 4MM STROKER. We are going to create another drag Quad and want to know whats better out of the two. I have a 4mm and would like to know whats differnt then a 5mm long rod .I was told the that a stroker puts out more TQ and a long rod revs higher(Top End:Drag ported cyl. and pvl stator no rev box.) what do u all know? :cool:

A long rod crank does nothing to displacement or stroke.

A 4mm crank adds 4mm to the stroke, giving almost a 10% increase in displacement, and a good increase in HP everywhere. A stock bore 4mm has like 373cc's of displacement vs 347 for stock.

• 5 weeks later...

the potential of a long rod is very good.

less rod angle towards the exaust side of the cylinders which means less heat and less drag, the inside parts spin eaiser, maybe a little less vibration and more cumbustion time hence the longer rod means the piston sits at TDC longer. so you get a more complete burn of your fuel, meaning more downard thrust on the powerstroke.

and by stroker if im correct...

a +4mm stroker only means 2mm up and 2mm down

which means about 0.160thou more of crank revolution

there are high possibilities of getting more RPM's out of a stroker motor VS say a stock stroke motor. it all depends on port area and port timing.

there are both pro's and cons about the long rod vs the stroker. they also make a very mean combination when put together!

Edited by JaysonP

and by stroker if im correct...

a +4mm stroker only means 2mm up and 2mm down

which means about 0.160thou more of crank revolution

there are high possibilities of getting more RPM's out of a stroker motor VS say a stock stroke motor. it all depends on port area and port timing.

incorrect, the rod has been moved 4mm lower on the crank... making it 4mm higher on the rotation of the motor... thats why you need 795 series pistons AND your domes cut... 2mm makeup on the pistons and 2mm makeup on the domes...

I agree the long rod won't do shit for power increase though.

agree or not, its a fact ...

incorrect, the rod has been moved 4mm lower on the crank... making it 4mm higher on the rotation of the motor... thats why you need 795 series pistons AND your domes cut... 2mm makeup on the pistons and 2mm makeup on the domes...

ok i stand corrected i didnt know how it was classified, the engines i build RC type when theysay 2mm stroker its 1mm up and 1mm down...

but thats now i know for thefuture :thanks:

but instead of cutting the domes

and cutting the pistons(chnges port timing)

any dont you justrun a base stack...i know port area will be increased and volume in the cases and transfers but its better thathaving more transfer time

less transfer duration = more snappy results.

but what do i know im a rookie member...

Edited by JaysonP

agree or not, its a fact ...

I think you had better do some more checking on the +4mm stroker, because I was told it was 2 mm further out, which makes for a total of 4mm increase, from top to bottom. A +4mm increase, would make for a top to bottom increase of +8mm. The 795 series or blaster pistons, only make up for the increase in rod length, that's why the domes have to be cut, or a spacer plate used, to make up for the increase in stroke of the crank. If you don't believe me, just call Jeff @Fastracing, and he'll straighten things out.

I think you had better do some more checking on the +4mm stroker, because I was told it was 2 mm further out, which makes for a total of 4mm increase, from top to bottom. A +4mm increase, would make for a top to bottom increase of +8mm. The 795 series or blaster pistons, only make up for the increase in rod length, that's why the domes have to be cut, or a spacer plate used, to make up for the increase in stroke of the crank. If you don't believe me, just call Jeff @Fastracing, and he'll straighten things out.

True... :beer: