Clutch problem

Toybreaker

Ok on the way up olds shifting from 3rd to 4th I lost any trans engagement.

After getting pulled back to camp i went and bought a new ball pushrod and torrington bearing upgrade for the clutch adjustment screw. Turns out the cable was extremely stretched so i replaced it.

Went for a ride and the trans shit itself(or so i thought) clutch is fully disengaged.

Upon disassembly i discovered the adjustment screw was galled and blue. I can move the clutch arm trhough its whole range of motion easily. however i can not get the ball out of the clutch basket.

I have all the parts to replace everything but how do i get that freaking ball out?

Pull the basket and bang it out? (I have a machine shop at my disposal so i am going to chuck it up in a lathe and ream the through hole to clean up any smeared metal.)

Ok on the way up olds shifting from 3rd to 4th I lost any trans engagement.

After getting pulled back to camp i went and bought a new ball pushrod and torrington bearing upgrade for the clutch adjustment screw. Turns out the cable was extremely stretched so i replaced it.

Went for a ride and the trans shit itself(or so i thought) clutch is fully disengaged.

Upon disassembly i discovered the adjustment screw was galled and blue. I can move the clutch arm trhough its whole range of motion easily. however i can not get the ball out of the clutch basket.

I have all the parts to replace everything but how do i get that freaking ball out?

Pull the basket and bang it out? (I have a machine shop at my disposal so i am going to chuck it up in a lathe and ream the through hole to clean up any smeared metal.)

Living up to your name huh Toybreaker? :biggrin: Pulling the clutch basket will not help because

the ball is not in your clutch basket. It's in your primary trans shaft. Try and tap it loose with another rod or punch and pull it out with a magnet. Otherwise you will have to split your case and remove that front gear pack and then knock it out like you were saying. Can you see it?

I mean your sure it's still in there and didn't fall out and roll under the work bench, right? :beer:

Oh yeah i can see it. Its in there and the clutch side of the ball is flat. I realized after looking at my spare bottom end that the basket didn't hold it. That sucks! I am going to glamis this weekend!

I have several long drift punches and a big ball peen. lets see if i can knock it loose.

Hmmm maybe just buy some 66mm pistons and put the drag engine together and dune it.

Umm, maybe Im missing something, but all it should take is a magnet. Even if the ball is welded to the rod, they should come right out. Oil might cause it to have a little stiction.

from the way he is expalining it the ball isnt welded to the rod one side of it is flat and it wont roll out... if its not moving when you push it a magnet isnt going to get it out. the metal expaded more then likely and is casueing it to stick... see if you can hit it with a punch and lossen it up if not try to heat the metal around the ball and make it expand some then tap it to break her loose.

yea but it cant be stuck cuz he said the clutch arm will move thru the movement. unless the rod and ball are seized out away from the clutch arm which could be a possibility...did you do any slowing down with the clutch pulled in? id say pretty much youre going to have to split the cases and press it out or maybe even get a new shaft. my bro welded his one time and we couldnt get it out for shit. had to get a new shaft...

Remove the left carb and pop out the clutch acuator ,so you can see if the end of the rod is mushroomed.If the clutch acuator will not come out the rod is welded to the acuator, you will then have to pry it out with a big screwdriver or small prybar.Once it is removed you can see the problem.You can either split the cases or you can get a diamond tip dremmel bit and grind the mushroomed part of the rod away.I used a magnet thru the hole on the clutch basket side to turn the clutch rod as needed while dremmling .Also the magnet will retreive any filings dropped from grinding. Once the rod is free of burrs it will easily slide out with the magnet.I had to do this on my sons bike about a month ago the dremmling part went pretty easy once I got the right bit. Change the oil after the first ride.

Good Luck

Mark

Edited by MDS2106

The clutch arm pulls out easily. no mushrooming. the pushrod and ball are stuck in the "out position" Magnet isn't cutting it. I have used both a telescoping magnet and a punch with a magnetic base with 200lbs of pull on it. NO BUENO gonna have to split the freaking case to fix it.

Good news is my friend has a spare motor on his bench he is gonna loan me for the weekend.

Just hope it holds together. I am gonna ride my ass of this weekend.

Gonna split the case and press the ball out with a hydraulic press. Then i am gonna ream the hole to get any smeared metal out of it. Put it back together and its all good.

Thanks for all the info. :thanks:

Yeah I coasted down olds with the clutch in.

I did get the ball and rod out after beating the shit out of it with a 2 pound ball peen and a 10 inch drift punch.

The punch was 9 3/4 inch when i finally got it out. Shaft is straight and unmarred but the ball and pushrod are DESTROYED.

I wasn't worried about getting it apart i would have frozen it with liquid nitrogen and then thrown it in a heat treating oven at 600 degrees for an hour. while it was still hot that pushrod and ball would popped right out.