how much power can a dirt digger clutch hold?

96bansheepilot

have a dirt digger clutch and don't know if i put more power on the bike, if it will hold. the bike seems to launch and shift just fine but i spoke to a guy at wicked motorsports and he says it is junk. would a lock up cure my worrying? if i did get a lock up, would it be just fine w/ the lockup?

the dirt digger clutches dont usually last too long with a good bit of power to them.. though ive been running barnett steels and springs with stock fibers with a lockup with no problems for a while..

when my new motor is done ill see how this set up holds up to alot more power..

• 2 months later...

We ran a dirt digger with a Wilburn Motorsports multi-stage clutch last summer. Here's what we found out.

1/4 mile Asphalt Banshee 7300 launch RPM

The bad:

1 - Without WAY more primary spring pressure the dirt digger slips much easier than other fibers.

2 - The Dirt Digger "muddies" the tranny fluid very quick. Had to change it often. (Every track day)

The good:

3 - The Kevlar clutch holds up to heat real well. Stay's fairly consistant when hot.

4 - For what we put it through it wore like iron.

We ran one of Jeff's clutches (FAST Racing) in 2005 and will likely go back to it next season :thumbsup: .

ive ran one in 2 motors i run a 8 disc. so far no problem but last time i looked at it it was loosing its rib on teh fibers. 6 springs also.

it will be replaced this winter though.

not saying its the best but i had decent luck with mine.

Well...this thread was from September...so, I hope he's found an answer by now.

I'd talk to John @ DynoEdge and see what he recommends for a clutch, he's got enough knowledge and some pretty fast drag bikes over the years....

That being said, I don't think you need a lockup until you start pushing the 80HP range or so.

I bought Jeff's clutch last year, beat on it...beat on it this year with my cub, and it's still doing just fine.

6HD springs make a big difference, add an extra steel in there....and a pancake bearing....

However, once you go lockup, you can go back to lighter springs for easier pull..

• 1 month later...