Keep Facing My Own Mortality

In December,one of my childhood friends died from an un-diagnoused heart disease,well since then i keep thinking about my own mortality and have realized that i am scared of dying,just thinking about dying gives me the cold sweats,I've tried to talk to my dad about,but his outlook on death is positive,"when the time come,the time comes"well this doesn't make me feel much better,I believe in God i'm 16 and i smoke and drink not alot but sometimes and maybe those are the things that scare me,I guess what i'm asking is my fear of dying normal?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In December,one of my childhood friends died from an un-diagnoused heart disease,well since then i keep thinking about my own mortality and have realized that i am scared of dying,just thinking about dying gives me the cold sweats,I've tried to talk to my dad about,but his outlook on death is positive,"when the time come,the time comes"well this doesn't make me feel much better,I believe in God i'm 16 and i smoke and drink not alot but sometimes and maybe those are the things that scare me,I guess what i'm asking is my fear of dying normal?

I am 41 and have had the same fear for many years used to keep me up at night,cold sweats all the same symptoms as you describe. I have had a hard time dealing with it as a whole.I guess I grew out of it or matured enough to realize there isn't a damn thing I can do about it except get busy living and quit spending my life worrying about it cause again there is nothing I can do about it and everyone is going to go eventually so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just want it to be quick adn geuss what? When you do go you won't know anyway youll be dead!!

Tim

So, live every day like its your last, and don't put anything off 'til tomorrow because one day tomorrow will never come............... :beer:

Exactly. Don't worry about what you can't control. Spend your whole life planning for the future, and you'll live your whole life planning. All those people that want to graduate, go to college, get a high paying job, blah blah blah. Fuck that, why plan your whole life out. Live life for the moment. I have old friends from high school that already have regrets about how they never let loose in college, and are starting their careers already. Shit, I've already been in school for 4 years, and won't graduate for at least another 2. But damn I've got some stories to tell.

At my age (54) it seems that people I know are starting to die. When I faced my own mortality a few years back (really bad wreck) I came to the conclusion that any day can be your last, regardless of age. If I was to give any advice on the subject it would be to try to live your life with no regrets. The only thing that bothers me about dying is regreting some things I've done in my life that I can't change and not doing some things that I should've or wanted to. Fred

Well one thing that might put you mind a lil more at ease is to quite smokeing. I used to do that alo probably did it for a year or so and then i chewed for 7 or 8 years until my gums bled everytime i brushed my teeth and got sores all over my tounge all the time so i decided to go cold turkey and i have been nicotene (sp) and caffene (sp) free for a year and a half. I get heart palapatation's and since i have quite drinking caffene and nicotene i have had very few. I aslo used to have panic attacks wich make you feel real scared. but i just started putting my faith in god and it has really helped. I mean dont get me wrong I am def not the perfect wittness I love to drink and have a good time but I think God has me here to whittness to those typ's of people. You dont have to be perfect to get saved. (it does help though) I guess i am going on and on but I hae a wife and 2 girls and I just get real scared sometimes about the same things cause i might not see them again but it has calmed down a lot now and I feel like i am actually living a normal life now.

If I was to give any advice on the subject it would be to try to live your life with no regrets. The only thing that bothers me about dying is regreting some things I've done in my life that I can't change and not doing some things that I should've or wanted to. Fred

Exactly...there is nothing worse than regret; alot of opportunities don't happen more than once, some good, some bad, but that's life.

Rebel3190, at 16 you've got your whole life ahead of you, and almost limitless possibilities. I ain't gonna dig up any statistics but you've already outlived a shitload of people that don't make it that far. I think your padre is right, death is a part of life and ya know what, none of us get out of it alive; dwelling on it will get you nowhere. In my own opinion, being a man is about facing your fears head on, dealing with adversity and finding out who you really are...

Ahh but what the hell do I know I smoke, drink, fuck, race a Banshee, eat red meat and listen to loud offensive music, and have a damn good time doin' it :evil:

i dont really understand the fear of death. is it because youve never really dealt with or experienced death before now? ive been dealing with death pretty steady since i was real young. from my grandfather, four year old cousin, friends, classmates, brother, grandmothers, teachers, etc etc it just happens man. worrying about it wont change that. life is what you make it. my best advice to you is to learn what really matters in life as soon as you can.

i dont really understand the fear of death. is it because youve never really dealt with or experienced death before now? ive been dealing with death pretty steady since i was real young. from my grandfather, four year old cousin, friends, classmates, brother, grandmothers, teachers, etc etc it just happens man. worrying about it wont change that. life is what you make it. my best advice to you is to learn what really matters in life as soon as you can.

No,this was my first head-on experience where someone i knew really well,3 of my grandparents died before i was born and my grandmother is still alive.

Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free. It is fact that you can't change the end, mabee prolong it but eventually.... Sometimes I get the same way, I'll see a dedication on TV to someone who has passed away at like 60 and I think fuck!, if I only live to be 60 nearly half my life is already over, and I start to worrie. I've only recently come to grips that no matter what I'm gonna be gone, it could be when I'm 106 or maybee tommorrow from a freak accident.

Like most have said, if you dwell on it life will pass you by, you have so much to look forward to...a life with someone special, a family, fast banshees and crazy amount of beer.

Relax man, do what you wanna do, don't let ANYONE stand in your way, raise your fist, signify you stand defiant.

Peace!

There are many changes coming your way,change knocks you out of your comfort zone and that is never any fun. The up side of change is that if you survive it (odds are that you will) it's one more fear you have defeated....an accomplishment, which adds to your confidense. Nerve racking change for me really slowed after the age of 25 or so.

My advice to you control as much as you can in life so set goals, if you become a victim don't stay one, make life happen, not the other way around.You're already ahead because you look for advice and stay teachable. Love life, it's a gift. Be interested in everything, if you're bored it's because your not bringing anything to the table. Fight selfishness, if you experience depression go help someone in need to get your mind off yourself. It's your life be proactive and the fear of death will go by the wayside!

Death was walking towards a city when a man stopped Death and asked, "what are you going to do"?

Death replied "I'm going to kill ten thousand people"

The man said, "Thats horrible"!

Death continued "Thats the way it is. Thats what I do"

As the day went on,the man warned everyone he could of Death's plan. It didn't help. In fact many more than 10,000 died.

At the end of the day he again met Death and he asked "You said you were going to kill ten thousand people and yet seventy thousand died"

Death explained "I killed only ten thousand. Worry and fear killed the others"

1 COR, 15: 54 & 55

......."Death has been swallowed up in victory"

"Where, O death, is your victory?

"Where, O death, is your sting?

im just curious as to how many people even know what reverened rkc is saying :shoothead:

I'm sorry everything I write Hd is a mystery to you, but I'll interpret my it for you.

Top is, get on with your life in a positive way. (like others)

Middle is a poem about Death explaining the real problem is worry & fear (10,000 vs 70'000)

(the heart of 3190's concern.)

Bottom is, scripture explaining Death is no longer a problem to those who believe! (he did say he believes in God)