How much HP?

If you ONLY have pipes, K&N filter, Reeds, and down 1cc on the head (stock is 22cc) which is what you've listed...and it said 66HP, I'm not saying you are full of shit, I'm saying that dyno is way off or broken.

You could have the best bolt on parts direct from Yamaha...you aint getting over 50Hp on that motor until you start porting it, period.

I'm not debating the fact the dyno said that, but I'm telling you with 100% certainty it was way off, peroid.

Not to mention, I think when Ricky Charmichael rode for Honda a few years back, HIS 450 only made 58 or 62HP... RC got parts Joe Byrd could only DREAM of... The forks on his bike probably cost more than Joe Byrd's whole quad...

Agreed 100%.Peaple always beleave what a computer prints out.But remember a computer is only as smart as the person telling it what to do.

To be honest, a dyno is really only good for one thing...

Measuring performance gains from mod to mod in a very close time frame.

You can pull a few runs, come back a couple days later and get different numbers everytime.

WIthin an hour or two period, though...changing pipes, jetting, ignition curves, etc, a dyno is a useful tool.

But...comparing dynos to dynos...there's no benchmark to compare the two.

Anyone in town is gonna go to the dyno that shows the most HP...and they're doing no real service for you...

If you go to Alba in San Diego..........here is there Dyno Excuse.........they claim they had a water leak that flooded the entire place......and water got into the drums and filled them up........and now they say that all the water is not out and some may still remain.........so there claim to fame is that it is 2-3 HP off......meaning if your bike prints out 65 on there dyno........your actually getting 68 HP :shoothead: :yankyank:

• 2 months later...

Dont you love a guy that brings up an old, dead post???!!! :banghead:

I just bought a 2002 Banshee and took it in for a tune up and Dyno. Previous owner says it doesnt have any port work done. What is does have is:

CPI pipes

Dual K & N's (no airbox)

Welded Crank

Wiesco Pistons

V-force 3 reeds

+2 timing

The Dyno done by DTR racing says I am running 54.6 hp....you guys are saying "no way" to over 50 hp on a non-ported engine?

I am very new to quads and just wondering.

:thanks:

When I got my Banshee the title said 49 hp. My friend had one with Toomey's, 2 into 1 air filter(no airbox), and mild porting( 3 - 4 hp), and the carbs set up right and his pulled 64 on the Dyno where he worked. They should be close to 60 with a fresh motor, pipes, opened up intake and the right jetting. The 2004/05 TRX450R's were supposed to have 33 and compared to my old stock Banshee, since you all say they are more like 35hp stock, I'd said the 450R didn't have but 20. My WR450 is supposed to have 47 the way I have it and isn't not even close to the power my Banshee had modded. Stock it was about the same as the WR is now. 49 might be a little high but not much. 2 or 3 hp maybe.

You have to concider weight. size of tires &rims when conpareing it would take doublein a quad to compare to a bike your wr

• 3 months later...
To be honest, a dyno is really only good for one thing...

Measuring performance gains from mod to mod in a very close time frame.

You can pull a few runs, come back a couple days later and get different numbers everytime.

WIthin an hour or two period, though...changing pipes, jetting, ignition curves, etc, a dyno is a useful tool.

But...comparing dynos to dynos...there's no benchmark to compare the two.

Anyone in town is gonna go to the dyno that shows the most HP...and they're doing no real service for you...

The numbers WILL vary but not that much that is IF the humidity temp ect is static, which of course it's not.

There are also alot of different kind of dynos.

There is one thing that is absolutely CRITICAL when your looking at dyno results. STD vs SAE corrected. If you ever go to a dyno shop and they give you a sheet that says STD they are trying to make you feel a certain way about your results. You guess which way. Dyno owners almost ALWAYS sell parts and install them, and they want their parts to produce results, there are a million ways you can manipulate a dyno if you know what your doing. If there is one dyno in town that puts up the biggest numbers, it's almost ALWAYS the busiest one, and dyno owners know that. So keep that in mind.

The shop I worked at consistantly put up the LOWEST results, because it was calibrated correctly and was not being manipulated in any way. It was also affectionatly named "the heart breaker". I have seen people literally say they wont pay for the dyno because they did not like the results. People who wanted to fight over it. John didn't care because he did not make his money dynoing cars, he made it tuning them. He died of cancer last thanksgiving. I miss that old friend.

That is actually the same dyno that my bike is going on this weekend. So we will see what happens.